• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police calls: Shotgun-wielding camper walking to town (Whitefish)

Augustin

The Whitefish Pilot newspaper reported that a man was seen carrying a shotgun and a pistol. Since this story is in the Police Calls section I'm assuming that someone called the cops on this open carrier. One can only wonder how the scene was handled by the police as there are no details if the man was detained, or if his firearms were ran through the NCID database, thus effectively registering the guns to him.

http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/whitefishpilot/article_9a1d15c8-04fe-11e3-8245-001a4bcf887a.html

"Police calls: Shotgun-wielding camper walking to town

Saturday, Aug. 10

3:13 p.m. A man with a beard and wearing a fishing hat was seen carrying a large shotgun and pistol while hitchhiking along East Lakeshore Drive. The man was camping at a small lake in the area and didn’t want to leave his firearms at camp while he walked to town."

OC for ME

From the Police Calls web page:
Monday, Aug. 5 8:54 p.m. A strange man at the post office was taking photos of license plates.
Friday, Aug. 9 6:48 a.m. A man with a banjo was sitting in the middle of a parking lot on U.S. 93 South.
Saturday, Aug. 10 10:56 p.m. Canadians were tossed from a bar after fighting.
There is something going on up in Whitefish MT. Yepper, something is going on up there.

I have bookmarked that site.

onus

Whitefish is very liberal and most of the residents are transplants from other states.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a kinda sleepy town.

As I read down the list, I was expecting to see entries like:

"Aunt Bea's missing blue ribbon from the county fair was found."

Or, "The fire department rescued Mrs. O'Shea's cat from the old sycamore tree again."

DocWalker

Full of people that visited Glacier National, liked it, and didn't leave. We need better immigration controls for Western Montana.

And Idaho, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of those Californian's that screwed up their state and are now in Idaho complaining how "red" this state is with our "personal resposiability" and "gun loving", "freedom Loving" ways.....lol

Augustin

Here is why this is an important story.

I moved to Montana from the (emerging police) state of Colorado some years ago.

I remember reading many similar stories in the police blotter of the local paper where I lived about reports of a "man wearing camo and a gun." I also heard scanner calls go out when the cops aggressively responded to the dangerous perp.

ONCE ON SCENE, THE COPS WOULD RUN THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE FIREARM THROUGH THE NICS DATABASE (under the guise that they needed to make sure it wasn't stolen), EFFECTIVELY REGISTERING THE GUN TO THE OWNER - a stealth gun registration system completely supported by the supposedly 2A-friendly sheriff.

It got the point (in the one particular west slope town in Colorado) that ALL open carriers that the cops responded to got their firearm registered to them. I HATE TO SEE THIS START UP IN MONTANA.

AUGustin

Augustin

We need better immigration controls for Western Montana.

Right on!

I've suggested many times (and laughed at many times) that Montana should put a very high "tax" on out-of-state residents getting a Montana drivers license. If Montana charged $10,000 for a new drivers license it would discourage people from moving here and also help keep out those with lower incomes. The exception would be for anyone born in Montana who moves away and then returns.

In Montana it is unlawful to discriminate because of: Age, Familial Status (housing only), Marital Status, National Origin, Physical or Mental Disability, Political Beliefs or Ideas (governmental services and employment only), Race/Color, Religion/Creed, and Sex (including pregnancy, maternity and sexual harassment), so my taxation idea wouldn't be a violation of our discrimination laws.

AUGustin

PALO

And Idaho, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of those Californian's that screwed up their state and are now in Idaho complaining how "red" this state is with our "personal resposiability" and "gun loving", "freedom Loving" ways.....lol

My buddy lives out in the boondocks of King County. Very rural. It's an "open shoot" area which means as long as one has a proper backstop, it's perfectly ok to go into the backyard and shoot some rounds. Very cool.

The first time he did so, the count cops were called. They told him they received a call about gunshots coming from his property, called in by a neighbor. He said they were pretty cool and once they saw he had a backstop and thus wasn't shooting recklessly, they left. Didn't disarm him or any of that crap.

Apparently, his neighboor is a Seattle (read: CITY) transplant to the rural area, built a McMansion on the plot next to my friend's and can't accept that in the country, all the big city Seattle rules DO NOT APPLY. The next time my buddy shot (I was with him that time) in the backyard, the neighbor called the cops again. It was a different guy who responded this time and he did the same thing, just checked out the backstop. My buddy asked him if there was some way he could make a notation in their database that he was firing legally, so the cops wouldn't come out every time he shot. The cop said he could, but it would depend on if the responding officer did some checks in his computer system, that some guys don't do (if it's anything like my dept, it's old timers that dont like to use the computer, aren;'t super comfortable with it, so use dispatch mostly w/o doing research on their own on a property before responding).

The cop said he would speak with the complainant and explain that he lived in an open shoot area and he'd have to suck it up, if he didn't like his neighbors doing some shooting on a weekend afternoon. Apparently, the neighbor had never heard of "open shoot" and was incensed that people could just shoot their guns on their property (the cop returned to my buddy's house and told him the outcome of talking to the neighbor). TOUGH! The cop told him that now that they had checked and determined the backstop was valid, that the guy needed to stop calling the police for shots heard, since it had already been safety checked and could border on harassment. Apparently, the guy got livid etc.

The lesson is - research this crap BEFORE you move to a jurisdiction. This guy just assumed, as a big city denizen, that things in the country worked just like they do in the big city. hell no!

The former Seattleites are like the above mentioned CAlifornian. They move from their place to another place (whether Idaho or the rural county in the example I gave) and expect the locals etc. to conform to THEIR way of life. Au contraire. My buddy's neighbor can bitch and moan all he wants, but he should have done his due diligence BEFORE plunking down a million (or whatever) on his dream home in the country. A country boy can survive and all, and that includes shooting. The town that I live in very suburban and doesn't have "open shoot", but in the wide open county, it's a different story - very gun friendly.

I know a guy with a machine gun license. It would be AWESOME if he came out and shot with us. I can just imagine the neighbor hearing automatic gunfire and freaking out

onus

maybe the two democrat Montana senators should support deporting illegal aliens who are over running California. maybe if the state hadn't been overrun by illegal aliens then the people of California wouldn't be fleeing to other states.

DocWalker

maybe the two democrat Montana senators should support deporting illegal aliens who are over running California. maybe if the state hadn't been overrun by illegal aliens then the people of California wouldn't be fleeing to other states.

The fact that the California's are responsiable for this. They elected and continue to elect these people that have run the state into the ground then they complain and leave...then they complain about the new place not being like the old place.

It isn't the Montana senators it is the people of California that are to blame for California.

MontanaResident

The fact that the California's are responsiable for this. They elected and continue to elect these people that have run the state into the ground then they complain and leave...then they complain about the new place not being like the old place.

It's politics not politicians. The Terminator (Swartzenneger) was about the furthest thing from a politician when elected. The office twisted his tiny little brain into becoming yet another Californian anti gun crusader. Initially he wanted to simplify the gun laws, then he wanted to microstamp the fired primers, and lastly to limit ammo purchasing.

You can only vote for those that run for the office. Voting for the lesser of the worst is the choise. You decide.

DocWalker

It's politics not politicians. The Terminator (Swartzenneger) was about the furthest thing from a politician when elected. The office twisted his tiny little brain into becoming yet another Californian anti gun crusader. Initially he wanted to simplify the gun laws, then he wanted to microstamp the fired primers, and lastly to limit ammo purchasing.

You can only vote for those that run for the office. Voting for the lesser of the worst is the choise. You decide.

Pelosi is the lesser of two evils? Who is does she run against satin himself....lol

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Pelosi is the lesser of two evils? Who is does she run against satin himself....lol

Every once in a while Satan manages to get one of his senior personnel into office. I have it on reliable authority that she answers directly to him.

Its no accident that the hottest place in the US--Death Valley--is in CA.

Last edited:

OC for ME

<snip> It's an "open shoot" area which means as long as one has a proper backstop, it's perfectly ok to go into the backyard and shoot some rounds. Very cool.

<snip>
Cite please. I've searched the RCWs and cannot find any, likely my fault for not knowing how lawmakers referred to a backstop in the RCWs, referencing what is considered a proper backstop before a citizen shoots on his own property.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Every once in a while Satan manages to get one of his senior personnel into office. I have it on reliable authority that she answers directly to him.

Its no accident that the hottest place in the US--Death Valley--is in CA.
I think your "reliable authority" has it backwards about who answers to who.

LeMat

I live about 20 miles south of Whitefish.

Purely a resort town catering to actors and tree hugging green Nazis from liberal big cities. If you don't know how to run a cash register, there is no work here.

This does not surprise me at all. The Montana now is not the Montana I grew up in. Our population consists of implants from the east and west coast. Canadians own the majority of lake front property here. Farmland has become subdivisions. Public access to forest land has gotten bought up and closed off.

I've gotten to the point at which I am embarrassed to say I'm a Montanan. Whitefish is a perfect example of what is happening to this state.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Cite please. I've searched the RCWs and cannot find any, likely my fault for not knowing how lawmakers referred to a backstop in the RCWs, referencing what is considered a proper backstop before a citizen shoots on his own property.

That would be a local authority issue, those types of restrictions sound like county code.....