• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Md. Senate Passes Gun Control Measure 28-19 OR 'How stupid can a legislative body get

NAVYBLUE

Just when you thought you have seen it all, here comes Maryland. I am 64 and retired NAVY but recently became a "defensive weapon" owner within the last (5) years so I am not up to speed on all the ins and outs of the "assault weapon" ban/reversal of 1994. i have read a lot in the last year and am "fairly" knowledeable about most types of weapons.

BUT, today I learned about "assault pistols" and I am befuddled. From MD's proposal here is what they call "assault pistols"

29 (C) [In this subtitle, “assault] “ASSAULT pistol” means any of the following
30 firearms [or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer]:
SENATE BILL 623 3
(1) AA Arms AP–9 semiautomatic pistol; 1
(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol; 2
(3) Claridge HI–TEC semiautomatic pistol; 3
(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol; 4
(5) Encom MK–IV, MP–9, or MP–45 semiautomatic pistol; 5
(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP–89 pistol; 6
(7) Holmes MP–83 semiautomatic pistol; 7
(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including 8 the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray; 9
(9) Intratec TEC–9/DC–9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire 10 variation; 11
(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol; 12
(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol; 13
(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell); 14
(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol; 15
(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or 16
(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic “

Educate me. Have any of you heard the term "assault pistols" ? That being said, if this passes, MD will have the most restrictive gun laws surpassing even DC, CA and NY. Having lived in PA for 20 years (home state) after (28) years in the NAVY I can say without any fear of being proven wrong that the closer you get to D.C. or NYC the more incredibly stupid the politicians get. Mayor Bloomberg/Governor Cuomo.

Need I say more. Here is the link.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0623f.pdf

NAVYBLUE

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
True antis particularly fear those scary looking, black, semi-auto pistols that go bang when you squeeze the trigger - they'd like to ban them all as portable assault devices......no matter what the length, shape or color.

motoxmann

NavyBlue, think about movies, and the guns you see steroetypical gang members using. in the movies they are usually full auto guns, but there are also semi-auto versions of all of those guns, and this list of "assault pistols" is basically a list of all the semi auto versions of those guns.

uzi, mac-10, tech-9 are pretty commonly known. you can do a google images search of any of the above named guns to see what they are (www.google.com, click 'images', type the name in the search box and hit enter, viola)
and in that list you also see Bushmaster semi-auto pistol. thats basically a pistol form of an AR. actually, it's pretty much identical to an AR but a large portion of the barrel is cut off.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, you have been sitting on your hands .... now you have just learned something: they only want you to have .22 cal. weapons.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just when you thought you have seen it all, here comes Maryland. I am 64 and retired NAVY but recently became a "defensive weapon" owner within the last (5) years so I am not up to speed on all the ins and outs of the "assault weapon" ban/reversal of 1994. i have read a lot in the last year and am "fairly" knowledeable about most types of weapons.

BUT, today I learned about "assault pistols" and I am befuddled. From MD's proposal here is what they call "assault pistols"

29 (C) [In this subtitle, “assault] “ASSAULT pistol” means any of the following
30 firearms [or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer]:
SENATE BILL 623 3
(1) AA Arms AP–9 semiautomatic pistol; 1
(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol; 2
(3) Claridge HI–TEC semiautomatic pistol; 3
(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol; 4
(5) Encom MK–IV, MP–9, or MP–45 semiautomatic pistol; 5
(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP–89 pistol; 6
(7) Holmes MP–83 semiautomatic pistol; 7
(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including 8 the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray; 9
(9) Intratec TEC–9/DC–9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire 10 variation; 11
(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol; 12
(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol; 13
(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell); 14
(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol; 15
(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or 16
(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic “

Educate me. Have any of you heard the term "assault pistols" ? That being said, if this passes, MD will have the most restrictive gun laws surpassing even DC, CA and NY. Having lived in PA for 20 years (home state) after (28) years in the NAVY I can say without any fear of being proven wrong that the closer you get to D.C. or NYC the more incredibly stupid the politicians get. Mayor Bloomberg/Governor Cuomo.

Need I say more. Here is the link.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0623f.pdf

NAVYBLUE

No, but I have heard an extremely ignorant senator refer to "assault magazines". [Feinstein]

"I can say without any fear of being proven wrong that the closer you get to D.C. or NYC the more incredibly stupid the politicians get."
Unless you live in Virginia, this is probably true. The Potomac River is more than just a geographical divide between sanity and outright craziness. The difference between Maryland and Virginia is night and day when it comes to firearms and their carry and use.

Bmeierholtz

Now this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Making up assault everything now aren't we? lol. Who ever keeps filling that koolaid they are drinking is a brilliant person.

How's this for most ridiculous? A 7 year old was SUSPENDED from school because while eating a pastry during snack time, while he was eating it, the shape turned into that of a handgun? He should have hurried and eaten it, then yelled "Where is the evidence"?
I followed a link from this site today and will have to try and post it here IF I can find it again.

FlyBoy276

Now this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Making up assault everything now aren't we? lol. Who ever keeps filling that koolaid they are drinking is a brilliant person.

Terms coined by 'assault politicians.' They (the politicians) should be confiscated and banned.