• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waynesville OC

autologic

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I was having trouble finding specifics. I would like to start OCing my Glock 30SF, and I would to know the legality of hiking while OCing, as well as OC on busy streets. I walk everywhere I go, mainly around the Main Street area where all the tourists usually hang out, and I would just like to not be arrested. I am sure I will be stopped by the police and questioned a bit, as I live directly in front of the police station and will probably be spending most of my time within a mile of that area. Thank you in advance!! Also, if anyone here from the Waynesville area would like, PM me and I will give you my Facebook information. SOLIDARITY!

autologic

Also, not being able to carry in a place that serves alcohol only means restaurants correct? As long as the owner has no problem with it, I can carry into gas stations?

jtitus07

Also, not being able to carry in a place that serves alcohol only means restaurants correct? As long as the owner has no problem with it, I can carry into gas stations?

Gas stations, supermarkets etc are fine...the alcohol refers to a place where alcohol is BOTH sold AND consumed, i.e. restaurant, bar, etc

also see: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer-March-22-2012

As far as I am aware, Cary is the only place OC i banned on public streets, so you should be good to go. As always i am not a layer and speak of my own experiences yada yada yada

So i don't get scolded:

Any establishment where alcoholic
beverages are both sold and consumed
(14-269.3)

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Gas stations, supermarkets etc are fine...the alcohol refers to a place where alcohol is BOTH sold AND consumed, i.e. restaurant, bar, etc

also see: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer-March-22-2012

As far as I am aware, Cary is the only place OC i banned on public streets, so you should be good to go. As always i am not a layer and speak of my own experiences yada yada yada

So i don't get scolded:

Any establishment where alcoholic
beverages are both sold and consumed
(14-269.3)

Cary has corrected their ordinance, it always has been legal to OC on public streets in Cary. Where the OP has to be careful is hiking in state parks, OC is not allowed in them.

WTFOVER

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I was having trouble finding specifics. I would like to start OCing my Glock 30SF, and I would to know the legality of hiking while OCing, as well as OC on busy streets. I walk everywhere I go, mainly around the Main Street area where all the tourists usually hang out, and I would just like to not be arrested. I am sure I will be stopped by the police and questioned a bit, as I live directly in front of the police station and will probably be spending most of my time within a mile of that area. Thank you in advance!! Also, if anyone here from the Waynesville area would like, PM me and I will give you my Facebook information. SOLIDARITY!

You should be fine in Waynesville. Law enforcement around here usually don't even take a second look for people OC'ing.

brutus1776

You should be fine in Waynesville. Law enforcement around here usually don't even take a second look for people OC'ing.

I've open carried nearly every time I've been out if the house in Haywood co. for several years now.
Never had a problem. The only conversations I've had about my sidearm was with Florida people. Waynesville PD is fairly pro gun. Of course most LE's want you to submit to their chp process, but they'll leave you alone as long as you aren't engaged in criminal or negligent behavior.

Only wild card would be tourists on Main Street. 3 separate WPD officers have stated they would only respond to an OC'er if some called hysterically about it. Folks are laid back in the mountains

I've carried in front of countless LEO's, openly, in Haywood, JAckson, Swain, Buncombe, Madison, etc. Not even a second look.

Last edited:

chiefjason

Man, I love Waynesvegas. lol Hit up The Patio for lunch when we get up that way.

If you are hiking on national forest or national park service land you are good to go for OC. There used to be some regulations for Gamelands, which most forest service land is, that was odd for OC. But the NCWRC fixed that a few years ago. Same for the park service. Though you will still see the old signs at trailheads stating no firearms. I just ignore them.

As stated above, state parks are a no go for OC. Maybe we should start putting some pressure on them like we did the NCWRC on gamelands.