• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One Dead, 11 Injured in Off Campus shooting

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Two men were arrested in connection with a fatal shooting at a Youngstown State University fraternity house that left one dead, and 11 others injured, one critically.

The victim was identified as Jamail E. Johnson, a 25-year old university student. Five of the other shooting victims were students. All were treated at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Youngstown, including a 17 year old girl who was shot in the head, according to Youngstown Police Chief Jimmy Hughes. Eight of the injured were released by Sunday afternoon.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989504576128733569782312.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

zack991

Two men were arrested in connection with a fatal shooting at a Youngstown State University fraternity house that left one dead, and 11 others injured, one critically.

The victim was identified as Jamail E. Johnson, a 25-year old university student. Five of the other shooting victims were students. All were treated at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Youngstown, including a 17 year old girl who was shot in the head, according to Youngstown Police Chief Jimmy Hughes. Eight of the injured were released by Sunday afternoon.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989504576128733569782312.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

I can promise there where drugs involved one way or another which led to the shooting. I work in that hell hole of a town. Most of Youngstown to include that area is a well know heavy drug area. The campus has regular gang active and drug dealers all over the place is the norm. The cops are either corrupt and ARE getting a cut, or there is someone above them who is. When we have a shooting on E. market street for example the officers will wait 25 mins plus before any show on scene. The sad part is that shootings like this happen on a monthly bases and it gets much more frequent when summer hits. If you want combat experience and you don't want to join the military this is the place, you hear pistol and automatic gunfire throughout the night like its the forth of July. If the city ever burned to the ground you would not see me shed a tear.
Youngstown Violent Crime Rate per Capita:
Murder Is 3.10 times the National Average
Arson Is 10.81 times the National Average
Burglary Is 2.58 times the National Average
Forcible Rape Is 2.06 times the National Average

Data Source:
2009 FBI Report of Offenses Known to Law Enforcement

up to the day crimes that are reported.
http://www.spotcrime.com/oh/youngstown

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

BigDiesel330

Correction

I can promise there where drugs involved one way or another which led to the shooting. I work in that hell hole of a town. Most of Youngstown to include that area is a well know heavy drug area. The campus has regular gang active and drug dealers all over the place is the norm.

It was a fight over a girl. Unfortunately it was a house party, so they had lax security. Normally they had events at bars and other venues with better security, but this even was a lapse in judgment that cost people their lives. But from an OC point of view, the saddest thing was hearing the witnesses recount "No one fired back."