• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lunar Eclipse Photos...

Dreamer

Just thought this would be interesting, to see if anyone else tried to take photos of the eclipse. Unfortunately, the longest lens I have is a 15-80 zoom, so My pics didn't come out very well. I REALLY need to get a Dobsonian telescope and an adapter mount for my DSLR...

Attachments

• eclipse-01.jpg
    eclipse-01.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ahh...! A Dobsonian Afficionado!

Just thought this would be interesting, to see if anyone else tried to take photos of the eclipse. Unfortunately, the longest lens I have is a 15-80 zoom, so My pics didn't come out very well. I REALLY need to get a Dobsonian telescope and an adapter mount for my DSLR...

Lol, Dreaber, jus how bany stos of tkilla hb you bd dkna?

Seriously, I stayed up (then again, I'm often up late).

Dude! You know what a Dobsonian is! Love to introduce you to the CSAS, although I've only tinkered with joining myself, and you're not in Colorado, so...

I spent months helping a teacher grind a lens for his scope back in 1977-'78. Just an 8", but lovingly hand-ground, and laser-polished to exacting standards by a friend he had in the industry. Another friend (I didn't know it at the time, but this guy was very well connected) measured his primary and ground customer objectives.

His was also a Dobsonian, and after hours of looking, we saw more things floating around Jupiter than were supposed to be out there. Now we know there were more things out there than we could see.

Dreamer

Lol, Dreaber, jus how bany stos of tkilla hb you bd dkna?

Not a drink in weeks...

Just a VERY long day, and very cold fingers, from running ou tinto the parking lot every 30 minutes for 3 hours, snapping pics...

My dream scope is a 12" Dobsonian, with a computerized base, so it will track objects automatically. A Mead Lightbridge would be nice, but they are uber-spendy. If I ever get one, it will probably be an Orion. They are reasonably-priced--even the big ones--and their motorized base is easily controlled by a laptop with pretty sophisticated software.

M

mattwestm

I wish I could have seen it through the awesome Meade telescope on top of Howell Science Complex.