• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC Members hassled in Capitol Area District Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQ

Venator and I were in CADL's downtown branch today to attend the meeting on their weapon's policy and MCL 123.1102. We weren't packing, OC or otherwise.

The Security guard (older and more vocal one in the video) approached Venator and I as we sat at a table on the first floor to use our computers before the meeting began. He asked if we were carrying any weapons today. Venator and I refused to answer. The security guard told us we will be unable to go upstairs and attend the meeting until we answered.

Venator: we're going upstairs anyhow.
Guard: no you aren't.
Venator: you'll have to call the cops to stop us
Guard: okay.

What transpires in the video is what happened after the cops arrived. I missed the first minute of the encounter.

[video=youtube;HK6mghkhaGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6mghkhaGk[/video]

[video=youtube;acwm4Fjh5Ig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acwm4Fjh5Ig[/video]

[video=youtube;GiDqixmIz4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDqixmIz4U[/video]

[video=youtube;l3_EiLmrfmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_EiLmrfmw[/video]

Sorry the video is rotated 90 degrees, I was trying to get everyone in the frame.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

No audio for me either.

Ill be up there as soon as i can.

**update 6:20PM**
Scanners are goin off on you guys...recording it as i am writing this

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I'm getting too old for this. Nice adrenalin dump after. Enjoying a nice scotch on the rocks and kicking back.

Apparently the LPD was waiting for us outside in vehicles and there was some radio traffic on whether they should pull us over. For what? Those comments were nothing more than payback for standing up for civil rights. They just don't get it. I drove very safely out of town. The Q lives in Lansing so I don't know if he was stopped or not. No calls from him yet.

PDinDetroit

I'm getting too old for this. Nice adrenalin dump after. Enjoying a nice scotch on the rocks and kicking back.

Apparently the LPD was waiting for us outside in vehicles and there was some radio traffic on whether they should pull us over. For what? Those comments were nothing more than payback for standing up for civil rights. They just don't get it. I drove very safely out of town. The Q lives in Lansing so I don't know if he was stopped or not. No calls from him yet.

Sorry to see this happen to you guys.

File a damn complaint with the department and with the Michigan Attorney General - Clear Violation of 4th Amendment to US Constitution and Article I Section 11 of the Michigan Constitution. They are out of hand and need to be dealt with.

Venator

Notice the board member speaking wants safety for family's yet deprives them of the ability to protect them. All silly emotion and no logic.

When I posed this question to her in the elevator she couldn't come up with a logical answer. I mentioned that all you did was keep law-abidding citizens out as they respect the policy and criminal won't care. I also asked her how many shootings occur in police stations, gun shows, ranges, etc. That paused her for a second. I left her with, good luck with your policy, I'm sure it will keep armed criminals out.

Also the weekly City Pulse reporter was there and interview Q and I, we left before he talked to any board members.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Notice the board members speaking wants safety for family's yet deprives them of the ability to protect them. All silly emotion and no logic.

When I posed this question to her in the elevator she couldn't come up with a logical answer. I mentioned that all you did was keep law-abidding citizens out as they respect the policy and criminal won't care. I also asked her how many shooting occur in police station, gun shows, ranges, etc. That paused her for a second. I left her with, good luck with your policy, I'm sure it will keep armed criminals out.

Also the weekly City Pulse reporter was there and interview Q and I, we left before he talked to any board members.

So, help me understand here.

How is this library chartered? Who owns the property? On what legal basis did they believe they could ban firearms?

TheQ

So, help me understand here.

How is this library chartered? Who owns the property? On what legal basis did they believe they could ban firearms?

The Library is an "Authority" which is a Corporation owned by the City of Lansing and the County of Ingham. 95% of their income comes from local property taxes or other public funding sources.

It is claimed the property is owned by the Lansing School District and leased to CADL.

They wouldn't comment on what legal authority they have. They only said their attorney advised them not to comment in case of litigation.

PDinDetroit

The Library is an "Authority" which is a Corporation owned by the City of Lansing and the County of Ingham. 95% of their income comes from local property taxes or other public funding sources.

It is claimed the property is owned by the Lansing School District and leased to CADL.

They wouldn't comment on what legal authority they have. They only said their attorney advised them not to comment in case of litigation.

That is because they know they will most likely lose a court case. Since they are formed from a City and a County, then they cannot have any more authority than those two entities. MI Firearm Preemption Applies due to this.

Venator

God god after listening to the radio traffic what the hell did they expect we would do? I was nothing but a gentleman during the meeting, I respected their unlawful policy, man what scardy cats. After all we were unarmed and posed no threat. This country is farther gone then I ever thought. Sad really.

PDinDetroit

I believe that this Library is acting outside the law.

Here are what they are opening themselves up to:

1. Denial of Civil Rights Lawsuit.
2. Misdemeanor Prosecution under MCL 752.11.
3. Losing a Lawsuit based upon MCL 123.1102 (filing an Injunction against Enforcement).

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-752-11

Time to show up at the Lansing City Council/Commission Meeting and inform them of such. Same thing with Ingham County.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

Even if it were school owned, OC would be legal with CPL

Theres other things to consider,they claim it is leased(and even so,that would only apply to that particular building)

And from what i and i believe TheQ have researched,theres no proof that the building is school owned anyways.

The school thing,no matter what wouldnt be able to fly for all the buildings,just this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.