• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Confiscation Letters Sent Out in Connecticut!

Fuller Malarkey

This is speculation and assumption no more no less.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

It's noted you bring nothing to the conversation other than "speculation and assumption"....that which you attempt to discredit others for using.

We have no idea right now what or how "compliance" will be "forced" upon the citizens.

We have some idea of what they have at their disposal to use.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds good. I appreciate anything you can find out for us.

I'm picking (or will try to pick up records) that I requested in December ~ so it ain't fast - I have a promptness complaint filed regarding the lack of promptness. That might be heard, and if so, I would guess in NOV or DEC of this year.

Primus

It's noted you bring nothing to the conversation other than "speculation and assumption"....that which you attempt to discredit others for using.

We have no idea right now what or how "compliance" will be "forced" upon the citizens.

We have some idea of what they have at their disposal to use.

Do you sense the irony in commenting about my "speculation and assumptions" comment , and then your very next line says " we have no idea right now how "compliance" will be " forced" upon the citizens."

Makes sense..

You can note whatever you want at their disposal. To make the claim they will use it in any way, without any sort of evidence is..... ready..... speculation and assumption.

I still love you even if you don't want to be my brother.

Fuller Malarkey

Do you sense the irony in commenting about my "speculation and assumptions" comment , and then your very next line says " we have no idea right now how "compliance" will be " forced" upon the citizens."

Makes sense..

You can note whatever you want at their disposal. To make the claim they will use it in any way, without any sort of evidence is..... ready..... speculation and assumption.

I still love you even if you don't want to be my brother.

What Connecticut has assembled to use is no speculation. Everything you've offered is.

OC for ME

I attempted to read that beast of a law. Now, and I could be wrong, and CT experts should correct and cite as required. But, it seems that having a undeclared "large cap" mag is a class D felony. True? The state does know that you might have a AW or hi cap mag, else why request a cert. Thus there is PC to request a warrant to search for the AW or hi cap mag(s). A warrant will/may be issued.

If they find the AW or mags then they could be confiscated and then 14 days later you get a shot at getting them back. But, you apparently don't have the cert(s), because the state came and confiscated your guns and mags, so your efforts to regain your property will likely be in vain. I did not read a passage that stated that you receiving a cert, after the confiscation, that would mitigate the confiscation and your guns/mags would be returned to you without a "hearing" of some sort. They could do that, but I would like to see that.

There are penalties in the law and this gives the state the authority to come into your home and confiscate your gun(s) and mags.

If this occurs please let us know.

Primus

What Connecticut has assembled to use is no speculation. Everything you've offered is.

Do you have cites to show that they have "assembled" anything in connection with any of these laws? Pretty sure they've had SRT teams for a long time.....

Primus

I attempted to read that beast of a law. Now, and I could be wrong, and CT experts should correct and cite as required. But, it seems that having a undeclared "large cap" mag is a class D felony. True? The state does know that you might have a AW or hi cap mag, else why request a cert. Thus there is PC to request a warrant to search for the AW or hi cap mag(s). A warrant will/may be issued.

If they find the AW or mags then they could be confiscated and then 14 days later you get a shot at getting them back. But, you apparently don't have the cert(s), because the state came and confiscated your guns and mags, so your efforts to regain your property will likely be in vain. I did not read a passage that stated that you receiving a cert, after the confiscation, that would mitigate the confiscation and your guns/mags would be returned to you without a "hearing" of some sort. They could do that, but I would like to see that.

There are penalties in the law and this gives the state the authority to come into your home and confiscate your gun(s) and mags.

Key words are "might have". That's not remotely PC for any kind of warrant. That's exactly what I was saying earlier. Theres no evidence you still have it. They tell you get rid of weapon and if your caught with said weapon its a felony. There is no PC you STILL have said weapon....

davidmcbeth

Banned

First offense w/mags is just an infraction, just a fine ... subsequent violations are felonies.

Failure to register AW is felony.

The state really only knows who currently has a AW via a late attempt to register it (folks who reg on time are OK). Now the state does require guns bought to have a form sent to police upon the sale via the ffl but I don't think that this is evidence that one currently now has one in the state.

Never was any paperwork required for mags, still is none. So unless you filed a late declaration they have no idea.

Primus

First offense w/mags is just an infraction, just a fine ... subsequent violations are felonies.

The state really only knows who currently has a AW via a late attempt to register it (folks who reg on time are OK). Now the state does require guns bought to have a form sent to police upon the sale via the ffl but I don't think that this is evidence that one currently now has one in the state.

Never was any paperwork required for mags, still is none. So unless you filed a late declaration they have no idea.

I noticed you said the state requires forms to the PD from ffl when you purchase. Is there any record for when you sell?

OC for ME

Key words are "might have". That's not remotely PC for any kind of warrant. That's exactly what I was saying earlier. There's no evidence you still have it. They tell you get rid of weapon and if your caught with said weapon its a felony. There is no PC you STILL have said weapon....

In MA that may be true, in CT it is not entirely clear to me based on how I read (past tense) the law.

All LE has to do is convince a judge that there is probable cause. We have seen warrants issued based on information that was later found to have been less than accurate. If a confiscation occurs I hope it is reported.

Primus

In MA that may be true, in CT it is not entirely clear to me based on how I read (past tense) the law.

All LE has to do is convince a judge that there is probable cause. We have seen warrants issued based on information that was later found to have been less than accurate. If a confiscation occurs I hope it is reported.

Not sure how PC in MA is different then PC in CT.... or CA... or WA... or any state...

But it is what it is. I guess at this point we jus have to wait and see. It most certainly will be reported if anyone gets anything taken.

I for see someone getting guns taken but only in conjunction with some other offense or if there is a warrant issues it'll be based on something other then a piece of paper. Such as... an angry wife calling and saying hubby has guns.

OC for ME

Well, since there can never be any confirmation regarding the current possession of a prohibited weapon then why is there a law that requires you to "register" something to begin with. As to Primus' question regarding documenting a sale.....the weapon was "gifted." Unless of course, all transfers must be reported to the state.

Anyway, Primus, again contorts himself into not wanting to see the logic, or absence of logic, in the posted "letter." CT can confiscate your guns if you fail to register your AW and mags.

davidmcbeth

Banned
CT confiscation letters - none actually sent out by DESPP?

I contacted DESPP today, filing a records request in respect to letters like or similar to the confiscation one (form letter) being discussed (2 JAN 14 dated) on the internet here and elsewhere.

DESPP has sent NO LETTERS at all out per DESPP. They are baffled about the ones posted on the web.

I have asked Lt. Cooke to confirm via email .. he's out of the office until 2 MAR 14.

I guess its possible that the letters are a hoax....or a letter was sent out into the public domain by a DESPP employee w/o authorization.

Primus

I contacted DESPP today, filing a records request in respect to letters like or similar to the confiscation one (form letter) being discussed (2 JAN 14 dated) on the internet here and elsewhere.

DESPP has sent NO LETTERS at all out per DESPP. They are baffled about the ones posted on the web.

I have asked Lt. Cooke to confirm via email .. he's out of the office until 2 MAR 14.

I guess its possible that the letters are a hoax....or a letter was sent out into the public domain by a DESPP employee w/o authorization.

Lmao... this is classic if it is true. IF..... big IF ..... its true, I wonder who would send it out? Guys trying to stir up the emotions and some fervor? Or the antis trying to scare the gun guys into getting rid of guns.

Thanks again as always for doing to leg work and actually providing some truth to these matters. I can say I appreciate the effort.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...DESPP has sent NO LETTERS at all out per DESPP. They are baffled about the ones posted on the web...

I had a feeling about that.

It just seemed like there weren't enough of them out there for it to have been done officially.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Dear Citizens of Connecticut: Get an injunction! Someone hire an attorney to file for an injunction in federal court. Gun confiscations have ALREADY been struck down by many courts as a flagrant infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. The key word is "infringement." The key question is, "does this action infringe on their right to keep and bear arms?" Clearly, it does.

FIGHT THIS!!! Don't just sit there mumbling, "Well, if the police says so, then it MUST be legal; they wouldn't lie to us..."

Wanna bet? They're lying to you right now. They are violating your right to keep and bear arms. This violates the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land, under oath which they MUST obey.

Since they're not obeying it, DO SOMETHING. Fight it! Get that injunction. Recall your legislators. Recall your governor!

You are PROTECTED from this kind of abuse. The CONSTITUTION is the Supreme Law of the Land, not the governor. Not the state police. When they violate the law, THEY become the criminals.

The CONSTITUTION says your right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. This confiscation is an INFRINGEMENT. It's a violation of your inalienable rights, among which you have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There are many more inalienable rights, including the right to keep and bear arms. Those rights are both guaranteed and PROTECTED against this type of abuse, as are ALL OTHER RIGHTS, as specified in the 9th and 10th Amendments in our Bill of Rights.

It's a RIGHT, people. Not a privilege. We have a Bill of RIGHTS, not a bill of privileges.

If you don't do something decisive, you will lose not only that right, but all the other rights it protects. You will lose your freedom of speech, your right to be secure in your persons and property against unreasonable search and seizure, and ALL other rights.

If you can't protect ALL your rights, then ALL your rights are subject to forfeit. That's the way history has ALWAYS gone, thousands upon thousands of times over, and as much as you might be proud of your state or think that'll never happen to you, you're wrong. It WILL happen to you... Unless you take a stand and fight.

http://viralsurvival.com/2014/02/25...cation-over-citizens-not-abiding-by-new-laws/

since9

Campaign Veteran
Might I suggest some OC protests in front of the homes of your reps who passed this illegal law.

Very bad idea. That will merely scare them and lead to undesirable confrontation.

People who're fearful do NOT think straight. You don't want a hyper version of Kent State, particularly when it would only give them, and the feds, an abundance of justification (regardless of the Constitution) to yank all gun ownership rights.

since9

Campaign Veteran
CT can confiscate your guns if you fail to register your AW and mags.

Under CT law, yes.

The problem is that any actual or even threat of a confiscation infringes on the right to keep and bear arms. Thus, CT violates the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the Land.

Thus, NO, they can NOT confiscate your firearms. Not legally. Don't forget the case of New Orleans police illegally confiscating the firearms of the citizens of New Orleans. The federal courts handed their butts back to the NOPD on a silver platter. It doesn't matter WHAT reasons or justifications law enforcement conjures up. "Shall not be infringed" means "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

Confiscation is an infringement. Period.

Last edited: