• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2067 Eliminating reimbursement for defense costs

jt59

It ain't over 'till it's over....

Representative Orcutt in his response to me, outlined that, amendment language could be added on the floor, in session, to any bill with an appropriate title.

What follows is terrifying to me, if it is how our gov't functionally works on spending (and savings measures) and achieving political agendas through these kind of pranks.

I wrote to Rep. Orcutt

Dear Representative Orcutt,

Please help me understand the intent of these bills introduced late in session by the chair of the Ways and Means committee....

HB 2058 through 2081 almost all in numerical sequence and all written with an "intent" to adopt legislation pertaining to...what ever the titled issue is, with virtually nothing else in the language of the bill to give it scope.

This appears to me to be a statement of legislative intent with a blank check and raises my concern of being a political tactic to put in place broad legislative stones to allow amendment language to be added at some later date and time (midnight on the last day of the legislative session)....

....and concerning in particular, in how you described amending language that could be added on the floor with out the transparency of public disclosure.

My immediate concern remains HB 2067, however, in leiu of more understanding, this appears to me to be a carte'blanch effort by Rep. Hunter for a much broader scope...

If you have a moment to clarify for me? This adds for me a new definition of "ways and means"...as a verb instead of an adjective of this committee.

thanks

Representative Hunter, in addition to the bill (hb 2067) that he introduced on
April 9th, so late in session, also introduced HB 2058 through 2081 (13 bills) that are simply titled "Relating to (the topic), such as "General Government Expenditures" with absolutely NO Scope. It is my belief that he will try to use these "titled" bills as an omnibus to achieve whatever legislative agenda he or the party desires. Including, potentially the effort of HB 2067

http://www.leg.wa.gov/House/Representatives/Pages/BillSponsorship.aspx?m=hunter

I would suggest that we contact our appropriate legislators and make them aware of our concerns and request that they have prepared to offer, "stripping amendments" if there is an effort to add the language of HB 2067 late in the game.

While we cheered when the national body added gun legislative language to the national parks as an amendment to the Credit Card act that the President virtually had to accept, we don't like to have the same game played on us without our permission.

Be vigilant!

Last edited:

jt59

I'm not the only one worried

This is the follow on response from Ed Orcutt to my question.

Orcutt, Rep. Ed Add to contactsTo jt59

Sent: Thu 4/14/11 11:25 PM

To: jt59

These bills concern me as well. It is an oft used method to keep options open to balance (implement) the budget, but I think more thought and detail should go into them prior to being introduced.

But every bill is subject to amendment in committee and on the floor of each chamber so changes can be made to any bill after introduction as long as it fits under the scope of the title.

Some of these bills have broader titles to enable greater latitude in what can be amended onto the bills. Broad titles can pose risk for whoever introduces them as once it is introduced, a member is at the mercy of the legislative majority.

Good, bad, or indifferent, that is the way it works. Ed

therealcombat

Is anyone else impressed by Ed's straightforward replies and the speed in which he gets them out?

The last email i sent took him less than a half hour to get a reply out. :banana::banana::banana:

NavyMike

Is anyone else impressed by Ed's straightforward replies and the speed in which he gets them out?

The last email i sent took him less than a half hour to get a reply out. :banana::banana::banana:

That is impressive. I emailed Hunter, on Tuesday, and politely asked for the thinking behind his Bill. No reply yet - and I live in his district. Maybe he is too busy eating crow!

Luke

Article 1, Section 33 Washington State Constitution:

SECTION 33 RECALL OF ELECTIVE OFFICERS. Every elective public officer of the state of Washington expect [except] judges of courts of record is subject to recall and discharge by the legal voters of the state, or of the political subdivision of the state, from which he was elected whenever a petition demanding his recall, reciting that such officer has committed some act or acts of malfeasance or misfeasance while in office, or who has violated his oath of office, stating the matters complained of, signed by the percentages of the qualified electors thereof, hereinafter provided, the percentage required to be computed from the total number of votes cast for all candidates for his said office to which he was elected at the preceding election, is filed with the officer with whom a petition for nomination, or certificate for nomination, to such office must be filed under the laws of this state, and the same officer shall call a special election as provided by the general election laws of this state, and the result determined as therein provided. [AMENDMENT 8, 1911 p 504 Section 1. Approved November, 1912.]

jt59

That is impressive. I emailed Hunter, on Tuesday, and politely asked for the thinking behind his Bill. No reply yet - and I live in his district. Maybe he is too busy eating crow!

I am not sure what they serve at the public trough....I thought it was more like BBQ or ribs or....no, that's it,.......:D PORK.

hermannr

There is an old saying that fits this that some may need to ponder. It goes something like:

"No mans life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session."

amlevin

I am not sure what they serve at the public trough....I thought it was more like BBQ or ribs or....no, that's it,.......:D PORK.

Feeding time in Olympia (Washington, DC too)

SuperStock_255-30816.jpg