• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Long After Filing to Receive Your Michigan CPL? What County?

Bronson

Calhoun County, April 2008. My girlfriend and I applied at the same time. I received mine in 11 days and my girlfriend's took almost 3 months, we both had to appear before the gun board. Both of our CPLs are the old laminated style.

Calhoun county no longer requires going to the gun board meeting and they also now have the newer credit card style. For $10 you can go in and have your old laminated one replaced.

Bronson

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
5 years. And it's either the date of issue, or on your birthday. I don't recall which. Reason I say that, there was something a few years back about making them expire on the licensee's birthday. I thought it went into effect, but I could be wrong.

If I am wrong on that, then the 5 years starts on the issue date for the license.

Last edited:

lechwe

Got mine in Ingham county last year and it was 11 days from the time I turned in the application till they gave it to me. No appearance in front of the gun board either.

Golden Eagle

If I understand correctly, a cpl is good for 4 years. Does that 4 years start on the file date or issue date?

It's basically five years from your last birthday. So if say your birthday is two months from now your license will only be good for four years and two months.
The issue date on mine is when the board met and expires on my birthday in four years ten months.
Renew or apply before your birthday and it will then be five years.

Last edited:

Onnie

My understanding is this, don't go to the gun board meeting without a notification, unless you like sitting there and watching what happens. They will send you a card in the mail to let you know when to go, IF you go at all.

I got my CPL from Ingham County, where I live. Didn't have to attend any board meeting. I just got a card in the mail from the county clerk telling me I could pick up my CPL at their office.

Here they will talk to you before the meeting and if on the adjenda they will let you speak if they have questions on your application. Since i can just about bet they will have questions, ill be there.

TheQ

If I understand correctly, a cpl is good for 4 years. Does that 4 years start on the file date or issue date?

It expires in no less than 4 years and no more than 5 years from your next birthday.

So if your birthday is 1/1/1985 and you get your CPL on 12/31/2010, it will expire on 1/1/2015. If it was issued on 1/2/2011 it would expire on 1/1/2016.

Your first one is probably goof for less than 5 years. Renewals, if done on time, should be good for exactly 5 years.

Hope this clarifies.

Eric D

It expires in no less than 4 years and no more than 5 years from your next birthday.

Your first one is probably goof for less than 5 years. Renewals, if done on time, should be good for exactly 5 years.

Hope this clarifies.
Yes, it does. Thanks to all that replied. I've been lurking for some time now learning as much as I can and patiently waiting for my CPL filed in Livingston County 9-23-2010 to be issued. I'm hoping it doesn't take months.

Thanks again!

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
when i got mine from OC, it was 6 weeks to the day, and it was issued the day after my birthday.

Last edited:

Eric D

Social security number - Did You Supply Yours?

The form asked for social security number and I believe it states something like not providing it would delay processing.

I'm wondering if this in fact causes a delay. If you did not provide your SS but received your CPL quickly, would you please sound off here. It would be nice to let others know if suppling or not one's SS number makes a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Eric D

Well, I filed in Livingston County 9-23-2010 and picked up my CPL today, 10-22-2010. :banana: I also did not provide my S.S. number on the form, so I guess this doesn't slow thing at all.

Last edited:

Onnie

if what they told me yesterday is correct I should have mine by the 11th of november

thats about 70 days in Monroe.

Last edited:

pastorkory

Calhoun County

My hearing was Wednesday, Feb. 8 (2012). I did not need to appear. My CPL arrived in the mail two days later.
I'd describe it as "Sam's Club" style. No need to laminate...it's plastic.

Onnie

My hearing was Wednesday, Feb. 8 (2012). I did not need to appear. My CPL arrived in the mail two days later.
I'd describe it as "Sam's Club" style. No need to laminate...it's plastic.

Kewl, Congrats and enjoy! it takes a lot of weight off the shoulder!

Last edited by a moderator: