• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

weed tax = solve $$ problems?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
thats what they said about every tax ... it will solve our $$ problems...and for about 1 nanosecond it might, then they'll just spend more

+1

That, and the last thing we need is more ability for the government to tax and regulate harmless stuff people do in their own home, like what plants they grow.

Enough is enough.

nonameisgood

It is illegal to grow tobacco without paying federal tax. May as well do the same for weed.

Just like distilled spirits. If they catch you with the distillation equipment and/or fermentable materials for liquor, they can take not just the contraband, but also seize the parcel of land and personal property associated with that parcel.

We have allowed this to persist unnoticed by most since prohibition. And it is entirely about control and taxes.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It is illegal to grow tobacco without paying federal tax. May as well do the same for weed.

So, tell me: in your book, precisely how many wrongs does it take to make a right? Three?

Heck, we might as well have an ammo reloading tax while we're at it. Wouldn't want people to cut into the profits of ammo makers, now would we? :rolleyes:

And why not a home brewers tax? What makes beer special?

And what makes these things special compared to food, anyway? Might was well start taxing the heck out of home farmers. Those rebel scum.

Home made furniture? Tax it.

Home made art, up to and including family photographs? Commerce clause it all. It affects the business of photo studios in other states, dammit!

Why, exactly, do you think we should draw the line?

Cooking dinner, perhaps?

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

We should NOT have a tax on marijuana.....or anything else for that matter.

One reason we all pay such high taxes right now is to feed the police state and war on drugs and prisons to house drug offenders.

If we legalize drugs then we dont need that money anymore and we dont need taxes on drugs.

We can lay off all the drug dogs too !!!

ron73440

Because our govt needs it!

Why would any thinking person believe the politians (D&R) would not find a pet project that will "save or create" jobs , or protect a rare rat, or fund another green energy project, or increase food stamps, or create more "affordable" housing, or...

No matter how much they find a way to take, they can spend it faster.

Freedom1Man

Just like distilled spirits. If they catch you with the distillation equipment and/or fermentable materials for liquor, they can take not just the contraband, but also seize the parcel of land and personal property associated with that parcel.

We have allowed this to persist unnoticed by most since prohibition. And it is entirely about control and taxes.

No, it is not illegal to grow tobacco without paying any taxes on it. It's illegal to sell it without paying the taxes.

As for alcohol I will get that code opened up later.

MagiK_SacK

I'd agree to a tax on marijuana under one condition only. If in the tax code and/or USC it was written that the revenue raised by the taxation of marijuana was only to be used to as an additional resource to pay back the national debt. Furthermore that conditionally in order to tax marijuana spending must decrease.

Now I am not delusional and I know that is one big pipe dream. So for that reason I wouldn't support a tax on marijuana.

Haunter

Of course only commercially grown cannabis could be taxed as it would require too many storm troopers to search everyone's backyard for elicit grows!

09jisaac

Now I am not delusional and I know that is one big pipe dream. So for that reason I wouldn't support a tax on marijuana.

You are delusional. Most tax money just goes into a big account that pays for everything so they'll just say that is isn't from the marijuana tax and it'll be partially true. Nobody would know where the tax money went.

And if it went into a special account just to pay the debt then the money that would have went to debt would go to something else.

nonameisgood

So, tell me: in your book, precisely how many wrongs does it take to make a right? Three?

.../QUOTE]
Sorry, forgot to make my sarcasm more apparent. I am NOT advocating taxing what people grow on their own. My point was more directed at the stupid way we regulate, prohibit, and tax.

That said, taxes on some thing act as user fees to facilitate product safety or, as in the case of motor fuel taxes, to build and repair required infrastructure upon which cars and truck operate.

Freedom1Man

I'd agree to a tax on marijuana under one condition only. If in the tax code and/or USC it was written that the revenue raised by the taxation of marijuana was only to be used to as an additional resource to pay back the national debt. Furthermore that conditionally in order to tax marijuana spending must decrease.

The national debt is a myth.

So, I agree, no tax on marijuana.