• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA selling NRA Permit Slide Holsterfor OC

fire suppressor

I just renewed my NRA membership and was looking around there store when I came across what they are calling there NRA Permit Slide Holster. Basically its a simple drop in style holster you wear on your belt witch also has a viewing window on it to display your CPL. I took one look at it and laughed it reminded me too much of the open carry badges I've seen for sale. I'm not a big fan of theses as they can give the appearance of law enforcement, plus I do not want people to get in the habit of thinking they have to have a CPL to open carry. I appreciate the NRA for what they do for us to keep the second amendment but in all my years of supporting them I have never seen them promote open carry in a possessive way. I also became frustrated with there products description as it dose not follow the RCW "the law requires your permit to be on your person"

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Product/SA 333

Our best selling holster just got better. The versatility of the NRA Permit Slide Holster is unmatched, and with the addition of an integrated permit pocket, it has become indispensable. When carrying, the law requires your permit to be on your person. It makes sense to keep your carry permit right on your holster. The thick leather holster boasts heavy stitching like our original Slide Holster. The included clip can be attached to your belt -- or remove the clip and use the 1 ¾” belt loops. Wear it inside or outside the waistband, or even in the small of the back. The large size holster fits auto handguns 9mm-.45 (over 6” length, including the 1911) and the small size is for automatics from .22-.380 and sub-compact 9mm (6” overall length and below). We’ve included a discreet NRA label tab on each holster as well. Available in Black or Brown. Please note size and color when ordering. Imported.

joeroket

You are not required to have your CPL "on your person" you are required to have it in your immediate possession. There are quite a few members that simply keep it in their cars. While it is not on their person it is absolutely in their immediate possession.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

amlevin

Does anyone here remember the days when the registration for a vehicle had to be displayed? Most had a holder that either wrapped around the steering column or clipped on the visor.

Must be one of those oldtimers at the NRA that remembered this and thought it to be a good Idea for firearms.

For those that don't have a CPL or don't want to display it, why not get a holster like this and merely place a copy of the 2nd Amendment and/or Sec. 1, Art. 24 of the WA State Constitution in the "pocket"?

amlevin

How I see it happening.....
OCer places CCW permit on holster with gun
OCer is detained by LEO
LEO asks to see CCW permit (legally or not)
OCer reaches for CCW permit holder that is attached to holster with gun
LEO or LEO's partner aerates OCer with 9mm holes

How is this product a good idea again?

Maybe we should all wear our CPL's (or copy of 2A) around our necks on chains, just like the ID badges everyone seems to be wearing now days.

amzbrady

You are not required to have your CPL "on your person" you are required to have it in your immediate possession. There are quite a few members that simply keep it in their cars. While it is not on their person it is absolutely in their immediate possession.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

You failed to finish the important part of the quote... at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so

+1 kinda like paying WAC so you can buy a gun that has been discounted.

How I see it happening.....
OCer places CCW permit on holster with gun
OCer is detained by LEO
LEO asks to see CCW permit (legally or not)
OCer reaches for CCW permit holder that is attached to holster with gun
LEO or LEO's partner aerates OCer with 9mm holes

How is this product a good idea again?

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership and the media would have a field day if that were to happen.

joeroket

You failed to finish the important part of the quote... at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so

I didn't fail anything. I didn't bold it because it was not pertinent to the statement made that it is required to be on your person.

hermannr

Your CPL is only required IF you are CONCEALED. OC does not require a permit. (except loaded in a vehicle, then you could argue that the vehicle conceals the weapon)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As previously discussed a permit window is basically useless on an OC holster. Additionally, if you use this as an OWB holster, it has zero retention features.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
images

Don't forget one of these as well...

img1251.jpg

Thundar

Calling all Product Liability Lawyers, Calling all Product Liability Lawyers

This is a very stupid idea. You do not want to be reaching for your holster when accosted by the po-po. If anybody is shot because of this rig, I hope they sue the NRA into oblivion.

Calling all Product Liability Lawyers, Calling all Product Liability Lawyers

SpyderTattoo

+1 kinda like paying WAC so you can buy a gun that has been discounted.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership and the media would have a field day if that were to happen.

What do you mean discounted?

amzbrady

What do you mean discounted?

LOL, your right, I should correct it to read

I will not join the NRA because they have an agenda. I dont have the need to be a part of an orginazation that will gladly take my donations and not support all facets of the 2nd ammendment. Besides, I only have 1 rifle, a 10/22. I think they would do better as the NFA.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I wonder if these people have thought thru on this.

Now, if a cop wants to see my permit, I have to dig it out of the holster. No! Wait! That means I have to reach for my gun while being investigated by a police officer! Yeah, right. That will go over real good.

Or, now I'm guaranteed to be disarmed so the cop can then dig the permit out of the holster. And, whoever heard of a cop who didn't also wanta see your ID at the same time?

Why not just keep both permit and ID in your pocket or wallet and be done with it?

Oh, yeah. That don't make $$ for NRA or whoever thunk up this idea and the folks selling the holster.

Would one of y'all NRA members (I'm not), please write NRA and let them know about their little lapse in planning.