• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just an idea

Trigger Dr

Before the flames start, I know about the existing "prepaid legal".
I am fairly certain that there are more than 2 attorney members on OCDO. At least 1 could not engage in this due to his professional position.
Drew, could you look into the formation of a group, pre pay, that would specialize in firearms law? If enough attorneys were to form this I am certain that there would be a a sttrong following of memberships.
I would hope for the Washigton group, this could be a good start.
Good Idea? Bad idea?

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I am fairly certain that there are more than 2 attorney members on OCDO. At least 1 could not engage in this due to his professional position.
Drew, could you look into the formation of a group, pre pay, that would specialize in firearms law? If enough attorneys were to form this I am certain that there would be a a sttrong following of memberships.
Good Idea? Bad idea?

Good idea.

Jeff Hayes

Good Idea IMHO

Good idea.

There were 2 lawyers, a husband & wife team, at a gun show last year in Spokane that were trying to set something like this up. It did not look like they were getting many bites I gave them my card and asked them to call me when they got going because I was interested. So far no call. The husband was very knowledgable about OC he asked me a lot of questions about my experiance OCing and seemed dissapointed when I told him I had had no problems.

amlevin

I's not a bad idea but I don't think it is totally practical. From what I've been able to find out about "Pre-Paid Legal" services so far (yup, I had a similar idea), is that they specialize in two areas. One is in "pyramid schemes" and the other, the legit ones, do mostly work that is quick and somewhat routine. To defend one in a Self Defense case could involve lots of variables and in order to cover them the rates would be quite high for all.

I would rather see a "vetted" Network of Attorneys that practice in the area of 2A and related Criminal Defense. A network that provides a 24/7 referral service with an easy to remember Toll Free number. If it require's a small annual fee, sort of a retainer, so be it. I'd rather this than a Pre-Paid service that might have to operate like an Insurance Company, thus cutting costs wherever they could. Those cost cutting measures might come at your expense should you need an expert witness, lab analysis, outside investigator, etc.

Just my thoughts, perhaps not even worth $0.02.

Trigger Dr

I's not a bad idea but I don't think it is totally practical. From what I've been able to find out about "Pre-Paid Legal" services so far (yup, I had a similar idea), is that they specialize in two areas. One is in "pyramid schemes" and the other, the legit ones, do mostly work that is quick and somewhat routine. To defend one in a Self Defense case could involve lots of variables and in order to cover them the rates would be quite high for all.

I would rather see a "vetted" Network of Attorneys that practice in the area of 2A and related Criminal Defense. A network that provides a 24/7 referral service with an easy to remember Toll Free number. If it require's a small annual fee, sort of a retainer, so be it. I'd rather this than a Pre-Paid service that might have to operate like an Insurance Company, thus cutting costs wherever they could. Those cost cutting measures might come at your expense should you need an expert witness, lab analysis, outside investigator, etc.

Just my thoughts, perhaps not even worth $0.02.

Your thoughts are right in line with what I was thinking. Just a little better spelled out. Most of the work could be done by paralegal staff as it is currently handled .
Good preliminary work and a letter from an attorney quite often is all that is needed. If and when litigation were to raise its' ugly head, then is when a legal fund would be needed.
I know Randy Loun is no longer practicing due to health reasons, but I will contact him for some suggestions and report back.

Last edited:

amzbrady

I am amazed how many of us (including myself) law abiding citizens, talk about getting lawyers on retainers, having them on the sidelines, ready to defend us for LEGAL OPEN CARRY. I started thinking how assinine it is that we need to be prepared for a violation of our rights that might end in a harrasment case or worse an arrest. It is so stupid that we Americans have to worry about being arrested for not breaking the law in America by Law Enforcement that has been paid for by US Americans.
The thing I am more shocked with, is the fact we havnt figured out how to pool all our resources together to change the fact we are being Illegally arrested, Illegally detained, Illegally found guilty for crimes not commited then forced to take a plea deal to retain those rights that we shouldnt have lost in the first place. It is sad that night after night we sit together and yak about what should be done but yet are not really doing anything. There a few that put alot of time into writng letters, following up on them, and initiating meets to prove a point. I see alot of great minds here and I think if they could get together, they could put an end to alot of the illegal detainments.
To bad Poo or now Mr green jeans has taken the initiative to try to get the law passed for adults his age to be able to carry. I cant wait till he either get the age changed and can carry or just comes of age to carry, then he can focus on being able to carry without LEO harrasment.

OK, let the flamers begin flaming.

I typed
To bad Poo or now Mr green jeans has taken the initiative to try to get the law passed for adults his age to be able to carry. I cant wait till he either get the age changed and can carry or just comes of age to carry, then he can focus on being able to carry without LEO harrasment.

Sorry Poo.

I didnt mean too bad... there were two thoughts and part of one dissapeared and too bad landed in front of another thought. It was supposed to be Too bad more 18 year olds dont get on board with poo, and to say that Poo has taken the initiative.

Last edited:

Ruby

I am amazed how many of us (including myself) law abiding citizens, talk about getting lawyers on retainers, having them on the sidelines, ready to defend us for LEGAL OPEN CARRY. I started thinking how assinine it is that we need to be prepared for a violation of our rights that might end in a harrasment case or worse an arrest. It is so stupid that we Americans have to worry about being arrested for not breaking the law in America by Law Enforcement that has been paid for by US Americans.
The thing I am more shocked with, is the fact we havnt figured out how to pool all our resources together to change the fact we are being Illegally arrested, Illegally detained, Illegally found guilty for crimes not commited then forced to take a plea deal to retain those rights that we shouldnt have lost in the first place. It is sad that night after night we sit together and yak about what should be done but yet are not really doing anything. There a few that put alot of time into writng letters, following up on them, and initiating meets to prove a point. I see alot of great minds here and I think if they could get together, they could put an end to alot of the illegal detainments.

I don't see anything to flame. I think we are discussing an idea that several of us are interested in. Over on the "organization" thread several people mentioned a defense fund. So obviously, many of us recognize the need for possible legal representation.

I agree that it is a shame that such a thing is necessary to defend ourselves from prosecution for exercising a legal right. However, I think Josh's case and Kirby's case clearly show that it does happen and it requires money. I know I couldn't afford an attorney on my own, not at the present time anyway. And right there is the crux if the matter, or at least one of them. Law enforcement, PA's etc. KNOW that in all likelyhood most people do NOT have the necessary funds to pursue a case against an illegal action by LE. We as citizens do not have the clout like the NRA or SAF have, nor do we have the funds that they do. As much as I have been opposed to a formal organization, I think it might be prudent to ask someone on Wisconsin Carry Inc. if they have a legal defense fund or how they have so far handled this question. JMO

joejoejoe

We should be spending our efforts into getting the state law to change or eliminate the vague wording of a law that came into place after the Black Panthers. It would be cheaper...

Joe~

sudden valley gunner

I would hope for the Washigton group, this could be a good start.
Good Idea? Bad idea?

I find this a better idea than having a group of folks who might possibly lead to some sort of power struggle. And I would support something like this.

Squeak

I'd like to get someone(GoGo.Trigger Doc) to go to Oly with me and talk to a couple of our elected ones and explain to them what we really face. I have talked to Jan Angel and Derek Kilmer before. Different issues, tho. They will give us some time for a brief talk. Any ideas?

sudden valley gunner

I'd like to get someone(GoGo.Trigger Doc) to go to Oly with me and talk to a couple of our elected ones and explain to them what we really face. I have talked to Jan Angel and Derek Kilmer before. Different issues, tho. They will give us some time for a brief talk. Any ideas?

When you going? I been busy lately but could take time out to go to Oly.

Trigger Dr

Squeak,
I am ready to do this. BUT it will have to wait a few days. I am recovering from a severe allergic reaction to a prescription drug. Bad berries I'll tell ya.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

When you going? I been busy lately but could take time out to go to Oly.

Squeak,
I am ready to do this. BUT it will have to wait a few days. I am recovering from a severe allergic reaction to a prescription drug. Bad berries I'll tell ya.

I suspect more than a few days....no one is in Olympia this time of year. However, we would be smart to find a small caucus of friendly legislators and schedule a meeting with a well thought out presentation.

Ruby

Amz,

Over on the "organization" thread you pretty much came out against a formal organization; at least that is what I gathered from your comments. On this thread you are complaining that we just sit around and do nothing. Does anyone besides me see the inconsistency of that? I am not trying to be critical, just trying to understand how you could complain that nothing gets done and at the same time be against an organization that could very well get those things accomplished. I would be interested in hearing your comments about it.

Ruby

I suspect more than a few days....no one is in Olympia this time of year. However, we would be smart to find a small caucus of friendly legislators and schedule a meeting with a well thought out presentation.

This is EXACTLY where a "formal organization" would be most effective. I am trying to be more open minded about this. To be fair, there are instances where being a formal organization would clearly be advantageous.