• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

this is a stick up ya'll!!!!

Jamie

Easy there, trigger

So is no one taking from this the idea that sometimes people make jokes and you really need to calm down before drawing on someone like that?

Ideally, yes, no one would ever make that mistake. But I don't think you're going to be able to stop everyone from joking. And given the fact that the OP and his girl were in no immediate danger even if it was a stick-up (target was the cashier, not the customer), it sounds like several of you would be in trouble for brandishing pretty quickly.

MedicineMan

So is no one taking from this the idea that sometimes people make jokes and you really need to calm down before drawing on someone like that?

Ideally, yes, no one would ever make that mistake. But I don't think you're going to be able to stop everyone from joking. And given the fact that the OP and his girl were in no immediate danger even if it was a stick-up (target was the cashier, not the customer), it sounds like several of you would be in trouble for brandishing pretty quickly.

NOPE.

In "my" State I have the option of using DEADLY FORCE to stop another if they are in comission of a FELONY.
This includes if I REASONALBLY believe them to be in commission of said felony.

As long as I really thoought it was a "stickup", which is a felony here, the "brandishing charge would not apply.
Matter of fact, he would need to feel lucky that he did not get shot.

All that said, you are 99.99999% likely to NEVER be "on scene" at a stickup or in the same situation as the OP.

hogeaterf6

Maybe I am misinterpreting this, the grammar probably an oversight on your part (it happens to me sometimes). If, when he said "This is a stick up", you stepped in front of your girlfriend I would say that was a bad move. I understand wanting to protect her my reaction may have been the same thing. Thinking about this if you step in front of her and pull your weapon, and say he was armed as well, and you exchange gun fire you are increasing her risk of being hit by a bullet that may miss you or be an in and out. Since I am sure you where trying to protect her I would submit the correct movement would be to move away from her while you draw.

I probably would have called the police to teach the bastard a lesson, or he probably would have a few extra holes.

Soooo......should he push her to the ground or hide behind her?

eye95

No. No. No. If we are to defend ourselves effectively, we must be able to make effective snap decisions. Adding to the decision mix "Is this guy kidding?" and not reacting until that question is answered could result in innocent deaths as a result of the hesitation.

Someone who makes such a joke is lucky if a potential defender has the extra beat necessary to correctly assess the joke. If such a joker ends up dead it is his own foolish fault.

Bebop

A joke is something like, two guys walk into a bar the third one ducks. Walking into a store with a hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses with his hands in his pockets shouting "This is a stick up" is not a joke and should not be taken as such. As far as you know he is a threat to yourself and other people in the store including the person working behind the counter. A split second is all you may have to save your life or the life of someone else.

M

McX

i guess sometimes humor is lost in translation. lucky the guy didnt get whacked before he got to mention it was a joke. i've always wanted to walk into a place and say loudly: everybody freeze Miami Vice, but i got enough common sense not to do that.

Evil Tyler Durden

Crummy California the most unfair state in the uni
Should have called the cops immediately, what he did was exactly like going into a theatre and yelling "FIRE!!!!". FYI that is a Felony and he would have been sent to prison.

On 2nd thought you should have pulled your gun and forced him to get on the ground. Then called the cops. That is NOT a joke you pull just as you stated in your original post.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Should have called the cops immediately, what he did was exactly like going into a theatre and yelling "FIRE!!!!". FYI that is a Felony and he would have been sent to prison.

On 2nd thought you should have pulled your gun and forced him to get on the ground. Then called the cops. That is NOT a joke you pull just as you stated in your original post.

Yelling "Fire" is NOT automatically a crime anywhere to my knowledge - if you see flames, some announcement/direction would be very much in order, even the responsible thing to do.

In the 2nd instance, forcing him to the ground at gun point, will more than likely bring some serious charges down upon you. Use of or threatening deadly force is certainly NOT warranted. Neither are we LEOs nor cowboys - my handgun does not leave its holster excepting if there is an immediate need of defending life and/or limb.

While no flame is intended, you seem to be over applying a little general information much too casually.