• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MAIG comes to Byrd Park - Thursday, August 22nd

Repeater

Father Of Newtown Victim, Gun Owner, And Local Advocates To Gather In Richmond To Urge Lawmakers To Support Common-Sense Background Checks
By Mayors Against Illegal Guns
Published: Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013 - 8:36 am

RICHMOND, Va., Aug. 21, 2013 -- Participants Will Call On Members of Congress to Co-Sponsor Bipartisan House Bill To Keep Guns Out of the Wrong Hands; 90 Percent of Americans Support Background Checks

Rally is Part of "No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence" Bus Tour; www.NoMoreNames.org

***MEDIA AND EVENT ADVISORY***

RICHMOND, Va., Aug. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On Thursday, August 22nd, the father of a victim of a Newtown massacre, a gun owner and NRA member, a domestic violence prevention activist, and local advocates will gather in Richmond as part of the "No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence" – a 25-state national bus tour over a period of 100 days aimed at urging America's leaders to support common-sense gun policies.

Participants will come together Thursday to voice their support for comprehensive background checks, and they will urge lawmakers to support bipartisan legislation in the U.S. House that would extend background checks to cover private gun sales in commercial settings. This past March, polling found that Virginians support common sense background checks that would help keep guns out of the hands of felons, domestic abusers, the seriously mentally ill, and other dangerous individuals, including: 85 percent of Congressman Rigell's constituents in Virginia's 2nd Congressional District; 89 percent of Congressman Goodlatte's constituents in Virginia's 6th Congressional District; and 88 percent of Congressman Frank Wolf's constituents in Virginia's 10th Congressional District. Nationwide, more than 90 percent of Americans support this life-saving measure as well.

The event is being organized by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a bipartisan coalition of more than 1,000 mayors and 1.5 million grassroots supporters nationwide – including more than 58,000 in Virginia. Every day, 33 Americans are murdered with guns in this country. "No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence" is part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' ongoing, national effort to continue raising awareness to the issue of gun violence in America – and most importantly, to urge elected officials to prioritize the safety of the people they represent.

What: Rally to support common-sense background checks and urge lawmakers to support this life-saving public safety measure

Who:
- Neil Heslin, whose 6-year-old son Jesse was murdered in Newtown
- Susan B. Rekowski, Virginia resident, NRA member, and gun owner
- Local Advocates

Where: Shields Lake Pavilion Byrd Park 600 S. Boulevard Richmond, VA

When: Thursday, August 22nd at 2:00 p.m.

About Mayors Against Illegal Guns

Since its creation in April 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has grown from 15 members to more than 1,000 mayors from across the country. We have more than 1.5 million grassroots supporters – including more than 58,000 in Virginia – making us the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country. The bipartisan coalition, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, has united the nation's mayors around these common goals: protecting communities by holding gun offenders accountable; demanding access to crime gun trace data that is critical to law enforcement efforts to combat gun trafficking; and working with legislators to fix weaknesses and loopholes in the law that make it far too easy for criminals and other dangerous people to get guns. Learn more at www.MayorsAgainstIllegalGuns.org.

CONTACTS
Alex Katz: akatz@maig.org or 646-324-8245
Stacey Radnor: radnor@homefrontdc.com or 202-870-6668

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Didn't see the precise location mentioned in the OP

It is being held at Swan Lake in Byrd Park at 2:00 PM.

Recommend not eating a heavy lunch if you plan on being there - potential for stomach distress is great when listening to them.

Hope to have my schedule cleared and claim a spot under a shade tree - should be the best entertainment in Virginia this week.......fictional category.

Edit: Ooops see the time is 2:00 PM, but there is conflicting information as to the location. First announcement said at the Carillon, then a later one said Swan Lake, now this one says Shield Lake. In as much as there is a picnic shelter at Shield Lake that seems more logical.

Suggest getting there early enough that these miscues do not cause the problems I think they are intended to create.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Shield's Lake is here: https://foursquare.com/v/byrd-park--shields-lake/ It's on the other side of the road from swan Lake. Another map at https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&so...77.382975&sspn=0.021017,0.020728&ie=UTF8&z=16

Depending on where they will be setting up it may be a bit of a hike from street parking. IIRC there is a paved path from the street to the west end of the lake. If they pick some other part of the lake you will need to hike across trhe grass.

Sciatica be darned - I'll swallow pain pills and be there unless something serious gets in the way. Look for me sitting in the ATV (powerchair). I've got some GSL stickers.

stay safe.

thedevilrobyjohn

attendee

missed half a day at mcv yesterday, miss half a day tomm for baltimore but im gonna try to grab the family and show up....mean old guntoter with a stroller and kids not to mention two mothers....yep, it matters to me. id like to at least make an appearance and the girls will take however many minutes they can get near animals and a park.......

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had a boring time listening to the monotonous drone from a dozen or so reps of MAIG. Channel 6 & 12 were there, did a few interviews and shot some new file footage and then just sort of hung out.

Five (5) RPD cars waited in an adjoining parking lot - presumably they were bored also.

Other than the gaggle of MAIG people and half a dozen VCDL observers, there was nobody there, nada, no group of interested Virginians - just a great big empty space, a void. Would seem that MAIG is not as interesting as watching the ducks and geese paddling about the lakes.

MAIG really needs to liven up their presentation - the stand up routine with bad copy isn't making it, not winning any converts. Think that speaks well for where Richmonders stand on the issues - they really just want Bloomie to stay in NYC and let Virginians run Virginia. We seem to be doing a decidedly better job then they are too.

Repeater

Is 'Bored' a dangerous thing?

Had a boring time listening to the monotonous drone from a dozen or so reps of MAIG. Channel 6 & 12 were there, did a few interviews and shot some new file footage and then just sort of hung out.

Five (5) RPD cars waited in an adjoining parking lot - presumably they were bored also.

Other than the gaggle of MAIG people and half a dozen VCDL observers, there was nobody there, nada, no group of interested Virginians - just a great big empty space, a void. Would seem that MAIG is not as interesting as watching the ducks and geese paddling about the lakes.

MAIG really needs to liven up their presentation - the stand up routine with bad copy isn't making it, not winning any converts. Think that speaks well for where Richmonders stand on the issues - they really just want Bloomie to stay in NYC and let Virginians run Virginia. We seem to be doing a decidedly better job then they are too.

Glad you went; however, given the news of late, I'm not sure it's safe to be 'bored' ... :(

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
They came, they mispronounced the names of dead people and the names of the cities where they got dead, and a Sandy Hook parent spit out bullet points but seemed not to have any real notion about how background checks work or why universal background checks would not have prevented almost every sudden mass murder in the 20th and 21st centuries. I turely feel sad for him both because of his loss and because he seems to be manipulated and does not even know it.

There were roughly 10 youth/young adult interns who are probably making less than minimum wage, but get to travel a lot and hold up small signs; five or six religious leaders of the variety that wear full collars (as opposed to Roman collars) and who were not obvious Baptists; and maybe three "real" folks - one of whom came with his own sign reading "An eye for an eye does not make it right" or something like that. I ought to feel ashamed of myself for what I did when he first got there - but I don't.

Pictures have been forwarded to Phil Van Cleve. As they are copyrighted I will wait a while before deciding to post links to them or not. (Also, they are not that dramatic.)

I'm trying to learn how to chop a 156.6 megabyte MP3 file into segments less than 25 megabytes each so I can send them to PVC.

Check channel 12 and channel 6 news some time between 5 PM (OMG, it's already after 5) and 6 tonight. Somebody let me know if you saw/heard me or grapeshot so I can go looking for the on-line file.

Check the Richmond Times-Dispatch tomorrow to see if I get quoted.

stay safe.

thedevilrobyjohn

hot and boring

it was hot and boring, no one there, it was literally dead. the gold fish in the pond were more entertaining. I also felt bad for the newtown father, he spoke to me and was a nice guy. didnt stick around long as my plan was really just an appearance and a day in the park.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.nbc12.com/story/23232731/father-of-newtown-shooting-victim-speaks-in-richmond

At the rally, a few pro-gun advocates showed up to have their voice be heard. Paul Henick, a local gun owner, told NBC12 that background checks won't help future victims and would not have stopped Adam Lanza from opening fire on Sandy Hook.

"He murdered his mother, stole her guns and then went to the school," said Henick. "How would a background check stop him?"

Almost an absolutely accurate quote - I'm impressed it came out as good as it did.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
saw you on fox 35 news last night. funny because I didnt even see them there, saw 12 and 6. I think youll not be getting your Christmas card from Bloomberg this year.

I really wish he would try to send me one. I've taken some of the MAIG mailing stuff down to the local Postal Inspector and filled out the forms to have the organization notified that I do not desire to receive sexually explicit material of a puriuent nature. The penalty for the first offense after being placed on notice is a $10K fine; second and sunsequent offenses are $25K to 250K fines and increasing lengths of prison sentences. (The law does not say what sexually explicit material of a purient nature is - it is up to the individual to admit what gets their boat floating. Bloomberg/MAIG and Val-Pak envelopes do it for me.:D)

stay safe.