• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All I can say is: Thank god for poor shots!!

Rich7553

However, it is likely that they will still cling to the "gun-free zone" as the answer.

Mas49.56

It's sad Florida law allows this to happen. If the lady hitting him with the purse had a pistol she could have put one behind his ear easy.

Oh, and the guy running the meeting is a hero! He had a big pair talking like that and saved lives the best he could.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Long Version of the Video

[video=youtube;wQjQOlJvMzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjQOlJvMzE[/video]

Last edited:

aadvark

Florida Statute 790.115 was Broken.
However, Duke came to Defense of His Wifes' Job.

In this Economy, that IS Reality.

The MAGIC SCHOOL SAFETY ZONE BARRIER was Broken..., yet again. Imangine that!

Maybe..., just maybe..., this WILL be The Catalyst needed for The Florida Legislature to SNAP OUT OF IT and Allow Firearms in Schools and School Board Meetings, similiar to how MANY other States do now, Especially by Licensed Law-Abiding Citizens, so to Protect Themselves and their Families.

The Good News, as it pertains to this Incident, is that Dukes' Frustration was Vented to a Particular Group of People and was Specifically Focused on the Actions of The Bay County School Board, concerning His Wife. This WAS NOT a Random Act of Violence, where He just Walked in and Started Shooting.

The Bad News..., had Duke Opted to Commit the Later, then, Bay Countys' School Insurance would have to Footed The Burial Costs Associated with just such an Act.

There are NO easy Answers, BUT I do know One Thing for Certain, 10-20-LIFE did NOT stop Duke!
In Fact..., 10-20-LIFE Probably will NOT Stop Anyone.

Last edited:

brboyer

However, Duke came to Defense of His Wifes' Job.

In this Economy, that IS Reality.

The MAGIC SCHOOL SAFETY ZONE BARRIER was Broken..., yet again. Imangine that!

Maybe..., just maybe..., this WILL be The Catalyst needed for The Florida Legislature to SNAP OUT OF IT and Allow Firearms in Schools and School Board Meetings, similiar to how MANY other States do now, Especially by Licensed Law-Abiding Citizens, so to Protect Themselves and their Families.

The Good News, as it pertains to this Incident, is that Dukes' Frustration was Vented to a Particular Group of People and was Specifically Focused on the Actions of The Bay County School Board, concerning His Wife. This WAS NOT a Random Act of Violence, where He just Walked in and Started Shooting.

The Bad News..., had Duke Opted to Commit the Later, then, Bay Countys' School Insurance would have to Footed The Burial Costs Associated with just such an Act.

There are NO easy Answers, BUT I do know One Thing for Certain, 10-20-LIFE did NOT stop Duke!
In Fact..., 10-20-LIFE Probably will NOT Stop Anyone.

He violated several laws, but I don't think 790.115 is one of them. I don't think they hold meetings at a school.

aadvark

Ok..., well then, Fine... [...]
My Point is..., Florida NEEDS Gun Carry Reform!

mrjam2jab

He violated several laws, but I don't think 790.115 is one of them. I don't think they hold meetings at a school.

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/school-board-gunman-had-778192.html

Duke was charged in October 1999 with aggravated stalking, shooting or throwing a missile into a building or vehicle and obstructing justice, according to state records. He was convicted and sentenced in January 2000 to five years in prison and was released in January 2004. Records show Duke was a licensed massage therapist before his arrest but it wasn't clear if he was employed.
Attorney Ben Bollinger, who represented Duke during his trial, said Duke was waiting in the woods for his girlfriend with a rifle, wearing a mask and a bulletproof vest. She confronted him and then tried to leave in a vehicle, and Duke shot the tires.
Bollinger said as part of Duke's sentence, he was required to complete psychological counseling.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
It's clear to me by the man's actions, he had no intent to hurt anyone, just to commit suicide!

Too bad he did not do it in privacy.

Shot 1 - Duke - At Board President - Missed :30
Shot 2 - Duke - Accidental Discharge in to floor :32
Shot 3 - Jones Audio - hit Duke once :35
Shot 4 - Jones Audio - unknown effect :36
Shots 5 & 6 - Duke - at board member - Missed :36
Shot 7 - Jones Audio - Hit Duke, Dropped :37

[video=youtube;WGzEgXoOyGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGzEgXoOyGY[/video]

MKEgal

If the lady hitting him with the purse had a pistol she could have put one behind his ear easy.

When this showed up on our news I thought "oh, no, more ammo for the Brady Bunch". But they won't ever acknowledge that the man broke lots of laws, so one more wouldn't have stopped him.

And in looking at it, you're right - that woman was brave enough that if she'd had a gun she would have stopped the shooter instead of just whacking him with her purse. I can't imagine what she was thinking when she failed, he knocked her down, then told her to leave instead of shooting her. Probably had to change her drawers.

If anyone in that chamber had been armed, he would have been stopped sooner. Heck, how long was it before the armed security guard made his way in? How many shots had been fired, how many people could have died?

Thing is, the school board has no record of that man's wife ever working for the board, or any school there, let alone being fired by them. He was just deranged.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Thing is, the school board has no record of that man's wife ever working for the board, or any school there, let alone being fired by them. He was just deranged.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...UR-LYA?docId=9be7b23d6222452a8ad1617d8bb3579a

Tommye Lou Richardson, the district's personnel director, said Rebecca Crowder-Duke was fired from her job as a teacher in February. She had been hired in September 2009 as a primary school teacher for students with special needs but didn't pass her probation. She wasn't able to go into further detail on the reasons.
Richardson said Crowder-Duke had indicated that she felt like there was a violation of her employment rights, but she never filed a lawsuit.

Crowder-Duke was concerned about her loss of employment, but Richardson said she wouldn't describe her as angry. She hadn't heard from Crowder-Duke since, and wasn't aware until after the shooting that Clay Duke was her husband.

"There were no confrontations," she said. "There were no indications of anything as tragic as this."

Beretta92FSLady

It's sad Florida law allows this to happen. If the lady hitting him with the purse had a pistol she could have put one behind his ear easy.

Oh, and the guy running the meeting is a hero! He had a big pair talking like that and saved lives the best he could.

The guy running the meeting requesting that the gunman let everyone go and accepted responsibility for the gunmans wife being fired...he has some big cohonas! He is a hero IMO.

That lady had some guts to, going up behind him, he was a big guy...with a gun.

I wonder why it took security until after shots were fired before they came in to put the gunman down, WTF!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I wonder why it took security until after shots were fired before they came in to put the gunman down, WTF!

Jones was alerted to the situation when the audience and women were sent out. He was waiting outside the board room for the PD (read SWAT).

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
[sarcasm]

If only we had MORE gun control.

Obviously, when being stupid and crazy isn't the answer, being MORE stupid and crazy is the clear course to progress... We must disarm ourselves and become totally helpless, only then will we be safe and able to protect ourselves. It's so obvious! How can anyone disagree? Helplessness is invincibility! These people found out, this guy clearly took careful aim and tried to kill them all, but ended up only shooting himself! Obviously, his own choices and actions had nothing at all to do with it. How can you not understand that being helpless created a Jedi Mind Control power that allowed them to make the bullets miss? It's so clear and logical. You can almost see the magical barrier of fairy dust, rainbows, and unicorns that descends upon them for protection! Gun control is the clear, and only, answer!

[/sarcasm]