• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Those who will go out an steal a milk crate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

solus

quote:
A man was arrested in Polk Country, Florida, Thursday after deputies spotted him riding around town with a dairy crate attached to his bicycle... claims he found the dairy crate on the side of the road and attached it to his bicycle— a common modification many cyclists use as a way to add storage to their bikes.

Police officers say since the crate had the name of a local business on it, Sunshine State Dairy Farms, the crate belonged to the farm, (so)...booked... into the Polk County Jail, where he will will face a fine or a short jail stay. ... official charge: Possession of Dairy Crate. "Those who will go out an steal a milk crate ... are the same people who are probably breaking into cars, breaking into your house," Polk County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Carrie Horstman says unquote.
http://www.newser.com/story/231953/florida-man-ends-up-in-jail-for-possession-of-dairy-crate.html

surely the cost to the community in the salaries of the nice LEs, judical costs, prison costs out weigh the cost of a mass produced molded plastic milk carrier.

but the citizens of this community have a diligent law enforcement protecting them...

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I guess he had proof that the Schwinn bike he was riding was his.

What about those fruit of a loom undies he was wearing?

You driving a Chevy???? They are coming after you.....

solus

I guess he had proof that the Schwinn bike he was riding was his.

What about those fruit of a loom undies he was wearing?

You driving a Chevy???? They are coming after you.....

alas, the caption under the foto shows isn't related to the story...but one of newser's quarks...

quote: deputy noticed that Timothy Troller, of Auburndale, had a dairy crate attached to his a purple Mongoose BMX bicycle.

Deputies are actually out there proactively looking for things that don’t look right; looking for suspicious things. If they see somebody riding a bicycle at 10 o’clock at night they may have a conversation with them. unquote
http://wfla.com/2016/09/30/polk-county-man-arrested-for-having-milk-crate/

ipse

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP surely the cost to the community in the salaries of the nice LEs, judical costs, prison costs out weigh the cost of a mass produced molded plastic milk carrier.

Well, yes. Because...you know...it is...uh...more...uh...whatever to arrest someone than just seize the milk crate, put it in the trunk of the police car, and keep it there until the next coffee break when they can drop it off at whichever convenience store or grocery store carries that brand of milk.

Now that I think about it, my senior citizen mother would be in jeopardy for a metal milk crate acquired in the 1970's. Some readers will remember when milk crates were made of steel wire and painted. As far as I know, she still has one of those in her garage. I'd better call her right now and warn her, "Mom!! Don't let police in the house to talk to you about your vandalized bird feeder! They'll arrest you for that 1970's steel milk crate!"

C'mon mom. Pick up the phone. Oh, nooo. Why won't she answer the phone?!

Omigod! I just realized something! Milk crates are the gateway crime to stealing shopping carts! OH! It must be my mom! She must be the person secretly stealing all those blue shopping carts from her local WalMart. Oh, mom, mom, mom. Why? oh, why did you turn to a life of crime? Why didn't you get help back in 1972 when you snagged that first metal milk crate?

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
alas, the caption under the foto shows isn't related to the story...but one of newser's quarks...

quote: deputy noticed that Timothy Troller, of Auburndale, had a dairy crate attached to his a purple Mongoose BMX bicycle.

Deputies are actually out there proactively looking for things that don’t look right; looking for suspicious things. If they see somebody riding a bicycle at 10 o’clock at night they may have a conversation with them. unquote
http://wfla.com/2016/09/30/polk-county-man-arrested-for-having-milk-crate/

ipse
The guy looks like he can't afford a BMX bike. More reason to stop him, a case of profiling. It isn't safe out there anymore......

solus

Well, yes. Because...you know...it is...uh...more...uh...whatever to arrest someone than just seize the milk crate, put it in the trunk of the police car, and keep it there until the next coffee break when they can drop it off at whichever convenience store or grocery store carries that brand of milk.

Now that I think about it, my senior citizen mother would be in jeopardy for a metal milk crate acquired in the 1970's. Some readers will remember when milk crates were made of steel wire and painted. As far as I know, she still has one of those in her garage. I'd better call her right now and warn her, "Mom!! Don't let police in the house to talk to you about your vandalized bird feeder! They'll arrest you for that 1970's steel milk crate!"

C'mon mom. Pick up the phone. Oh, nooo. Why won't she answer the phone?!

Omigod! I just realized something! Milk crates are the gateway crime to stealing shopping carts! OH! It must be my mom! She must be the person secretly stealing all those blue shopping carts from her local WalMart. Oh, mom, mom, mom. Why? oh, why did you turn to a life of crime? Why didn't you get help back in 1972 when you snagged that first metal milk crate?

you know when you volunteer familial history, it exposes you to explaining your adult behavioural quirks you exhibit out here...:shocker:

now you put back all those pens you have stolen from your employer and this whistleblower, er good citizen,shan't turn you in..:eek:

go well and rescue your dear mother before she become incorrigible and a harden criminal.

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
you know when you volunteer familial history, it exposes you to explaining your adult behavioural quirks you exhibit out here...:shocker:

now you put back all those pens you have stolen from your employer and this whistleblower, er good citizen,shan't turn you in..:eek:

go well and rescue your dear mother before she become incorrigible and a harden criminal.

ipse

:D

For her I fear it might be too late! Oh, why didn't I recognize the signs when, as a child, I first saw that milk crate? I hope is not actually too late! My gosh!! It is only two steps from milk crates to shopping carts to bringing down the entire planetary financial system! Oh! Swift action is required now! I must stop her! For her, and for us!!

Mom! Mom! Answer the danged phone!!

Va_Nemo

"Milk Crate" policing is the Florida equivalent of the New York "Broken Window" theory of policing.

Nemo

TXOC16

Sure, it's all fun and games until someone gets a milk crate strapped to their bike and loses an eye...

solus

Thank goodness this is NOT my thread. If it were, I would ask it closed now.

oh thank goodness the judge dredd of censorship has arrive to pronounce judgement as well as their recommendation for sentence.

meme me up scotty...

ipse

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.