• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA state CPL holder visiting Florida for a week

theaero

I will be coming to FL (FT Lauderdale specifically) for a week, starting the 20th. I am a WA state resident with a WA issued CPL, so it is my understanding that my CPL will be honored in Florida. As such, I plan on bringing my carry firearm.

Any tips/notes I should know about? I don't plan on carrying a ton while there, as I do not have a proper holster for what I will be wearing most of the time, but would like to have a firearm in the car and hotel when we go to drive to disney world.

I see some pretty intimidating videos about accidental exposure, which does happen with my Crossbreed Supertuck and fullsize 1911 at times. Suggestions, advice, tips?

Thanks in advance!

conandan

I will be coming to FL (FT Lauderdale specifically) for a week, starting the 20th. I am a WA state resident with a WA issued CPL, so it is my understanding that my CPL will be honored in Florida. As such, I plan on bringing my carry firearm.

Any tips/notes I should know about? I don't plan on carrying a ton while there, as I do not have a proper holster for what I will be wearing most of the time, but would like to have a firearm in the car and hotel when we go to drive to disney world.

I see some pretty intimidating videos about accidental exposure, which does happen with my Crossbreed Supertuck and fullsize 1911 at times. Suggestions, advice, tips?

Thanks in advance!

Your Washington ccl is good in Florida as long as its not a non resident licence. Caution Florida is not as nice as Washington. You can't open carry, there are a couple exceptions for hunting, fishing and target shooting.

Accidentally exposing or printing has been fixed in the law but some police will still give you a hard time for it.
You won't have any trouble with it in your vehicle. With your ccl you don't need to keep it secured.

I carry all the time in florida, not to much in south Florida but I have never had a problem. Also Florida does not have a duty to inform law so unless a cop asks you don't say anything. Just do your best to conceal and try not to print folks in south Florida might panic lol. Hope you enjoy your visit and stay safe.

theaero

Your Washington ccl is good in Florida as long as its not a non resident licence. Caution Florida is not as nice as Washington. You can't open carry, there are a couple exceptions for hunting, fishing and target shooting.

Accidentally exposing or printing has been fixed in the law but some police will still give you a hard time for it.
You won't have any trouble with it in your vehicle. With your ccl you don't need to keep it secured.

I carry all the time in florida, not to much in south Florida but I have never had a problem. Also Florida does not have a duty to inform law so unless a cop asks you don't say anything. Just do your best to conceal and try not to print folks in south Florida might panic lol. Hope you enjoy your visit and stay safe.

Thanks. Sucks about your OC laws. The duty to inform bit is good to know. Does this include firearms in your vehicle if pulled over?

77zach

Does this include firearms in your vehicle if pulled over?

Yes. You can carry a loaded handgun in the glovebox or otherwise encased without a license while in a vehicle. You can have a loaded long gun anywhere in a vehicle without a license, except concealed on your body (not sure how that would work anyway).

conandan

Thanks. Sucks about your OC laws. The duty to inform bit is good to know. Does this include firearms in your vehicle if pulled over?

I know. I am in Washington a lot and love being able to OC there. Other than a few funny looks from people I have not had any trouble. Maybe one day Florida will get OC back but I'm not holding my breath.

MasterGadgets

Thanks in advance!

If you are driving, be careful while traveling through other states getting here. Check CC laws in the states you pass through. Also the laws about having firearms in your vehicle.

If you are flying, be sure to check the laws concerning checking your weapon with the airline you will be using and TSA.

theaero

If you are driving, be careful while traveling through other states getting here. Check CC laws in the states you pass through. Also the laws about having firearms in your vehicle.

If you are flying, be sure to check the laws concerning checking your weapon with the airline you will be using and TSA.

We are flying. I've checked the internet and TSA website, and think I have everything situated appropriately.

Bullets need to be stored so they can not AD (in metal or plastic). I have them in magazines.
Firearm is unloaded, in a opaque case, and completely locked.
Checking luggage (obviously)

This is my first time flying with a firearm, so I hope it goes smoothly.

notalawyer

We are flying. I've checked the internet and TSA website, and think I have everything situated appropriately.

Bullets need to be stored so they can not AD (in metal or plastic). I have them in magazines.
Firearm is unloaded, in a opaque case, and completely locked.
Checking luggage (obviously)

This is my first time flying with a firearm, so I hope it goes smoothly.

On the loaded magazines...make sure the top rounds are covered, like in a mag pouch. Also make sure you check the airlines rules - They may be more stringent than those of the TSA.

theaero

On the loaded magazines...make sure the top rounds are covered, like in a mag pouch. Also make sure you check the airlines rules - They may be more stringent than those of the TSA.

If they are in the foam cutout of my guncase, is that sufficient?

conandan

That's not a term you hear when dealing with the TSA. Quick and easy, wow. Glad you didn't have any troubles and enjoy your stay in florida.

theaero

Thanks! FL is home away from home. All family is here, and i was born here. GF and I are on our way to Orlando. CCing on the way, but not in the park. From what I understand, Disney's security is pretty top notch. I *may* CC in the park tomorrow, as it will be cooler. A full sized 1911 IWB with high temps and humidity + walking around for 9 hours doesn't sound like a good time. I'll take my chances :p

Last edited: