• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry article today...

trailblazer2003

Did anyone see the Open Carry article, front page in the Wisconsin State Journal today? I only caught a quick glimpse of it earlier and can't find anything on their website about it. How long does it take for printed articles to cycle to online viewing?

Tomas

trailblazer2003

hmmm... I don't think it is, but it I only saw it for a second or two, so maybe? I'll have to check the library tomorrow and see if it's available. Or check online again for an update. It's gonna bug me all night for sure now.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I think the State Journal offers headline stories in the print paper first for their payed subscribers. The article should be online in a day or two. I will be watching for it online...

ETA: That link is definitely a new article. I'm not sure if it's the one to which Trailblazer refers.

Last edited:
X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

snip

"Adam Schesch has owned firearms for 30 years and once fought a proposed handgun ban in Madison. But he doesn’t support gun owners who carry their weapons at restaurants and public places. “There is no reason for a person to come with a pistol strapped to his hip at a family restaurant,” he said."

I hate when opinion based statements are put into articles, for some reason it seems like it always points towards the beliefs of the paper running the article. I find there to be ALOT of reasons to carry in such places.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
What is online is a portion of the middle of the article. For some reason the WSJ didn't put the entire article online but only a teaser so you have to buy the paper to read it all. I was interviewed for the article. I bought the paper and will try to scan it to a pdf file.

There's a bit about the recent history of the open carry movement in WI over the past couple of years, some recap on the Culver's incident and repercussions. I addressed the attempts by bigoted anti-gun people to stereotype pro-gun people as nothing but red-necks or right-wing nut jobs. I said that the people who were active in the gun rights arena are reflective of a broad range of beliefs and political persuasions, using myself as an example of someone who does not fit the stereotype that the anti-gunners try to use. They also quoted me when I told them that I believed most anti-gun people would not object to someone with a gun being around if they were having their head beaten in at the moment. Also I told them that the vast majority of open carry incidents do not result in any problem and that police contacts with open carriers can be cordial and usually are nothing like what happened at Culvers.

Jason in WI

From the article in the link....
Proponents say it’s more important than ever for gun-owners to openly carry their firearms. Opponents say that’s a reckless practice — especially in the presence of children.

:banghead::cuss:

Don't they know I carry FOR the children. I think it's horrible to leave a firearm where a child could find it, I prefer to carry it with me so I know where it is at all times. The anti's keep telling me about these guns that target innocent children. I'll continue to carry mine so hopefully when I see one of these evil child seeking guns that can't be trusted within 1000' of a school I'll be able to defend any children near me.

anmut

From the article in the link....

:banghead::cuss:

Don't they know I carry FOR the children. I think it's horrible to leave a firearm where a child could find it, I prefer to carry it with me so I know where it is at all times. The anti's keep telling me about these guns that target innocent children. I'll continue to carry mine so hopefully when I see one of these evil child seeking guns that can't be trusted within 1000' of a school I'll be able to defend any children near me.

If you're a Lib, the CHILDREN are the default answer to any social issue if they are boxed in by logic and facts.

I agree with you, not only is OC in support of firearm safety but if someone's "CHILDREN" were in danger and you were the only one able to provide safety I think their minds would change. Or maybe not. :)

RR_Broccoli

snip

I hate when opinion based statements are put into articles, for some reason it seems like it always points towards the beliefs of the paper running the article. I find there to be ALOT of reasons to carry in such places.

No kidding. "Family" seems to be some sort of key word for "bland, dumbed down, bit still strong willed totalitarianism" of some kind....

A "Family Restaurant" implies to me you go there with your loved ones. Which is THAT MUCH MORE REASON to be able to defend them.

If I am in some place alone, I can always run through the kitchen and out the back door. My family with wife, and two young enough to be too heavy to scoop up and flee with effectively kids can't move as fast. Hell, it takes 5 minutes just to get out of a car some times... So now I gotta turn and face whatever it is with nothing more than a belly full of fries and harsh language.

They want "Family Place" to mean, "Come Slaughter us"

J.Gleason

Banned
I guess the never heard of the Luby's Cafe Massacre!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

I wish these people even had a slight education in what they are talking about before they go making statements like, "there is no need to carry a firearm in public places or Family Restaurants."

I would like to see any of these people convince Susanna Gracia Hupp that there is no need to carry firearm in a restaurant. Maybe it is time that OCDO and WCI call upon her to tell her story to the people of Wisconsin. I am sure she would be interested in helping our cause.

Last edited:

Passive101

I know that she does appearances and tells her story. This is not a bad idea at all!

I wonder if we would have to put money together or if she would be willing to simply want to help us as she has in other places?

J.Gleason

Banned
I think it would have to be in a forum bigger than Wisconsin Public Television though. Something that is seen state wide or at least is viewed by the majority of the state.

This way the story will be heard by many and then maybe just maybe people will see the need for firearms in Restaurants and public places.

Maybe have some advertising for the event before had to get the word out. Have a forum with Wagner, Bader and other talk show hosts that will run it on air during their air time.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

How do we differentiate between bald opinion, "I hate it when ...", and facts, please?

im not sure I follow what your asking, it WAS an opinion stated in the article. I did not reply to the article with my own opinion. Yes I do hate it when opinions are used, they are opinion and have no factual basis. I don't really care if the opinion is in my favor or not, it's just an opinion. The fact is the article ran someone's opinion....

Last edited: