• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb59??

fozzy71

copied from my email

Friends of Freedom,

I have been hearing from many of you recently: Phil, what's going on with SB 59? Sadly, the answer is: not much. Several weeks ago, in late March, there was word that the Senate Leadership (Randy Richardville) had promised to hold a vote on the Senate floor in Late March/Early April. It's important to note, one man (and one man alone) has the power to make a full Senate vote on SB 59 happen, that's Mr. Richardville. He also has the power to make sure SB 59 is never heard. If what's happened (or rather hasn't happened -- namely the promised vote) in the past month is any indicator, it appears that's his current plan: that SB 59 will die. I know this disappoints many of you. I can't tell you all how much it frustrates me to relay this news. I have put off passing the news on for far too long now, I was simply hoping it wasn't true. But now, I simply have to speak out.

What do we in Michigan Open Carry, Inc. do best? In the past, we've done well at activism and media circuses. That's exactly what we have in mind for the Monroe area (Mr. Richardville's home town) in the coming weeks, if immediate action isn't taken by Mr. Richardville. Please stay tuned for more details.

As for now, if you're itching for something to do, here's Mr. Richardville's phone number: (517) 373-3543. I'm sure you'll think of something to say if you're so inclined...
Phillip Hofmeister
President
Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
PHofmeister@miopencarry.org

Last edited:

WilDChilD

Does anyone know what is going on with SB59? I am just curious if they are still working on it. Thank you all in advance!!!

you should sign up for Phil's email list. He doesnt send many only important stuff like what you just read above. Dont have a link but if you ask him Iam sure he will give it to you.

stainless1911

Banned
D.O.A. Forget it. We need to get the monarchy out of Lansing. Seems like there is one person making the decisions up there.

They arent going to touch PFZs especially when they hear the word school. Go after something like amending 231a and 227 so that you can OC in a car without a CPL, and we will have a better chance of getting something passes for gun rights this term.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Correct

Go after it from a private property standpoint, not an open carry standpoint then. Your car should be an extension of your home.

A member here brought up an outstanding point once. He said, that they need a warrant to search your home because i'ts private property, yet you can CC there. They need a warrant to search your car for the same reason, private property. Yet you cannot carry a gun in a car without a CPL.

If the word concealed were added or removed in 227 and 231a, then that private property right would be restored.

Let's leave OC entirely out of the argument.

I have to go to community service now, but tonight, I will draft the changes needed to those laws, then in eary June when Mrs. Kowall comes to the local coney island for her public meet, I will make the presentation to her.

Yance

Thanks. besides going state by state on handgunlaw, how would one find out how many states already have the private property rights extended to ones personal vehicle?

Hey, got a list of those states for you if you still need it. and I counted 26 states currently allow you to possess or carry in some fashion in your vehicle.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
travelmap.png

Super Trucker

Every time something bad happens in a PFZ be sure to send Richardville and the other non 2A friendly legislators a note thanking them for allowing more crime to happen because they were to spineless to change a law.

Super Trucker

I'm in monroe, I email him frequently and last time he replied to me he promised some positive 2A bills in 2012. Let me know if I can help

Have you tried recently? I have left a voice mail for his helper and sent 3 e-mail to him in the last month and have not received a response to any.

Last edited:

detroit_fan

There is an activist plan that will be revealed soon.

Good, I look forward to it

Have you tried recently? I have left a voice mail for his helper and sent 3 e-mail to him in the last month and have not received a response to any.

I just looked through my mail to see the last email he sent me. It was on 3-6-12, wrote him to ask for some positive 2A before the Nov elections since the dems will probably make big gains. Here is his reply to me -

"I have always supported the right to bear arms and as an adamant Second Amendment supporter, I’ve long championed efforts to uphold (and restore) gun owners’ rights. I am still working with my colleagues on changing the laws in regards to concealed weapons. We are making this issue a priority for 2012. It is a very important issue for myself and many others in my caucus. I appreciate your continued interest in this matter."

Best,
Senator Richardville

Now I know for a fact that he really has tried in the past to move some pro2A legislation, including attempting to get a campus carry bill passed a couple years ago for classroom and dorm carry, that's why I'm so surprised to hear this.

I did call his office and speak to his secretary a few weeks ago to express my support for an unmodified SB59, but I did not speak to him that day.

Last edited: