• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle police leave rifle unattended on cruiser

OrangeIsTrouble

It's okay, all that will happen is additional training and everything will be alrite.

More training!

By the fooking way, this is right around the corner from Meridian Regal theater and GAMEWORKS! Hell, if you exit gameworks from their side entrance, you'd be able to see that cruiser sitting there.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You guys are forgetting the "fact" that gun are always less dangerous when they are owned by police. Police guns secure themselves because they are specially trained...cmon everyone knows that

OrangeIsTrouble

Mo info!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/124662724.html

A source told KOMO News that the officer who is assigned to the rifle was cleaning out his patrol car inside the garage of the west precinct on Monday. The officer set the rifle on the trunk of a nearby patrol car, got distracted, and ended up leaving the gun on the vehicle.

Another officer assigned to that car got drove out of the garage for his shift, and made it a few blocks before the citizens notified him of the gun on his trunk, the source said.

He forgot that Starbucks didn't ban guns!

hermannr

How much do you want to bet that is not an AR-15, but a select fire M16 or M4? Barrel looks long enough to be a real M16, but the stock is???

Last edited:

oldkim

Oops...

I've done that... sort of...

I mean you have your hands full and what's more important... that cup of coffee or that AR????

You know you put the cup of coffee down so you don't spill it... I mean it sucks driving around with a cup of coffee sloshing around and dropping down your pants...

So, you go to put that coffee down and then you get distracted and forget all about that AR sitting nice and cozy on the trunk. It's not going anywhere...
30.gif

Ya, like his career ain't going too far after that show... oops
40.gif

amlevin

He says people should expect more from the Seattle police department.

Since when? When it comes to firearm security their former chief set the bar.

Besides, maybe they were just "trolling" for more terror suspects. Hoping they'd fall in behind and chase them back to the Police Station just like salmon chasing a herring plug:)

LibertyDeath

How much do you want to bet that is not an AR-15, but a select fire M16 or M4? Barrel looks long enough to be a real M16, but the stock is???

Does it really matter? Granted I highly doubt that it is an M anything and there isn't really anyway to tell without looking at the control lever or internal parts. It is still incredibly stupid and I think the officer should be fired for it.

dadada

Funny that it wasn't described as an assault rifle, or Military style machine gun! Could it be because there are double standards in the news?

Metalhead47

The article by KING 5 news that is on MSN did describe it as an assault rifle.:rolleyes: Incredibly stupid thing for anyone to do, LEO or not.

Ditto on Q13. Anchorchick went to great lengths to call it an assault rifle. :rolleyes::banghead:

So who wants to start the pool that the chump responsible will NOT get fired, thanx to the union?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I saw this on Q13 too. They commented several times that SPD did not know if the weapon was loaded. It seemed clear to me that a magazine was inserted in the well. Does SPD normally keep an EMPTY magazine in the weapons they use? I think not.

amlevin

It really doesn't have any bearing on the fact that the Officer was careless but closer look at the picture makes me think it isn't one of their AR-15/M-16's. SPD also has a few Accuracy International "Sniper Rifles" with AI's weird stock. They hold a magazine not unlike that of an M-14. This rifle appears to have a long scope on it, with bipod, etc.

If it is one of these rifles, the officer came real close to loosing about $6k of taxpayer's money.

hermannr

Does it really matter? Granted I highly doubt that it is an M anything and there isn't really anyway to tell without looking at the control lever or internal parts. It is still incredibly stupid and I think the officer should be fired for it.

M16 and M4 are select fire, something you, as a civilian cannot posses. LE gets them from the military.

You want to hear the sheep scream, just let them know SPD is running around with fully automatic weapons on the trunk.

Change the subject a bit...who do you think is in deeper doo doo? The lady LT that was driving around with the weapon on her trunk lid? Or the poor patrol officer who was signed for the weapon?

I know, if it was lost, the patrol officer would be in deeper, but it was not lost...

I think this is a good example of how, even "scary" weapons do not go on rampages and kill people, don't you? The weapon did nothing, shot nobody, the good citizens of Seattle did not steal it....

LibertyDeath

M16 and M4 are select fire, something you, as a civilian cannot posses. LE gets them from the military.

You want to hear the sheep scream, just let them know SPD is running around with fully automatic weapons on the trunk.

We actually can posses a select fire weapon, I just have to have a lot of cash and willingness to fight through the red tape.

The sheep already think assault rifles are fully automatic. Even though most M16's and M4's are 3 round burst.

Ruby

It was pure luck that it didn't get stolen while the car was parked. What criminal wouldn't like to get their hands on it! That concerns me more than the dumbass that left it on the trunk lid, although that concerns me as well.

wrightme

Change the subject a bit...who do you think is in deeper doo doo? The lady LT that was driving around with the weapon on her trunk lid? Or the poor patrol officer who was signed for the weapon?

I know, if it was lost, the patrol officer would be in deeper, but it was not lost...

I think this is a good example of how, even "scary" weapons do not go on rampages and kill people, don't you? The weapon did nothing, shot nobody, the good citizens of Seattle did not steal it....
LE get automatic firearms the same place the military gets them. From the manufacturers, don't they?

WE can get automatic firearms from other automatic firearms owners, as long as they were in private hands (i.e., not military or LE) prior to 1986, iirc.

As a civilian, I CAN own an M-16 that is not current manufacture.

Transferable machine guns made or registered before May-19th 1986 are worth far more than their original, pre-1986 value. And items like registered “auto-sears,” “lightning-links,” trigger-packs, trunnions, and other “combination of parts” registered as machineguns before the aforementioned date are often worth nearly as much as a full registered machine gun. For instance, as of September 2008, a transferable M16 rifle costs approximately $11,000 to $18,000, while a transferable "lightning-link" for the AR-15 can sell for $8,000 to $10,000. New manufacture M-16s sell to law enforcement and the military for around $600 to $1000.
and
Transferring requires a $200 tax for all NFA firearms except AOW's, for which the transfer tax is $5 (although the manufacturing tax remains $200).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act#Registration.2C_purchases.2C_taxes_and_transfers