• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms carry on TVA property

Fabricator

My wife and I decided to take a long weekend to Blue Ridge. We've been here before, and visited several of the usual sights; including the Blue Ridge Dam. We couldn't actually drive over the dam, as the road was closed to facilitate construction/repairs. While turning around, I saw a sign on the road (50' before the dam) prohibiting alcoholic beverages and firearms. We turned around at the construction barrier and headed to 515, where we went around to the back side of the dam, by the powerhouse. There were still "TVA" signs, but none prohibiting firearms. According to what little searching I could do from my phone while in the cabin, it seemed that firearms were allowed (by licensed folks) on TVA property. Am I correct here? Is the sign I saw on the road over the dam just pertaining to crossing the dam? I'm curious. All this was in GA FWIW.

Fabricator

Oh Shoot

Far as I've been able to find out, TVA no carry signs are supposedly enforceable under the "no carry in federal facilities" part of US Code.

It's generally just the "reservation" lands immediately around dams where we see those signs here. But the law defines "federal facility" as a "building", not land, so it's always been pretty gray, unless you were inside the dam building itself, seems.

In TN, the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency has jurisdiction of the shoreline parts of non-reservation TVA owned property, and they are not posted, and TWRA has stated that it's okay as long as you have a permit to carry (required here for open or concealed carry).

- OS

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Far as I've been able to find out, TVA no carry signs are supposedly enforceable under the "no carry in federal facilities" part of US Code.- OS

I bet TVA has a regulation published in the CFR just like the post office to ban guns anwhere on it's premises, including land, roads, and parking lots.

Have you checked?

Fabricator

Mike,

I'm still in Blue Ridge with my mobile (and poor signal strength), so it's something I'll be looking into. Today is our last day up here, so I'll look into it Tuesday when I have a full-size monitor!

Fabricator

johnfenter

"I bet TVA has a regulation published in the CFR just like the post office to ban guns anwhere on it's premises, including land, roads, and parking lots.

Have you checked?"

Unlike the Corps of Engineers, TVA has NOT published such a reg in the CFR; they rely on internal regulations and policies to ban firearms from TVA lands and facilities. VCDL has been working with GOA on fixing federal lands firearms regs, and done the research on existing restrictions. TVA is a direct target for VCDL since there are TVA lands in the western tip of the state...

Oh Shoot

"I bet TVA has a regulation published in the CFR just like the post office to ban guns anwhere on it's premises, including land, roads, and parking lots.

Have you checked?"

Unlike the Corps of Engineers, TVA has NOT published such a reg in the CFR; they rely on internal regulations and policies to ban firearms from TVA lands and facilities. VCDL has been working with GOA on fixing federal lands firearms regs, and done the research on existing restrictions. TVA is a direct target for VCDL since there are TVA lands in the western tip of the state...

Thanks. Yeah, none of the carry active groups/orgs here had ever found CFR mention either.

We of course have the greatest % of TVA lands and dams of any state, and really, we've found no incidence of anyone being charged under fed law with carry on TVA posted property. Maybe we just don't have many open carriers ON those lands, dunno.

I guess if you were taking a tour of a dam itself, it might behoove you to bite the bullet and disarm, though, whichever way you carry. :)

- OS

Last edited:

aadvark

To ALL whom are Concerned:

The Rules are Viewable here: http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/pdf/tva_recreation_area_rules.pdf

Furthermore, Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930 Prohibits Firearms in Federal Buildings, BUT such Laws are not Applicable in Federal Parks and Federal Lands, as was Passed under an Amendment to The Federal Credit Card Bill. Understandably, such Federal Laws do NOT Apply to or Effect IntraState Commerce, but Federal Lands are Federal Lands, however; State Parks Adjacent to Federal Parks in Georgia are Firearms Friendly under Georgia Code 16-11-126(g), for Georgia Weapons Carry Licensees.

The Federal Law Citied is The Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009.

aadvark

Last edited:

Oh Shoot

"4. Firearms and Weapons - TVA campgrounds and boat launching ramps may receive use by hunters during hunting season. While firearms and weapons are generally prohibited in these developed areas, possession of firearms and other weapons associated with in-season hunting excursions are permissible if they are unloaded and properly cased."

So, you could be charged with ... what?
Simply made to leave?

Furthermore, Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930 Prohibits Firearms in Federal Buildings...

This of course has a specified criminal penalty, unlike the TVA "rules".

- OS

Fabricator

Based on the additional information here, it appears as though the sign just before the dam on "Veterans Memorial Highway" (Old U.S. Highway 76), that prohibits firearms, is outdated; does this seem correct?

Fabricator

mountainpass

Here is a response I got from the TVA:

Thank you for your inquiry. We are currently reviewing our position regarding this issue. Currently unless otherwise posted, possession and use of firearms and other weapons is permissible subject to all applicable state regulations on TVA land. TVA doesn't allow hunting or the possession of firearms at developed recreation areas (campgrounds, picnic and boat launch areas), or power plant and hydro electric dam reservations as well as TVA office buildings.

Please email your Congressman and ask them to sign onto H.R. 1865 "The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act."

Also ask them to add TVA to this bill.

n24wheel

Tva

The answer is no. You cannot carry a firearm for self defense on any TVA lands or waterways developed or undeveloped. Under the 1933 TVA act, TVA can make a simple rule and it overrides any state law. TVA has a rule that does not allow it. You can have firearms on some TVA property for the legal purpose of hunting. As for waterways you cannot have it either. Navagatible waters fall under the Corp of Engineers and the law that allows carry in US Parks does not cover Corp lands or waterways.

TVA is changing their policy. I have been working with them for 3 years on it and I am told that it will be out in the next 30 days. For more info find the TVA thread on the www.tfaonline.org webpage. I will post it there when it is availible.

Note that it is a federal offense now. You can be arrested, fined, gun, boat, and vehicle confiscated if you have a firearms on TVA or Corps controlled lands and waterways under present law.

HR 1865 that we just introduced in the US House will correct both problems.
Read it here:

http://gibbs.house.gov/sites/gibbs....eague Recreational Lands Self Defense Act.pdf

n24wheel

Hr 1865

HR 1865 will not cover TVA or TVA lands.. It will only over lands under the control of the Corps. TVA is a seperate entity.