• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Lansing seeking Donations for Gun Buyback

TheQ

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120711/LANSING/307110039/Lansing-seeks-50K-gun-buyback-program?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
LANSING — Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero’s office plans to ask for at least $50,000 in donations from philanthropic and business groups to launch a program aimed at removing guns from streets.

Details for the buyback program are still in the works, so it’s not clear when it would begin or how it would operate. But Chad Gamble, the city’s chief operating officer, said administrators hope to raise funds as soon as possible in light of three gun-related homicides in recent weeks.

Bernero has called for Lansing police Chief Teresa Szymanski, Bishop David Maxwell of his Office of Community and Faith-Based Initiatives and other city leaders to come up with plans to address the recent rise in violent crime, Gamble said.

“We want to make sure that the community knows that we have been working on this, that we’re continuing to be creative,” he said.

On Sunday, 16-year-old Levon Edward Wilson, of Lansing, was shot and killed outside a house party near the intersection of North Jenison Avenue and Maple Street. Days earlier, Michelle Packard, a 34-year-old doctoral candidate at Michigan State University, died after she was hit in the head by a stray bullet while waiting for Lansing’s July 4 fireworks show at Adado Riverfront Park.

Denzel Moss, a 17-year-old incoming senior at Waverly High School, was killed June 11 in a shooting outside a townhouse on South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

City administrators and Lansing police want to develop a stronger awareness and enforcement plan for Lansing’s teen curfew, which is 10 p.m. for children 12 and younger and midnight for 13- to 16-year-olds. A gun buyback program might include an exchange of guns for gift cards to local businesses, Gamble said, adding that they also are considering involving church and parks staff to talk about recreation opportunities for kids.

Suppose there is any chance they will give me $1,000 for my LC9?

Anyone up for buying some cheap guns?

Those holsters/guns/clothes look like none other than Scott Webb and Rob Harris -- Rob being the guy with the tucked shirt. Am I right?

lil_freak_66

me, kimberguy and at least one more are planning on going if it takes off, but most of the comments ive read on the FB pages of news stories have been strongly against it(some even from people that in other stories ive seen seem very anti gun) so im not sure they have the support of the people to make it "worthwhile"

me and kimberguy also talked about buying up cheapo junk guns and selling them to the buyback for a profit, depending on what they pay...could be enough to cover a new gun or 3 =)

if they do it...why not set up a picnic at a nearby park and make it well known that the guys at the picnic will pay $10 more for any lawfully owned guns they like? plus the benefit of free food, good conversation and the gun not being destroyed

zekester

Do what they did in Champaign, Ill....

(snip)

"Guns Save Life," based in Champaign, Ill., recently sold 60 firearms to the Chicago Police Department -- 10 of which were manufactured before 1898 -- in exchange for $6,240 in gift cards, according to group president John Boch. The sale also included five BB guns and a rickety pump-action shotgun that was held together by duct tape and zip ties, he said.

But the department carried out the transaction anyway, and the organization used the proceeds to fund the youth shooting camp. Boch said the money earned is being used to buy rifles and ammunition for an annual summer camp held at Darnall Gun Works & Ranges in Bloomington, Ill.

Guns Save Life" said it sold its firearms to the city on June 23. For every gun sold, the group received $100 in the form of Visa debit card, Boch said. They received $10 for each BB gun.

The youth camp, which caters to children ages 9 to 16 and is sponsored by the National Rifle Association, "teaches the next generation how much fun shooting sports are and how to handle guns safely," he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz20JhxA7t3

lil_freak_66

can usually find a rickety duct tape held together shotgun for $40 at any gunshow, if they are being bought by city for $100 its a good profit, just look at it this way, $400 in junk guns @ 40apiece and reselling for $100 apiece, you would end up with $1000 after, netting you a $600 profit, thats an AR15 worth of money in profit.

alot of them pay in the $150-200 range too, which the lansing mayor is more than stupid enough to do, which could mean even more profit for junk shotguns, and crappy mosins could even be bought on MGO and sold to double money.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I have 2 mosin-nagants that are irreparable. I'd love it if I could unload them for $100 ea. Maybe I could get more if I could convince them they are "assault rifles" (sic)

templar223

$250 a gun and Guns Save Life will be there.

Yes, that was us at Guns Save Life that took them to the cleaners!

And for a good cause... to teach firearm safety and basic shooting skills to the next generation of gun owners!

John

Small_Arms_Collector

me, kimberguy and at least one more are planning on going if it takes off, but most of the comments ive read on the FB pages of news stories have been strongly against it(some even from people that in other stories ive seen seem very anti gun) so im not sure they have the support of the people to make it "worthwhile"

me and kimberguy also talked about buying up cheapo junk guns and selling them to the buyback for a profit, depending on what they pay...could be enough to cover a new gun or 3 =)

if they do it...why not set up a picnic at a nearby park and make it well known that the guys at the picnic will pay $10 more for any lawfully owned guns they like? plus the benefit of free food, good conversation and the gun not being destroyed

I'd be up for staking it out looking for something I like.

lil_freak_66

if it goes through, we could set up at nearby park with free food and such, offering more for guns we like which are lawfully owned =)

might even convince some others to keep they're lawfully owned arms instead of selling.

as for mosins getting assault rifle pricing...make sure to include your bayonet, a clearance bin $5 AK grip glued to the stock and $3 laser taped to the stock so that it can be reasonably argued that it has "assault rifle features" to garner the double price

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
if it goes through, we could set up at nearby park with free food and such, offering more for guns we like which are lawfully owned =)

might even convince some others to keep they're lawfully owned arms instead of selling.

as for mosins getting assault rifle pricing...make sure to include your bayonet, a clearance bin $5 AK grip glued to the stock and $3 laser taped to the stock so that it can be reasonably argued that it has "assault rifle features" to garner the double price

Maybe I could bring a picture of the flame that comes out if the barrel when I shoot it; I could tell them it's a flamethrower.

lil_freak_66

ah so you have an m44 or m38??

i loved the flame works on my matching # russian m44(got 300 trade value though!)...sadly my woman talked me into throwing it in for trade on a jeep, which isnt that bad of a trade, but im a short guy and my 91/30 is shoulder high, my sks and kalashnikov are luckily alot shorter =)

Small_Arms_Collector

can usually find a rickety duct tape held together shotgun for $40 at any gunshow, if they are being bought by city for $100 its a good profit, just look at it this way, $400 in junk guns @ 40apiece and reselling for $100 apiece, you would end up with $1000 after, netting you a $600 profit, thats an AR15 worth of money in profit.

alot of them pay in the $150-200 range too, which the lansing mayor is more than stupid enough to do, which could mean even more profit for junk shotguns, and crappy mosins could even be bought on MGO and sold to double money.

Please do not destroy Historic rifles, if the hoplophobes want to destroy something let them destroy something with no history.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
ah so you have an m44 or m38??

i loved the flame works on my matching # russian m44(got 300 trade value though!)...sadly my woman talked me into throwing it in for trade on a jeep, which isnt that bad of a trade, but im a short guy and my 91/30 is shoulder high, my sks and kalashnikov are luckily alot shorter =)

Wow $300, I got really nice ones from AIM for anywhere from $50-$89...my FFL 03 sure is fun. I don't have a preference of the m38 over the m44. Both are fun, and spit flame like a dragon, and ammo costs next to nothing as I last bought tins at $40 for 880 rounds and still have a few left.
Last few years though, I'm more into handguns and have a bigger interest in Nagant handguns than Nagant rifles. :)

lil_freak_66

i see no problem with "destroying" certain historic rifles...if say an M44 has the bayo lug cut off, it will never be remotely valuable to a collector. m91/30 with not a single matching # is the same way, refinished stocks and all that demote collector value...now if it was say a matching # remington made nagant or an obrez or something "rare" i wouldnt even consider selling it....but junkers i think are just fine

bought my m44 for $60 at a gunshow,tula russian, original military finish stock and matching #, didnt have the magazine spring, just the floorplate so $10 for the spring from a different dealer...$70 in total, minimal rust and no pitting. i think $300 came off pretty good, and the jeep was already at a low asking price.

willing to sell one of those ammo tins? ive shot all but my last 50 mosin rounds =/