• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Baked on Grease

Been a busy body with a few fun 'encounters'

OCed with my buddy (not on the boards) to see Act of Valor at Cobb Village in Leesburg. A few minutes after we were seated my buddy decided to get something to snack on, and when he got up, and few younger folks behind us (Late teens) noticed he was OC. Once he was out of range, one said "He has a GUN", another said "Yea, Its OK, I think it's legal", then a young lady said, "Well I'm glad he s gone." I resisted the urge to turn around and give her the 'WTF' look.

While I OC'ed at the car wash I say a guy pull up with an NRA sticker on his car. He came over and asked if I was carrying a .45, and I replied affirmative. He informed me that he keeps a .380 in his car. I thought 'that is not going to do you any good if you need it' but just smiled and said something like "That's cool".

I did hear one person say "He has a GUN" while I was at McDonalds (Because I am fat) as I left. while I walked by the outside of the building I could see the girlfriend of the guy that vocalized my OC starting at me.

All in all, mostly positive and uneventful.

That's uneventful? That is more reactions than I have seen'noticed in almost a year since I started OCing.

Sent using tapatalk

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Went to Costco in Manassas earlier this week, OC'ing as usual of course, and as I was finishing up at a checkout line, the man behind me struck up a conversation. He carries, I didn't ask him if he was heeled at the moment, and we talked maybe two minutes as we started for the door. Very pleasant conversation.

Loaned my copy of this month's American Rifleman to a cashier at the Giant in Gainesville. I was helpful a little over a year ago with her buying a revolver... she got a Ruger GP100. Anyway, her husband expressed an interest in the Smith and Wesson "Governor" and that gun is reviewed in the current issue of AR.

architect

This is all assuming that I was in the roadway, which for the most part I was not. It's just that many areas near my home only have 1 sidewalk, so I am forced to go the direction it takes me or ride through other peoples yards on the other side of the road.
Ummm...you might want to check. I was taught growing up in Fairfax County that it is illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk, one is required to ride in the road. On the sidewalk, one is required to dismount, and walk one's bike.

IIRC, this was actually on the written test for a driver's license circa 1966. I remember this because I was outraged about the ironic irrelevancy of having to know laws that pertain to riding bicycles at the very time I was striving to move on from an activity that I associated with pre-adulthood.

Things may have changed since then, but I would guess not. My understanding is that bikes have the same standing as automobiles WRT traffic laws. They enjoy the same right of way, and are subject to the same rules of the road, e.g. must stop at stop signs and lights, cannot pass on the right, etc.

Since this is the "report thread" I am bound to state that the relevance is that performing prohibited activities while OC may well give police an excuse to violate an otherwise lawfully-engaged individual's rights. (Not that I think they are better schooled in this regard than in any other aspect of our over-legislated society.)

Baked on Grease

Ummm...you might want to check. I was taught growing up in Fairfax County that it is illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk, one is required to ride in the road. On the sidewalk, one is required to dismount, and walk one's bike.

IIRC, this was actually on the written test for a driver's license circa 1966. I remember this because I was outraged about the ironic irrelevancy of having to know laws that pertain to riding bicycles at the very time I was striving to move on from an activity that I associated with pre-adulthood.

Things may have changed since then, but I would guess not. My understanding is that bikes have the same standing as automobiles WRT traffic laws. They enjoy the same right of way, and are subject to the same rules of the road, e.g. must stop at stop signs and lights, cannot pass on the right, etc.

Since this is the "report thread" I am bound to state that the relevance is that performing prohibited activities while OC may well give police an excuse to violate an otherwise lawfully-engaged individual's rights. (Not that I think they are better schooled in this regard than in any other aspect of our over-legislated society.)

While in a roadway this is correct, they mist follow all laws as though they are a vehicle moving in roadway traffic. Code 46.2-903 of Va allows bikes on sidewalks but -904 allows localities to prohibit them on sidewalks provided that they must post signs conspicuoisly in the general area. Like the ones saying they must dismount while going over a bridge.

So while in a roawayd they are bound to follow road laws but in a sidewalk bicyclists are bound to follow pedestrian laws. Can't find anything specific about this in Loudoun County code just Va state code.

And to douse the flames of Citizen's coughing fit, I OC'd on my bike this morning around town, no issues but it was early so not many people out.

Sent using tapatalk

Steeler-gal

Out and about today.

Stopped in at Walmart in Fair Lakes no issues.

Shopped at the Home Depot in Fair Lakes for a few tools. No incidents. Although an older gentlemen said "ooh wee" as he passed me. Not sure if he was referring to my Kahr or the junk in my trunk. :D :rolleyes: :cool:

Picked up a pizza at Antonelli's in Lorton VA. No one mentioned anything but I thought I caught a patron staring.

Sent using Tapatalk

stickslinger

Rheingarten Restaurant

Just curious. anyone ever open carried in the Rheingarten Restaurant in Stafford, south of Quantico on RT 1?

sbuff

Fosters Grill

Went to Foster's in Bristow for lunch the other day, Walther P1 on my side. Table full of military types on my right giving me the eye. They were wearing Barettas in shoulder holsters, so not sure what they were thinking. Management knows me and my dog, so they never said anything. As they left, I was able to read a patch on one of their jumpsuits - they were Homeland Security. No wonder I felt safe in their presence. :lol:

mk4

Went to Foster's in Bristow for lunch the other day, Walther P1 on my side. Table full of military types on my right giving me the eye. They were wearing Barettas in shoulder holsters, so not sure what they were thinking. Management knows me and my dog, so they never said anything. As they left, I was able to read a patch on one of their jumpsuits - they were Homeland Security. No wonder I felt safe in their presence. :lol:

big sister's jack-booted troops...
dang it, no 'barfing' emoticon on this forum.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Met with a group of ladies from SHE CAN SHOOT: The Shooting Divas of DMV today to All Shooters Tactical in Woodbridge (EXCELLENCE NOTE: no "UNLOADED FIREARMS ONLY" sign on the door!!!!!!!!!!!!), then to Glory Days for lunch.

Our waiter at Glory Days asked us if this was "an open carry dinner" -- he had perused this forum last night and learned such things existed. We gave him some of Ed's Open Carry cards and invited him to join OCDO.

Three of us OC'd afterward at Village Thrift, and I went in to the Family Dollar store in the Lowes Plaza at Smoketown and Minnieville. No issues, though we did get some looks. Steeler-Gal got to have a nice conversation in the thrift store.

Steeler-gal

Met with a group of ladies from SHE CAN SHOOT: The Shooting Divas of DMV today to All Shooters Tactical in Woodbridge (EXCELLENCE NOTE: no "UNLOADED FIREARMS ONLY" sign on the door!!!!!!!!!!!!), then to Glory Days for lunch.

Our waiter at Glory Days asked us if this was "an open carry dinner" -- he had perused this forum last night and learned such things existed. We gave him some of Ed's Open Carry cards and invited him to join OCDO.

Three of us OC'd afterward at Village Thrift, and I went in to the Family Dollar store in the Lowes Plaza at Smoketown and Minnieville. No issues, though we did get some looks. Steeler-Gal got to have a nice conversation in the thrift store.

No fair - beating me to the post :)

I enjoyed my conversation. The man jokingly asked as we were checking out if we were with a gun club. I answered that we were which got me a "Really? Wow." Talked about where we shoot and where we shop and where we had been today. Then told him a little about our group (all women, 600+ strong, blah blah blah). He seemed pleased but surprised to see such a large group (all 3 of us LOL) out OCing together.

I hardly ever get encounters or interactions by myself so this was an especially good day for me.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Steeler-gal

I had thought they were anti. Guess that's not the case... which is a good thing.

I think the corp policy is anti but some of the individual restaurants don't have a problem

The Red Robin in Woodbridge is definitely Anti. Got kicked out of there on my 2nd or 3rd solo OC outing.

We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.

Steeler-gal

OCing at Top Golf in Alexandria. No issues with the staff but the four guys in the bay next to us (who are already drinking beers) keep eyeing me up. Hate being stared at.

stickslinger

Nothing too Special

Went to Clarks Bros to sight in a new 10/22, OC all over the place, no issues there (does that count?). Went on to get gas at Citgo, corner of route 29 and route 17 in Opal. Stopped by All Shooter's Tactical in Woodbridge to check it out and looking for a 10/22 magazine. Went on to Dawson's in Woodbridge, picked up the magazine, shopped around a bit. No issues at all.

Riana

OCd at Big Lots in Sterling this evening to buy snacks. Another customer saw me, and complimented me on "exercising my 2nd Amendment right." I thanked him. As I turned to leave after checking out, the cashier noticed, and said "Whoa! Is that a real gun?" When I said yes, he responded, "That's sweet!"

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The place where I get my haircut has three barbers: two Vietnamese females and a man who, judging from his name and accent might be from somewhere around Italy. I always wait for a certain one of the women since she does razor cuts. Anyway, the man on occasion, likes to tease me about my little friend. Two days ago he asked me some serious questions. Do I carry it loaded? (Yes sir). Do you need a permit to do that? (No sir). And a few more questions to which those asked received a simple, short, and polite response from me. He has raised similar questions before and I try to keep it "lightly" simple and of a "no bid deal" type of response. The lady who cuts my hair has never said anything about my little friend.