• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of Spring Assisted Pocket Knives

Adam Cook

Like all Connecticut laws dealing with self defense..... this one is unclear.
I've been in South Dakota on business since April 24th. I picked up a great little knife here (Smith & Wesson SWMP1B).
I'll be returning to liberal land in a week or so and need to know if this spring assisted opening knife is legal.

It does not meet federal requirements to be classified as a switchblade since the blade is not under constant tension by the spring. The blade needs to be manually opened about a quarter of an inch before the spring kicks in.

SWMP1B__08651.1348013815.1280.1280.jpg

Rich B

They are not legal to carry in Connecticut.

Sec. 53-206. Carrying of dangerous weapons prohibited. (a) Any person who carries upon his or her person any BB. gun, blackjack, metal or brass knuckles, or any dirk knife, or any switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, or stiletto, or any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any police baton or nightstick, or any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both. Whenever any person is found guilty of a violation of this section, any weapon or other instrument within the provisions of this section, found upon the body of such person, shall be forfeited to the municipality wherein such person was apprehended, notwithstanding any failure of the judgment of conviction to expressly impose such forfeiture.

Sec.29-38. Weapons in vehicles. (a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word "weapon", as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Adam Cook

Yeeeeeaaaa but it's not considered an automatic spring release device. That implies constant spring tension on the blade which can be released by pressing a button. This is a manual spring release device.

Rich B

Yeeeeeaaaa but it's not considered an automatic spring release device. That implies constant spring tension on the blade which can be released by pressing a button. This is a manual spring release device.

How much are you willing to bet on that in court or with a LEO?

Especially when it specifically enumerates switch blades or any automatic spring release.

brk913

Spring assisted knives are not illegal in CT and can be purchased in numerous stores right here in CT. From what I was told if the knife can be opened by pushing a button it's illegal, otherwise it's OK as long as it's under 4".

Rich B

Spring assisted knives are not illegal in CT and can be purchased in numerous stores right here in CT. From what I was told if the knife can be opened by pushing a button it's illegal, otherwise it's OK as long as it's under 4".

Whether they can be purchased and possessed is not the same as whether they can be carried. The two statutes cited talk about carry and possession in a motor vehicle.

brk913

They are legal to carry as well, they do not fall under the definition in the statute, "any switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle". By definition it is not a switch knife nor does it have an automatic spring device (read button) that causes a blade to release.

Rich B

nor does it have an automatic spring device (read button) that causes a blade to release.

Good luck with that. Every assisted opening knife I have seen and used would easily fall under that definition and I have yet to see anyone prevail in arguing that it is not.

I don't think the difference would be appreciated by law enforcement or a court.

Adam Cook

Good luck with that. Every assisted opening knife I have seen and used would easily fall under that definition and I have yet to see anyone prevail in arguing that it is not.

I don't think the difference would be appreciated by law enforcement or a court.

If we don't push these issues, where the law is as clear as mud the, grabbers win.

I'm definitely willing to jump in front of the bus on this one.
I'll let you guys know the extent of my injuries when all is said and done.

Adam Cook

Well, you don't have to tell me/us to 'push' the issues, but there are fights that are strategically worth having and there are ones that are not.

What is your proposal?

Don't really have a proposal, but here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to fly home on Thursday and sleep for 3 days as I've been working 13-17 hour days without a day off since mid April.

When I do get up and go out, I'm going to holster my P229 and pocket my sweet new knife.
I've had plenty of experience trying to educate LEOs in the past and don't expect to get anywhere talking.
If it comes down to it, I'll argue that the statute is vague and that since CT doesn't define their use of the word "automatic" I'm going by the federal definition which does not cover my specific knife model.

davidmcbeth

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngidH_dF6k video showing knife

Sec. 53-206. Carrying of dangerous weapons prohibited. (a) Any person who carries upon his or her person any BB. gun, blackjack, metal or brass knuckles, or any dirk knife, or any switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle,

and the old 29-38

Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles. Penalty. Exceptions. (a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word “weapon”, as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or more in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.

Smith & Wesson site: http://search.smith-wesson.com/sear...uct-atr2.product-atr3&start=0&num=48&filter=p

Has link to product sheet (sorry could not link the pdf directly - its first one) "assisted opening system" is how they describe it.

I agree with Rich ... watch the video and decide folks

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't really have a proposal, but here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to fly home on Thursday and sleep for 3 days as I've been working 13-17 hour days without a day off since mid April.

When I do get up and go out, I'm going to holster my P229 and pocket my sweet new knife.
I've had plenty of experience trying to educate LEOs in the past and don't expect to get anywhere talking.
If it comes down to it, I'll argue that the statute is vague and that since CT doesn't define their use of the word "automatic" I'm going by the federal definition which does not cover my specific knife model.

You can argue .. it will cost you at least $500 to make the argument. Automatic spring = a spring that does not have to be used manually.

customcreationllc

I've always been under the impression that spring assisted knives are legal.
All my Google searching said they were, there are a couple knife specifics sites.
They have been sold in CT for over 10 years.
But then again I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't think twice about carrying it.
If my memory serves me right RI only allows 3" blades and MA is 3.5", that's why my blade is 2.9" but I've talked to RI cops before and surprise they didn't know the law they go by the width of your hand.

And another spot don't carry on NY subways, surprise knives are illegal.
I found out the hard way. Not to hard I was on my way home to CT undercover cops stopped us made us put them in out bag.

I've had a few assisted knives just about everyone I know has or still has one. I don't like them as I had a couple open in my pocket. Some have a safety but that defeats the purpose.

I moved to a higher quality knife Benchmade 10 years in my pocket and still tight and smooth enough to flick out, most people think it is assisted.
I like the upside down design the hinge is deeper in the pocket.

If you can flick your wrist right you can get just about any knife to flick out. Without a spring

That has always been one of my arguments the only legal way to defend yourself is with a gun they made every other self defense tool illegal.