• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle police leave rifle unattended on cruiser

sempercarry

The woman who drove off with it on her trunk needs to be disciplined for not going through proceadure and the man who forgot he put it there needs to be fired NOW! Inexcuseable.

Dave_pro2a

As a civilian, I CAN own an M-16 that is not current manufacture.

Not in WA, unless you're grandfathered in pre-1994. It's a state law (RCW 9.41.190), not Fed.
RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms -- Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty; or

(b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;

(ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or

(iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations.

(3) It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution brought under this section that the machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle was acquired prior to July 1, 1994, and is possessed in compliance with federal law.

(4) Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

DoomGoober

Don't worry! The officer purposely left the rifle there as part of "Project Gun Runner" and "Fast and Furious." They wanted a bad guy to pick it up and shoot someone, so they can charge them with a crime.

Metalhead47

Not in WA, unless you're grandfathered in pre-1994. It's a state law (RCW 9.41.190), not Fed.

Sure you can, right there in your quote. Youd have to be a gunsmith ffl with the proper tax stamp n such. Like someone said, lots of red tape, expense, n invasion of privacy, but quite possible and lawful.

Or you can go to wades in Bellevue n rent one at their range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky_Dog

No. Only the rental and ammo cost.
I also had personal security performed by one of their RSOs until I was done.

Dem0072

You just know there's people in the hood swearing up & down that they didn't cash in on that one...