• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC banned at Poulsbo sportsman club

fire suppressor

For some unknown reason to me I was up early today and decided to go shooting. I had not been to the Poulsbo sportsman club in a while and it is so close it sounded like a good option. When I got there I signed in and read their rules, term and conditions posted on the wall. The rules had recently been revised and had a fairly recent date in it. I was surprised when I read "open carry is not allow with exception to organized events, concealed carry allowed".

Now lets get things strait I am not complaining or trying to speak down on the club it is their property and they can do what ever they want. I am not trying to bash them or go off on a rant but this is a open carry forum and this is open carry related.

I shot for about an hour with some nice people to my left and right. The range officer was present but was not over aggressive and stayed out of your way. All and all it was a nice day to get out and shoot without having to drive a distance. I was a little surprised with the printed no open carry rule as I do not remember seeing it posted before but I did not allow it to ruin my day

Last edited:

Vitaeus

wow, that makes absolutely NO sense. I also found this in their bylaws, with no mention as far as I can find of the Prohibition on OC?

http://www.pscnet.net/bylaws/Bylaws_August_2_2011.pdf

"3. All members of the Club (minimum of one member per family unit) shall be
required to be members in good standing of the National Rifle Association. Proof of
NRA membership must be provided joining or renewing the membership in the
Club. NRA Life members will only be required to provide proof of membership
once."

Metalhead47

wow, that makes absolutely NO sense. I also found this in their bylaws, with no mention as far as I can find of the Prohibition on OC?

http://www.pscnet.net/bylaws/Bylaws_August_2_2011.pdf

"3. All members of the Club (minimum of one member per family unit) shall be
required to be members in good standing of the National Rifle Association. Proof of
NRA membership must be provided joining or renewing the membership in the
Club. NRA Life members will only be required to provide proof of membership
once."

Not uncommon. Central Whidbey Sportsman's Association is the same way. IIRC they're insured by the NRA is why, or something like that. The OC prohibition at PSC is asinine tho.

fire suppressor

I already knew about the NRA thing doesn't matter right now anyway even if I did want to join their website says they reached their member cap of 750. Ever herd of a club like this having a member cap? Isn't that just turning away money

fire suppressor

Shooting from your holster is not mentioned in the rules I could find but I have been told many times by different range officers it is not allowed because it is a "unsafe practice" and potentially dangerous to the people around you. Best I can figure is concealed carry is tolerated because they can not see it but it is still preferred to leave a gun you are not shooting in your vehicle

amlevin

Almost all the "Club Ranges" in the Puget Sound area have a "NO OC" policy. Much of their rules are influenced by their insurance carrier, all designed to reduce risk. Not all ranges are as strict but those with an NRA affiliation usually ARE.

Range rules are designed to deal with the lowest common denominator. Of course all of us here are perfectly safe when we handle our firearms, it's always the other guy that's incompetent.

As the old saying goes, don't like their rules, get your own range and then you can write your own.

ManInBlack

Almost all the "Club Ranges" in the Puget Sound area have a "NO OC" policy. Much of their rules are influenced by their insurance carrier, all designed to reduce risk. Not all ranges are as strict but those with an NRA affiliation usually ARE.

Range rules are designed to deal with the lowest common denominator. Of course all of us here are perfectly safe when we handle our firearms, it's always the other guy that's incompetent.

As the old saying goes, don't like their rules, get your own range and then you can write your own.

Yes, because the incompetent guy will clearly be much safer if he is carrying a loaded weapon under clothing.

/sarcasm

Either way, you won't see it, so I suppose the "ostrich rule" is in effect here...

ManInBlack

Really? An attempt to dis-rail a legitimate topic about an unrelated group.

Derail is the word you were looking for.

As in, "You were so upset about someone's attempt to derail a thread, you just couldn't resist posting about it, further derailing the thread."

waterfowl woody

kittens? huh

now there is a derail.

change your name to gogokittens. lol

looks like WAC's policy is spreading. soon we will only be allowed to carry concealed and the gun industry of washington is the cause.

Tawnos

Luckily the two I go to do not have such ridiculous rules. Renton Fish and Game (Renton) and Evergreen Sportsman's Club (Olympia)

Er, RFGC doesn't allow any loaded firearms when entering the property:
FIREARMS: No concealed firearms are allowed on R. F. & G. property. All firearms must be
unloaded when entering R. F. & G. property.

Plus, they have the stupid 1 round rule:
RIFLE RANGE: No more than ONE round will be loaded at a time in any rifle or clip/
magazine. No rimfire (.22 or .17) rifles on the rifle range w/o the Rangemaster’s permission.

And forget about approaching the pistol range while open carrying your unloaded firearm:
PISTOL RANGE: No quick-draw shooting is permitted. No speed shooting. No pistols in
holsters. Keep off all dirt banks and berms.

ManInBlack

Er, RFGC doesn't allow any loaded firearms when entering the property:
FIREARMS: No concealed firearms are allowed on R. F. & G. property. All firearms must be
unloaded when entering R. F. & G. property.

Plus, they have the stupid 1 round rule:
RIFLE RANGE: No more than ONE round will be loaded at a time in any rifle or clip/
magazine. No rimfire (.22 or .17) rifles on the rifle range w/o the Rangemaster’s permission.

And forget about approaching the pistol range while open carrying your unloaded firearm:
PISTOL RANGE: No quick-draw shooting is permitted. No speed shooting. No pistols in
holsters. Keep off all dirt banks and berms.

Hateful.

waterfowl woody

The Poulsbo Sportsman Club is not authorized by the Washington State Legislature via RCW to create any administrative prohibitions in the Washington Administrative Code. Unless authorized by the legislature, the Poulsbo Sportsman Club cannot be ASSociated with the Washington Administrative Code (WAC).

Washington
Arms
Collectors

I should of been clear, but looks like everyone else understood.