• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time open carry in Lakewood

MTalarasB

So, I thought that I would be on edge for my first time on an OC Walk. I was actually more calm knowing it was there. I did a long walk today thought Westerra Credit Union, Walmart, Target, Dicks Sporting Goods, and Big 5 Sporting goods. I had some looks and some double looks but not a single problem, security officer, or police officer. I was impressed with hoe the public took it. I will admit that there is a chance people never thought abut it because I had my 4yr old daughter with me so I will let you all know how it goes if I go out without her. Love to hear you comments or questions.

mahkagari

Take care of that little one! We've got several parents raising kids to be safe around firearms.

Welcome! But yer gonna have to change that username. We've already got an M-T and he makes his presence ever known. You don't want to be confused with boor like that.

Vitaeus

Grats on a successful first carry. My wife and I regularly OC with one or both of our kids, hard to find a better reason to carry than making sure your kids are safer.

GTShooter

Hello!

Ive been OC in Lakewood for a couple of months already (Just moved) and so far havent had any problems either. Glad to know there are more OCers around here. I usually carry when my daughter is with me. Maybe we should take them to the park one day and OC there. Should be for a fun afternoon for the little ones.

MTalarasB

My daughter (4 years) would love that, we like to go to Sloans Lake if we can at least once a week. I can OC and she has fun. Is there anywhere you guys go that you can OC?

mahkagari

My daughter (4 years) would love that, we like to go to Sloans Lake if we can at least once a week. I can OC and she has fun. Is there anywhere you guys go that you can OC?

Where is the border over there? Isn't Sloan's in Denver?

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Yes. Sloans lake is inside the City limits of Denver. I do NOT recommend OC there.

Has there been discussion on the definition of "Downtown" as stated in the Meyers decision?

From the Meyers descision ".........it should be relatively simple for a gun owner to recall that he or she may not carry a sidearm openly in downtown Denver as is possible in rural Colorado."

And,

" I conclude that the State's interest in allowing the general open carry of firearms is insubstantial and is far outweighed by Denver's local interest in regulating firearms more strictly in an urbanized area"

"Downtown" as defined in C.R.S. 31-25-802"Downtown" means a specifically defined area of the municipality in the central business district, established by the governing body of the municipality pursuant to this part 8.

Has this ever been challenged?

By reading above, it seems that a case could be made for OC at Sloans lake, or anywhere outside of the tilted square that makes up the heart of Denver.

Or am I picking the flypoop from the pepper?

Last edited:

MTalarasB

Yes. Sloans lake is inside the City limits of Denver. I do NOT recommend OC there.

Its on the boarder of Edgewater and I have never had a problem there. Ill look into it and maybe change parks. Being on the boarder might be why I have never had a problem.

GTShooter

Correct, Ive always taken Sloans as Denver Park so I do not OC there. Okane park on the other hand is a much quiet park. agreed its smaller but it is still very nice. Exactly one mile around the whole park with a nice little pond.

Last edited: