• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One reason I hesitate to Open Carry

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps it is time one is scheduled within the city limits. There must be at least two dozens restaurants in the Fan alone.

Do you have any recommendations? Historically the issue has not been finding a place that welcomes OC, but finding one that has the room to accomodate anywhere from one to three dozen folks - especially a place that can deal with expanding numbers as the date draws closer.

Please post your suggestions here on-line. The executive committee will probably welcome an opportunity not to have to wrack its collective brain searching for a location.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you have any recommendations? Historically the issue has not been finding a place that welcomes OC, but finding one that has the room to accomodate anywhere from one to three dozen folks - especially a place that can deal with expanding numbers as the date draws closer.

Please post your suggestions here on-line. The executive committee will probably welcome an opportunity not to have to wrack its collective brain searching for a location.

stay safe.

Perhaps it is time one is scheduled within the city limits. There must be at least two dozens restaurants in the Fan alone.

When an upcoming dinner is scheduled, a thread for it is typcally "stickied" at the top of the Virginia forum... http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia

The Greater Richmond OC Dinners are typically held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month - we try to vary the location to accommodate others. This is posted and stickied about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks in advance. So if a new place is suggested, we need some lead time to check it out if their acceptance.

Requirements have been ability to seat group of from 20 to 36 together (sometimes more) and a good menu selection - sushi, fried okra and tofu on the same plate do not meet the standard.

We welcome everyone whether OCing, CCing or not carrying; spouses, GFs, kids, families, friends and neighbors - we are a cross section of all lifestyles and professions.

We do have one unwritten rule of no alcohol - even though legal if not CCing it is considered bad form at our dinners.

kenny

stay safe.

Here are three off the top of my head. Kitchen 64, the Boulevard and 95/64. They can seat 40-50. Buz & Neds Bar-B-Que. 30 inside and at least that many outside. The Robin Inn, Park Avenue at N. Robinson Street. 50 with no problem. All three are well know and located in the city. Delegate Manoli Loupassi's sister owns the The Robin Inn.

The city has some wonderful resources for those who take the time to find them.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
The Robin Inn, Park Avenue at N. Robinson Street. 50 with no problem. All three are well know and located in the city. Delegate Manoli Loupassi's sister owns the The Robin Inn.
In the mid 1980s, when my brother was going to MCV, we'd visit him and eat at The Robin Inn.

Haven't been there in over 20 years... good memories.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here are three off the top of my head. Kitchen 64, the Boulevard and 95/64. They can seat 40-50. Buz & Neds Bar-B-Que. 30 inside and at least that many outside. The Robin Inn, Park Avenue at N. Robinson Street. 50 with no problem. All three are well know and located in the city. Delegate Manoli Loupassi's sister owns the The Robin Inn.

The city has some wonderful resources for those who take the time to find them.

A number of us have been to Buz & Neds as a group - they were hard pressed to seat 7 of us during peak times. They are opening a new large location at Broad and Parham (old Fuddruckers), but that is in Henrico Co.

The Robin Inn definitely does not have enough capacity - familiar with it - unless they would reserve 50-75% of the facility for us, potentially 100%.

Joe's Inn is friendly and has the space, but people would not be able to sit as a group and parking would be a nightmare.

I'm not familiar with Kitchen 64. Is it in one of the motels? Again, size may be the limiting condition as most owner/managers are not willing to hold such a large block of seats and turn away regulars. I'll check it out.

curtiswr

I'm not familiar with Kitchen 64. Is it in one of the motels? Again, size may be the limiting condition as most owner/managers are not willing to hold such a large block of seats and turn away regulars. I'll check it out.

9 of us ate there after the OC movie at Bow Tie movie theater. Seating was easy outside. Layout inside is basically a column of booths from the front to the back of the restaurant and a few tables off to the side.

Strawberry Street Cafe's layout would be pretty well conducive to an OC dinner, I think. Parking would not be.

One of the Thai places in Carytown could possibly work... Thai Diner 2 or Mom's Siam upper seating area possibly.

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

Just be sure to remember that before you lock in the chosen dinner location, you look at the Virginia Health Department inspection website to see if the place is run by dirtbags who don't care about sanitation, and have a terrible inspection history. I had my 30 year high school reunion this month in Chesapeake, and when I looked the restaurant up, I was horrified to see that they have a "urine"-poor history, with six critical violations each of the last three inspections! Needless to say, I made sure not to eat anything while I was there. But at least I was aware of the truth!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Basili's in Carytown is OC-friendly, and has more tables than booths, as well as being not-crowded between 7 and 9 PM. I'm just not sure how they would feel about pushing several tables together. I may have to go ask them.

Hooray! A plan for lunch, instead of soup&sammich at home.

stay safe.

kenny

A number of us have been to Buz & Neds as a group - they were hard pressed to seat 7 of us during peak times. They are opening a new large location at Broad and Parham (old Fuddruckers), but that is in Henrico Co.

The Robin Inn definitely does not have enough capacity - familiar with it - unless they would reserve 50-75% of the facility for us, potentially 100%.

Joe's Inn is friendly and has the space, but people would not be able to sit as a group and parking would be a nightmare.

So you have just justified your reasons for not spending money in the city. Ironic as I will not spend my money in the counties. Sounds to me like you are an exclusive organization.

Have you ever tried to have one in the city? I suspect not.

The places I listed have been used by neighborhood associations and can seat the amount stated. Unless you want to pay extra you can not expect a good establishment just to hold space for your organization. I thought 2A was for everybody not just a select few. I'm not mad, I'm just sorry that you have not taken the time to learn all about the City of Richmond.

curtiswr

So you have just justified your reasons for not spending money in the city. Ironic as I will not spend my money in the counties. Sounds to me like you are an exclusive organization.

The places I listed have been used by neighborhood associations and can seat the amount stated. Unless you want to pay extra you can not expect a good establishment just to hold space for your organization. I thought 2A was for everybody not just a select few. I'm not mad, I'm just sorry that you have not taken the time to learn all about the City of Richmond.

You're joking right?
24.gif

Were you never at the VCDL meetings at the Richmond public library on Franklin where afterwards we were packed into 3rd Street Diner like a bunch of sardines?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You're joking right?
24.gif

Were you never at the VCDL meetings at the Richmond public library on Franklin where afterwards we were packed into 3rd Street Diner like a bunch of sardines?

No Curtis. I'm afraid he isn't

charlie-sigh-769156.jpg

Pagan

Unless your girlfriend looks like the mother from "What's eating Gilbert Grape", how do you know someone won't case your place,for her when you leave? When you leave your house, put the weapons in the safe, and stash the key.
But then again, you know your town better than I.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Kenny,

The problem(s) with holding an OC dinner inside the city limits are numerous, and none of them have anything to do with being anti-city or pro-county.

1 - we need a place that can accommodate an expanding crowd. That means not only seating but parking. As we hold these event for the purpose of socializing as well as exposing the rest of the customers to a normalizing display of firearms, we like to sit together. That means tables that can be moved together.

Do you have some suggestions of where we can get at least 24 folks together at no more than two large tables? (You do not have to make actual reservations, but we do need to know they can/will accommodate us.)

2 - we need a place that will accept OC by a fairly large group. There are a number of restaurants in the city where I am personally welcome while OCing. But I usually am a solo diner so pose less of a menace to the establishment or the other patrons. I have discussed possible OC dinners at some of the places I dine (I eat out at least 3 nights a week) and have been turned down on the issue of large numbers of people with guns, while getting the "but we know you and are happy to see you and trust you not to do anything bad with your gun" BS.

Do you have some suggestions of where we will be welcomed as a large armed group?

3 - We never know until the night of the dinner exactly how many will actually show up - in spite of "confirmed" and "maybe" posts. I can recall at least one dinner when we had significantly more than we expected and the overflow had to find seats eslewhere. It was a situation that made several folks uncomfortable/unhappy because we do like to be together as one big happy group. It is unfair to the establishment to either overwhelm them or "promise" a specific number and then show up with fewer diners. That is why we do not make reservations, merely tell them our best guess.

Do you have some suggestions of places that can be as flexible as we need them to be? Especially if the numbers increase in the day before the dinner?

Rather than put us down as "elitists" who do not like to support city restaurants, how about working with us? So far we have not found a place that meets our needs - maybe because we just don't know where to look. Apparently you are a city guy so you might know.

Also -
Unless you want to pay extra you can not expect a good establishment just to hold space for your organization.
How much more are we talking about? We are not a formal organization with dues and a treasury. We are a bunch of "normal folks" who will be bringing some kids and some friends, and who need to watch the household budget. Give us some info to work with so a decision/consensus can be reached about how high a tab we might be willing to accept.

And you might want to keep in mind that, as a group, we tend to tip closer to 25% than to 20%, just so we can increase the good feelings folks have about us. That might factor in to decision of the places you reccommend.

stay safe.

kenny

Kenny,

The problem(s) with holding an OC dinner inside the city limits are numerous, and none of them have anything to do with being anti-city or pro-county.

1 - we need a place that can accommodate an expanding crowd. That means not only seating but parking. As we hold these event for the purpose of socializing as well as exposing the rest of the customers to a normalizing display of firearms, we like to sit together. That means tables that can be moved together.

Do you have some suggestions of where we can get at least 24 folks together at no more than two large tables? (You do not have to make actual reservations, but we do need to know they can/will accommodate us.)

2 - we need a place that will accept OC by a fairly large group. There are a number of restaurants in the city where I am personally welcome while OCing. But I usually am a solo diner so pose less of a menace to the establishment or the other patrons. I have discussed possible OC dinners at some of the places I dine (I eat out at least 3 nights a week) and have been turned down on the issue of large numbers of people with guns, while getting the "but we know you and are happy to see you and trust you not to do anything bad with your gun" BS.

Do you have some suggestions of where we will be welcomed as a large armed group?

3 - We never know until the night of the dinner exactly how many will actually show up - in spite of "confirmed" and "maybe" posts. I can recall at least one dinner when we had significantly more than we expected and the overflow had to find seats eslewhere. It was a situation that made several folks uncomfortable/unhappy because we do like to be together as one big happy group. It is unfair to the establishment to either overwhelm them or "promise" a specific number and then show up with fewer diners. That is why we do not make reservations, merely tell them our best guess.

Do you have some suggestions of places that can be as flexible as we need them to be? Especially if the numbers increase in the day before the dinner?

Rather than put us down as "elitists" who do not like to support city restaurants, how about working with us? So far we have not found a place that meets our needs - maybe because we just don't know where to look. Apparently you are a city guy so you might know.

Also - How much more are we talking about? We are not a formal organization with dues and a treasury. We are a bunch of "normal folks" who will be bringing some kids and some friends, and who need to watch the household budget. Give us some info to work with so a decision/consensus can be reached about how high a tab we might be willing to accept.

And you might want to keep in mind that, as a group, we tend to tip closer to 25% than to 20%, just so we can increase the good feelings folks have about us. That might factor in to decision of the places you reccommend.

stay safe.

Read my post above! Asked and answered.

kenny

What is this City vs County stuff? Why would one care where the restaurant is located?

Kenny, are you the Public Affairs Officer of the City of Richmond?

No I am not affiliated with the city other than a taxpayer. Generally this forum talks down or bad about the city. yet I have not seen the first attempt to do anything positive.

I have a choice where I spend my money. I choose to support my community Just as I am sure that people on this forum will not patronize city establishments because of their fears or perceived fears.