• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in weather?

1supra

Does everyone carry in the rain and stores like this? I don't like the idea of my sidearm or any firearm getting wet. What do you do if it gets wet?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

porterhouse83

I will carry my 1911 or glock in weather. I can not believe your afraid of getting your sidearm wet. Guess cops should unarm themselves if chasing a criminal through the elements? Sorry but this makes no sense to me at all. I will not be caught unarmed as criminals do not care if its bad weather.

Keens

I carry my sidearm openly no matter if its rain or shine. I don't even bother to cover it up if its pouring or snowing. It'll still function. I blow out any moisture with the compressor then clean and oil it as soon as I get home. My pistol ain't no safe queen but I keep her in tip-top shape.

Bellum_Intus

I carry the 92FS all weather..

Had 18 yrs of firearms that made it though everything from weather in Honduras, Korea, Iraq to countless places and conditions in the US :p

--Rob

Last edited:

1supra

I will carry my 1911 or glock in weather. I can not believe your afraid of getting your sidearm wet. Guess cops should unarm themselves if chasing a criminal through the elements? Sorry but this makes no sense to me at all. I will not be caught unarmed as criminals do not care if its bad weather.

No need for the attitude, I'm well finished with high school. Thanks though. You like to open carry? Think others should? Then don't bash those new to it. I take the best care of everything I own. I was simply asking a question. Never said I would dis-arm or was afraid. I said I didn't like it.

Thank you to the rest of you for your answers. I too support and help people new to activities I am knowledgeable in.

porterhouse83

No need for the attitude, I'm well finished with high school. Thanks though. You like to open carry? Think others should? Then don't bash those new to it. I take the best care of everything I own. I was simply asking a question. Never said I would dis-arm or was afraid. I said I didn't like it.

Thank you to the rest of you for your answers. I too support and help people new to activities I am knowledgeable in.

No attitude here. Just could not believe the question is all.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It's an excellent question.

Sidearms have come to be very personal items these days. And some of us like to carry nicer ones than average. It's not like a cop-issued duty gun that you have no pride about.

So, you have two ways to go when you choose to arm yourself. You can go very utilitarian, in which case plastic and stainless steel guns will have the edge, or you can just be much more proactive in cleaning a sidearm after exposure to the elements. But rest assured that no amount of rain is going to hurt your weapon in the course of the next few hours.

Sweat is worse than rain. Some people carry a little gun next to the skin. Even through a fabric holster, day-old sweat will ruin a gun much more quickly than neglected rain exposure.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Does everyone carry in the rain and stores like this?

If it's raining and I have a rain jacket, I just check to make sure I have my CHP with me, then cover it up. Otherwise, I break it down, wipe it down, and oil it before reassembling. <--- Takes about 3 minutes.

As for carry in stores, yes, I OC in stores, restaurants, while pumping gas, and just about everywhere else where OC is not prohibited by law. If it is, I'll CC, unless prohibited by law.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I don't think the question is unusual. I wondered about it myself when I started carrying.
Not really worried at the time about whether it got wet because of rain or snow, I just didn't really like it.
I dunno, just didn't seem like a terrific idea to me.
Anyhow, I've seen video of modern pistols that shoot even underwater. I believe most modern handguns are capable of that.
Which isn't the same as saying we hanker to see them get wet.

Anyhow, my choice at the time was to simply drape my arm over my sidearm. That kept the pistol dry(er) and still easily accessible.

Personally, I have a CHP, but tend to regard concealed carry as appropriate only at nudist parks.
Or when I'm out metal detecting at night... the time I am most likely to run into trouble... though I never have thus far.
(touch wood).

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

1supra

If it's raining and I have a rain jacket, I just check to make sure I have my CHP with me, then cover it up. Otherwise, I break it down, wipe it down, and oil it before reassembling. <--- Takes about 3 minutes.

As for carry in stores, yes, I OC in stores, restaurants, while pumping gas, and just about everywhere else where OC is not prohibited by law. If it is, I'll CC, unless prohibited by law.

Apologies. I meant to say 'storms' in my OP. I know about OC in stores, restaurants, etc.

I try to cover the top of my sidearm while walking from the truck into stores, etc. when it is raining.

Thanks all for the info. Pretty much what I thought, just wanted to verify. When I do obtain my CCW, it will be covered by my shirt or jacket in the weather.