• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Open Letter To The Second Amendment Foundation

ManInBlack

I for one would love to see the state gun registry go away. I'd swap that for locally executed background checks with no records retained and plenty of exemptions. If we can trade one really bad law in for one way less bad law AND fend off the gun grabbers at the same time, I like it. It's playing their "You're not willing to compromise" game against them - showing them what real compromise really is. It's no net loss of freedom.

Canadian gun owners fought and got rid of a nationwide, mandatory registry of all long guns, and you think getting rid of a state registry which only covers some handguns, and can easily be circumvented, in exchange for mandatory government control over all legal purchases, is somehow a win?

I must be in the twilight zone, or you must be getting your pillow talk from Piers.

Flopsweat

Canadian gun owners fought and got rid of a nationwide, mandatory registry of all long guns, and you think getting rid of a state registry which only covers some handguns, and can easily be circumvented, in exchange for mandatory government control over all legal purchases, is somehow a win?

I must be in the twilight zone, or you must be getting your pillow talk from Piers.

I expected some insults. Not surprised.

Z1P2

The bill would create a defacto ban on private sales by requiring something that private sellers have no way to obtain (the background check system is NOT open to the public and there is no provision in this bill to open it up to the public). That is not "taking 2 and giving 1" that's "taking 0 and giving 100%".

FrayedString

It's a well written article that outlines that the proposal by the SAF would certainly make the bill easier to stomach, but I'd still have one bad case of heartburn.

To me the very idea of a background check violates the concept of "innocent until proven guilty." Every time you buy a gun from an FFL, or at a WAC show, you were presumed to have possibly been guilty and were forced to prove your innocence before you could proceed! What a crock!

sudden valley gunner

I for one would love to see the state gun registry go away. I'd swap that for locally executed background checks with no records retained and plenty of exemptions. If we can trade one really bad law in for one way less bad law AND fend off the gun grabbers at the same time, I like it. It's playing their "You're not willing to compromise" game against them - showing them what real compromise really is. It's no net loss of freedom.

I see because it is something you can live with and tolerate that makes it OK.

There is no such thing as compromise when it comes to liberty it is always loose.

So now instead of a registry of specific items they still have a registry of who bought and sold. You think the government cares more about what weapon you own or whether or not you own any.

I know several people who refuse to have the government have a track of anything they have bought, and if you OC and don't get a CPL...........tough cookies?

thewise1

Bottom line: Criminals aren't going to do a background check when they buy. WHY should any free law abiding man do so?

I wrote to Mike Hope about this and got this in return:

Mike Hope said:
Hi –
Thank you for contacting me regarding House Bill 1588. Many of you have highlighted important issues with the bill and because of our work the current version of the bill is nothing like the original. HB 1588 is still a work in progress; I am talking with Allen Gottlieb of the 2nd Amendment Foundation of Washington and together we are working to make sure your rights are protected. Some groups that are in favor of this new language includes: Second Amendment Foundation, Ceasefire, Police Chiefs and Sheriffs Organization, Nurses Union, Hospital Association, Washington Education Association and domestic violence advocates.

I have attached a link to my video explaining why I support this bill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2kNs6C-qq8&feature=youtu.be#

Also, I have attached a graph showing the results of a poll in which 600 people in Washington were asked their opinion on a law requiring everyone who buys a gun to undergo a background check.

Thanks again for your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,

Mike Hope
State Representative
44th Legislative District

It's extremely disappointing and I must say that Mike Hope - who has previously had my vote every time - will not receive it this next time unless he changes his position real quick.

He should know better that if Ceasefire is for it, he should be against it. They will take a reduced win here and just go after the rest next time. We gain nothing, and lose, every single time, because all we want is to be left alone. They want to take ALL guns, not just "enact common sense legislation".

Last edited:

thewise1

My overly long and overly passionate letter back to him:

Representative Hope,

Thank you for your response. I have watched your video, I have read the bill, and my opinion has not changed. The fact that WA Ceasefire supports this is enough reason to oppose it, but all of that aside, you appear to misunderstand your job. Your job is not to keep me safe. Your job is not to pass laws that require that I go to a police department and get government approval to engage in a voluntary transaction. Your job is not to make it so that law abiding citizens go get background checks that are "just that easy" when criminals laugh at you while ignoring your laws and doing business as they please. You think your way is easy? Their way is way easier. But once again, law abiding citizens who honor the rule of law are the ones that have their freedoms chipped away.

The idea that 'mentally ill' people should be prevented is scary. The definition of mentally ill is extremely subjective, and with a group of people who will stop at nothing to remove this right - and don't tell me groups like WA Ceasefire or Senators like Diane Feinstein aren't out to take ALL the guns, they are openly on record stating such - it is not hard in any way, shape, or form to imagine a future in which anyone who flies a Gadsden flag or participates in Tea Party rallies or 2A rallies or anything else objectionable to the left is labeled mentally ill. Or vice versa, once the right is in power again. After all, how many people say things like "liberalism is a mental disorder"? How many kids are ADHD? Will that eventually be included in the list of mental illnesses that prevent them from being free men and women? Who decides what is mentally ill? Anti-gun groups such as the American Academy of Pediatrics or the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (links to their stance on firearms - remove them all from the home)? When the doctors decide to call in parents to CPS because they have firearms in the home and the "medical experts" testify in court that the guns make the home "unsafe" for children, and families are ripped apart, it won't be so "common sense" then, will it? Don't tell me that won't happen - I have already been through a family law court battle where the "mental health care experts" testified that it's not good for children to spank them and ended up losing time with my daughter even though I'm the guy honoring the rule of law.

As for universal background checks? The bill says that many firearms are currently sold without a background check, allowing felons and other ineligible persons to gain access to them. Those people are already legally prevented from possessing a firearm. They currently buy them without a background check and they will continue to do so after your law making it double super illegal for them to have guns is put in place. The shooter in Connecticut violated 41 laws in the process of murdering those children. They are just as dead as if it had been a violation of one law.

I have done private transactions with firearms many times. Most people who do so ask to see a CPL. You cannot "fix" gun violence. They have tried that for a long time in Washington D.C. and Chicago and it only gets worse the more government control they create. The government doesn't need to try (and fail) to fix everything. Please stop passing reactionary laws on top of reactionary laws on top of reactionary laws.

You were right in your video that this is a politically risky thing to do. Remember that WA Ceasefire members wouldn't have voted for you anyway, and now you are causing harm to YOUR base as well. I and many others won't forget on Election Day. I urge you to reconsider before it's too late.

You, myself, and most everyone else I know are free men. We should not need to go to the police department and ask permission to use our rights - that makes them privileges, not rights. You, sir, should be ashamed that you are a part of making that happen.

Respectfully,
Andrew Brown

sudden valley gunner

Government is against back ground checks!

Well apparently back ground checks are discriminatory.

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/10-1-09b.cfm

Here's the FUQ...

Since at least 2001, the EEOC said, Freeman has rejected job applicants based on their credit history and if they have had one or more of various types of criminal charges or convictions. This practice has an unlawful discriminatory impact because of race, national origin, and sex, and is neither job-related nor justified by business necessity, the EEOC charged in its lawsuit.