• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No mass murders by guns until after GFSZ was passed

NAVYBLUE

VERY FEW mass murders by guns until after GFSZ was passed

I found this very enlightening. Also found out that this was passed during Bush I and not by Clinton. Although it was found unconstitutional it was modified by Clinton aka Janet Reno in 1997 attached to a Omnibus bill. It's something you can use to stuff in the face of "any" liberal anti gun "friends" you may have.

Also a political site I go to had a poster say that "GFSZ provides a game preserve of defenseless children for mass murders to shoot at" Ugly truth, yet the truth.

"Disastrous Gun Law Sparked School Shootings"

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2969916/posts

NAVYBLUE

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

The Claim of no mass schoolyard killings until the 1990's must be narrowly construed, I remember a Texas University shooting with a dude up in a tower picking people off with a deer rifle.

decklin

I found this very enlightening. Also found out that this was passed during Bush I and not by Clinton. Although it was found unconstitutional it was modified by Clinton aka Janet Reno in 1997 attached to a Omnibus bill. It's something you can use to stuff in the face of "any" liberal anti gun "friends" you may have.

Also a political site I go to had a poster say that "GFSZ provides a game preserve of defenseless children for mass murders to shoot at" Ugly truth, yet the truth.

"Disastrous Gun Law Sparked School Shootings"

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2969916/posts

NAVYBLUE

This guy should have done his research. It's not even close to being true, unfortunately.

12/30/1974 Olean High School, NY 11 wounded 3 killed
01/29/1979 Grover Cleveland Elementary, San Diego 9 wounded 2 killed
05/16/1986 Cokeville Elementary, WY 79 wounded 2 killed (suspects)
09/26/1988 Oakland Elementary, SC 15 wounded 1 killed
01/17/1989 Cleveland Elementary, CA 30 wounded 6 killed

Those are just some of them. There are many, many more. If we are going to use facts for our cause then we need to verify them first.

NAVYBLUE

This guy should have done his research. It's not even close to being true, unfortunately.

12/30/1974 Olean High School, NY 11 wounded 3 killed
01/29/1979 Grover Cleveland Elementary, San Diego 9 wounded 2 killed
05/16/1986 Cokeville Elementary, WY 79 wounded 2 killed (suspects)
09/26/1988 Oakland Elementary, SC 15 wounded 1 killed
01/17/1989 Cleveland Elementary, CA 30 wounded 6 killed

Those are just some of them. There are many, many more. If we are going to use facts for our cause then we need to verify them first.

OK, Mr everything has to be exact I changed it to VERY FEW mass murders. Here is what the FBI says constitutes a mass murder"

"Mass murder sometimes interchangeable with "mass destruction" is the act of murdering a large number of people (four or more), typically at the same time or over a relatively short period of time. According to the FBI, mass murder is defined as four or more murders occurring during a particular event with no cooling-off period between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location in which a number of victims are killed by an individual or more. Most acts of mass murder end with the death of the perpetrator(s), whether by direct suicide or being killed by law enforcement."

That being said there were very few mass murders prior to GFSZ. My main thought was the GFSZ has created gun free killing zones for the mentally deranged. And mentally deranged is something I can say with impunity as a former Social Security disability judge. Mentally competent people do not commit mass murder.

NAVYBLUE

decklin

OK, Mr everything has to be exact I changed it to VERY FEW mass murders. Here is what the FBI says constitutes a mass murder"

"Mass murder sometimes interchangeable with "mass destruction" is the act of murdering a large number of people (four or more), typically at the same time or over a relatively short period of time. According to the FBI, mass murder is defined as four or more murders occurring during a particular event with no cooling-off period between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location in which a number of victims are killed by an individual or more. Most acts of mass murder end with the death of the perpetrator(s), whether by direct suicide or being killed by law enforcement."

That being said there were very few mass murders prior to GFSZ. My main thought was the GFSZ has created gun free killing zones for the mentally deranged. And mentally deranged is something I can say with impunity as a former Social Security disability judge. Mentally competent people do not commit mass murder.

NAVYBLUE

Wow. Ok.
I agree that GFSZ's do nothing but disarm LAC's.
But the author makes a claim that is not supported by evidence. You then turned around making the same claim. If you cannot verify information then do not use it to convince others you are right!
The Anti's use emotion and lies to relay their agenda. We use verifiable facts!
By the way, just because someone commits a mass murder does not make one insane. They might just be evil. A sociopath knows what he is doing is wrong. He just does not care. That does not make him insane.
Psychopaths are by definition insane.

EMNofSeattle

I doubt GFSZA has any real effect on school shootings, repealing it won't prevent them either.

The people who shoot up schools are looking for infamy or want to kill the right type of people to make a shock. I doubt the thought of unarmed victims even factors into their minds.

Even if GFSZA is repealed it won't make much difference, because schools will still restrict the carrying of guns by employees by internal employment rules, armed security full time is not likely everywhere although some schools might do it. and parents who come in and out may or may not be armed.

of course GFSZA needs to be repealed as it is inconsistent with the 10th amendment. But without full time armed personal.... probably won't help much.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...of course GFSZA needs to be repealed as it is inconsistent with the 10th amendment. ...

The federal GFSZA, while a farce, is actually not the issue. It already exempts those licensed by the state anyway.

Most states have much more serious and binding laws regarding firearms possession on school grounds. These are the real hurdles.

EMNofSeattle

The federal GFSZA, while a farce, is actually not the issue. It already exempts those licensed by the state anyway.

Most states have much more serious and binding laws regarding firearms possession on school grounds. These are the real hurdles.

like what? no state that I'm aware of makes it a felony to be armed within 1000 feet of any school.

There's also the issue of the language of the law apparently bans unlicensed OC within 1000 feet of the schools even if allowed by the state
>also apparently bans the carry of guns within 1000 feet via reciprocity
>and bans the carry of guns by out of state police officers off duty whether carrying under LEOSA or a state analouge to LEOSA

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...There's also the issue of the language of the law apparently bans unlicensed OC within 1000 feet of the schools even if allowed by the state
>also apparently bans the carry of guns within 1000 feet via reciprocity
>and bans the carry of guns by out of state police officers off duty whether carrying under LEOSA or a state analouge to LEOSA

And, while the Federal GFSZA is not the issue in this thread, please remember that in most states it is not enforced. There are many unlicensed OC'ers in my state that carry within its "zones."

The FGFSZA gets more attention on the Internet than near any school.