• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Carry?

F350

Depends on the state you are in..... Here in Colorado the state Supreme Court just slapped University of Colorado around for banning CC, UC even has put out info to staff (read liberal proffs) that they can do nothing about students with CCWs carrying in class. At Colorado Mesa University I have encountered a member of the city's campus detail while OCing and he only made a comment on my "Gunny Glock" hat.

The wife is director of the library at CMU and in a meeting with the university VP over security and the sergeant over the police detail assigned to the campus about a stalker problem one of her employees has been having told them [paraphrase] I have my concealed carry permit and until this is resolved I will be carrying my gun to work[/paraphrase]. The VP just said "You do what you have to do to be safe".

So if you are looking for a university that respects freedom, come on out to western Colorado!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In NV, you must have the permission of the college's dean or president. For the NV public colleges, you can ask, but you will not receive it until after you have been raped by a serial rapist who goes on to kill future victims.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/0...ones-universities-unlikely-hero-nevada-woman/

UT and CO are the only states I know that really allow college campus carry by the good guys.

Now, if you hold a valid CCW permit, the penalty for getting caught armed on a college campus in NV is not nearly as severe as if you did not have the permit. I know many students and teachers at UNLV that are armed. The campus is a safer place for it.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Can someone inform me on the topic of carrying on a college campus?

In nevada you may only carry with permission from the school leader. That holds true for any school public private any age student. Also you may not so much as have your firearm on school property. Not on your car locked in a safe. No place.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

NRS

University, School, or Child Care facility
Per NRS 202.265 one may not have a firearm anywhere on the property of a University, School, or Child Care facility. Also, per NRS 393.410 loitering near school grounds with a dangerous weapon carries a greater penalty than loitering near school grounds without a weapon.

JohnMoses

So I guess open carry is a no go at college football games?
Not that I plan on going. Just trying to get informed.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Dammit, now I have to go look it up. I knew I'd get called for it, but I thought I'd get the rest of the afternoon to get around to it...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So I guess open carry is a no go at college football games?
Not that I plan on going. Just trying to get informed.

Correct. Which is why you won't see me there.

Actually, OC is allowed, but only by the group of people that have more wrongful or accidental shootings than any other, cops.

CowboyKen

Now, if you hold a valid CCW permit, the penalty for getting caught armed on a college campus in NV is not nearly as severe as if you did not have the permit.

Curious. NRS that defines this? I did not know that.

The relevant NRS sections
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673
NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of any public building. ...

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of:
(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265. ...

5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
and

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec350
NRS 202.350 Manufacture, importation, possession or use of dangerous weapon or silencer; carrying concealed weapon without permit; penalties; issuance of permit to carry concealed weapon; exceptions. ...

2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 202.275 and 212.185, a person who violates any of the provisions of: ...
(b) Paragraph (b) or subparagraph (1) or (3) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

IANAL

Ken

Last edited:

Merlin

Expect the Campus Carry legislation to make a comeback in the next legislative session.

Since you are new here, hurry up and get registered to vote! State offices are important, and are often won by just a few votes.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

JohnMoses

Expect the Campus Carry legislation to make a comeback in the next legislative session.

Since you are new here, hurry up and get registered to vote! State offices are important, and are often won by just a few votes.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I went to the DMV yesterday, got my Nevada drivers license, and registered to vote.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:
(a) An explosive or incendiary device;
(b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;
(c) A nunchaku or trefoil;
(d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;
(e) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or
(f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.
2. Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
3. This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:
(a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:
(1) Peace officer;
(2) School security guard; or
(3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.
(b) A child care facility which is located at or in the home of a natural person by the person who owns or operates the facility so long as the person resides in the home and the person complies with any laws governing the possession of such a weapon.
4. The provisions of this section apply to a child care facility located at or in the home of a natural person only during the normal hours of business of the facility.
5. For the purposes of this section:
(a) “Child care facility” means any child care facility that is licensed pursuant to chapter 432A of NRS or licensed by a city or county.
(b) “Firearm” includes any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
(c) “Nunchaku” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
(d) “Switchblade knife” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
(e) “Trefoil” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
(f) “Vehicle” has the meaning ascribed to “school bus” in NRS 484A.230.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 656; A 1993, 364; 1995, 1151; 2001, 806; 2007, 1913)
Violation of 202.265 is a gross misdemeanor.

Nevada carrier

As the Nevada State Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, You can bet your bottom dollar that Campus carry will make a come back in the '13 session. We now know what the opposition argument is and will counter it before they even get a word in edgewise. Also worth noting, SB231 was not "defeated" in the last session, it was cock-blocked by an assemblyman who chaired the committee that heard it. Had we known his close ties to UNLV as an adjunct professor prior, things might have been different.

these are the places in Southern Nevada you cannot carry (without permission) that are part of the NSHE, there may be others. UNLV, CSN (all campuses), NSC, Thomas & Mack, Desert Research Institute, Attomic Testing Museum, Sam Boyd Stadium and within the administrative offices of the NSHE.

Another thing to note, Private colleges that are not part of the NSHE are not off limits. ITT, Ai, Le Cordon Bleu, etc. are all perfectly okay to carry (legally speaking). Though I'm sure they will expel and trespass you if they discover it.

SoLasVegas

In nevada you may only carry with permission from the school leader. That holds true for any school public private any age student. Also you may not so much as have your firearm on school property. Not on your car locked in a safe. No place.

Private colleges and universities are not "schools" according to NRS. I am of the opinion that the restriction from possessing on the property of the NSHE does not prohibit possession at a private university or college (other than the prohibition of concealed carry at vocational or technical schools).

NRS 394.103  “Private schools” defined.  “Private schools” means private elementary and secondary educational institutions. The term does not include a home in which instruction is provided to a child who is excused from compulsory attendance pursuant to subsection 1 of NRS 392.070.

Since the term "school" is not defined within the statute prohibiting firearms, we have to reference the definition(s) given elsewhere in NRS. If the legislature had intended to prohibit possession on the grounds of a private university, then they could have plainly stated that instead of using the explicit language used which only applies to property of the NSHE. If a college or university was a school, then there would also be no need in the statute for the language regarding NSHE.

This definition is referenced in other locations of NRS as well.

Vegassteve

Private colleges and universities are not "schools" according to NRS. I am of the opinion that the restriction from possessing on the property of the NSHE does not prohibit possession at a private university or college (other than the prohibition of concealed carry at vocational or technical schools).

I believed that for a bit but what about these lines from the NRS?

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:

3. This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

I believed that for a bit but what about these lines from the NRS?

Schools are defined as Elementary, and secondary (high school). A private college is not a "school." A college is a post secondary institution and if it's private, it's not a part of the NSHE and firearms are not prohibited by law.