• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Utah CFP in Michigan

SAMI

Hello all, I'm trying to find some answers for my family members who are relocating to Michigan. I realize this forum is of course geared towards OC, but I also recognize the wealth of knowlege found here for both OC and CC.

My BIL was told that he cannot carry concealed in Michigan because he does not have a current Utah Drivers License to go along with his Utah CFP. He's originally from Utah, went to med school in WV, did residency in FL, and is now a Dr. in Michigan and currently has a Florida DL. I'm not sure who (of what authority) told him that he can't carry due to his lack of a Utah DL.

From my research, Michigan "recognizes" the Utah CFP. I cannot find it written anywhere that one must have the DL of the permitted state of the CFP. Make sense? I haven't had time to pour through the Michigan Codes, but thought that some of the minds on here already versed in the codes could help.

Thoughts, comments... ?

Thanks

-Jason

SAMI

As I doubt he is a legal resident of Utah his CFP is useless as MI does not recognize none resident Concealed Pistol Licenses.

He would have to apply for a MI CPL once he establishes residency.

Out of curiosity how long has this been in law? When I took my Utah CFP class (I'm a UT resident FWIW) in Dec of 2009, Michigan was on the list of States that "recognize" the UT permit. I'm not saying they have reciprocity with Utah's permit, but they recognize the permit.

From what I'm finding in researching this, MI recognizes 'resident permits' meaning the permit is required to be issued to someone who is a resident of that State - so both DL and CFP need to be issued from the same State.

Last edited:

Beerme

Banned
Out of curiosity how long has this been in law? When I took my Utah CFP class (I'm a UT resident FWIW) in Dec of 2009, Michigan was on the list of States that "recognize" the UT permit. I'm not saying they have reciprocity with Utah's permit, but they recognize the permit.

From what I'm finding in researching this, MI recognizes 'resident permits' meaning the permit is required to be issued to someone who is a resident of that State - so both DL and CFP need to be issued from the same State.

that is correct and you stated he has a Florida DL and Utah CPL

SAMI

Right on, so the missing piece of the puzzle for legal carry in my BIL's case is that he gets a FL CFP to accompany his FL DL. Correct?

... Must add, they have every intention to move back to FL asap, so becoming a MI resident is not an option. ;)

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Right on, so the missing piece of the puzzle for legal carry in my BIL's case is that he gets a FL CFP to accompany his FL DL. Correct?

... Must add, they have every intention to move back to FL asap, so becoming a MI resident is not an option. ;)

Yes and its easy, he can take his classes here, and mail them to the county he is a resident in in Florida, along with a certified copy of fingerprints, and a picture. They will mail him his Florida CFP. (NRA instructor ofcourse, make sure he contacts the Flordia, AG office, to make sure that this is acceptable, but according to their web site it is).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Last edited:

apjonas

Before BIL

shells out the money and effort for a FL CCW, he ought to realize that he is a resident of Michigan (if he is indeed working as a physician in the state). Driver's Licenses and other indicia can be useful but are not dispositive. In fact he may end up in trouble for not having a MI DL (and auto registration, if applicable). So if he moved to Michigan to work (for an indefinite period of time - leaving ASAP doesn't cut it), scrap UT, FL, WV, etc. with regard to government-issued documents (unless there is some benefit to having a NR UT or FL) and go Wolverine with everything. How long has he been in MI? What is keeping him there? If he carries on the basis of a non-MI CPL and things go south, he will have extra problems. For a MI resident (as determined by a court, not BIL), a CPL from another state is about as useful as a Radio Shack Battery of the Month Card.

If he is truly a FL resident and is in MI for a clearly temporary purpose, then the FL CCW might work. Incidentally, why didn't he get one while in FL? Much easier (and cheaper). Of course, FL might argue that he is a NR because of where he lives, so perhaps he should wait until he returns to FL. Life is complicated enough, BIL ought to simplify what he can (and do the right thing as well). Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Florida understands that about a third of their residents live in their state for only 51% of the time or even less. This is because they have no income tax, so lots of people "live" in Florida, also, MANY MANY people from Michigan, Ohio, and the north eastern states, go for fall and winter. When you renew you drivers license on line, you list your address on your drivers license, then your mailing address, which can be anywhere in the world, and that is where they mail it. Also their licenses are good for 8 years, and only get your pic taken every other time. So yep only a pic every 16 years on a Florida drivers license.

SAMI

shells out the money and effort for a FL CCW, he ought to realize that he is a resident of Michigan (if he is indeed working as a physician in the state). Driver's Licenses and other indicia can be useful but are not dispositive. In fact he may end up in trouble for not having a MI DL (and auto registration, if applicable). So if he moved to Michigan to work (for an indefinite period of time - leaving ASAP doesn't cut it), scrap UT, FL, WV, etc. with regard to government-issued documents (unless there is some benefit to having a NR UT or FL) and go Wolverine with everything. How long has he been in MI? What is keeping him there? If he carries on the basis of a non-MI CPL and things go south, he will have extra problems. For a MI resident (as determined by a court, not BIL), a CPL from another state is about as useful as a Radio Shack Battery of the Month Card.

If he is truly a FL resident and is in MI for a clearly temporary purpose, then the FL CCW might work. Incidentally, why didn't he get one while in FL? Much easier (and cheaper). Of course, FL might argue that he is a NR because of where he lives, so perhaps he should wait until he returns to FL. Life is complicated enough, BIL ought to simplify what he can (and do the right thing as well). Let us know what happens.

My brother and sister are both legit FL residents and have a house in FL, one WV, and now another in MI. They visit the FL house as much as possible because anyone would much rather be in FL than MI.. If you disagree you're lying. ;) They rent out the WV house, so they don't go there for anything other than landlord responsibilities. Why bother getting a FL permit when you already have a UT permit? FL and UT have a recipricating agreement, so the UT permit is just as good as the FL permit, regardless of whether residence is in FL or UT. They won't be in MI for more than 3 years, then it's back to FL perminently.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My brother and sister are both legit FL residents and have a house in FL, one WV, and now another in MI. They visit the FL house as much as possible because anyone would much rather be in FL than MI.. If you disagree you're lying. ;) They rent out the WV house, so they don't go there for anything other than landlord responsibilities. Why bother getting a FL permit when you already have a UT permit? FL and UT have a recipricating agreement, so the UT permit is just as good as the FL permit, regardless of whether residence is in FL or UT. They won't be in MI for more than 3 years, then it's back to FL perminently.

Residency is an issue which is determined by a number of facts... here is a court case detailing the issues involved. Also, I think Florida allows one to be a "resident" of Florida by filing a form/affidavit with the county and uses this to determine residency.
I would also say that although MI may have the ability to determine if someone is a MICHIGAN resident, I don't know what right MI has to determine if someone is a resident of any particular state... just that they are or are not a MI resident.
Have a look at this and this should help you...

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/people_v_williams.txt

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I would consider doing this, see the case listed above. I think FL is pretty simple for a carry license if one has a license from elsewhere (could be wrong, though)

Last edited:

SAMI

DrTodd, thanks for the great info. I've mentioned to them that they ought to get the FL permits, and look into possibly registering as seasonal residents of FL.. If that would atleast help some paper trail of them being FL residents, but being in MI for a few years. That way to a court, in the unfortunate event of a trial involving SD, there would atleast be some evidence proving they tried to keep everything legal and legit. They're great people, no criminal records, and he hasn't even carried in MI yet because he wants to be 100% certain on how he can do so legally - without having to become fulltime MI residents.... If possible.

autosurgeon

OK here is what the MI treasury Dept says about residency.

Chapter 2. Residency
1. Who is a Michigan resident?
You are a Michigan resident if Michigan is your
permanent home. Your permanent home is the place
you intend to return to whenever you go away. A
temporary absence from Michigan, such as
spending the winter in another state, does not make
you a part-year resident.
2. What determines principal residence?
Michigan law defines principal residence as the one
place where a person has his or her true, fixed, and
permanent home to which, whenever absent he or
she intends to return and that shall continue as a
principal residence until another principal residence
is established. In order to verify a persons claim
that a particular property is a principal residence,
Treasury will accept various documents that, taken
together, establish that the person or persons filing
the claim occupy the property as a principal
residence. Examples include drivers license, voter
registration card, cancelled checks listing the
property address, statements such as medical, bank
or charge accounts, income tax records indicating
the mailing address and insurance policies. No one
of these factors taken alone is controlling over any
other factor. Documentation needs to verify
occupancy between the periods of January 1 to May
1 of each year.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2856_11014_7.pdf

Here is what the SOS says

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Applying_for_lic_or_ID_SOS_428_222146_7.pdf

As for the 51% thing that might be wrong... I have too much info in my head.. :banghead: anyway I hope the above documents help.

SAMI

Thanks for the additional info autosurgeon..

I'm going to provide them with that info and let them decide what they're doing.