• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sacramento County (California) goes "shall issue" on concealed handgun permits!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Sacramento County (California) goes "shall issue" on concealed handgun permits!

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/25/2580718/second-amendment-rights-are-reaffirmed.html

SNIP

. . .

BELLEVUE, Wash. & SAN CARLOS, Calif. -- The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and the Calguns Foundation have dismissed their case against Sacramento County, California and its Sheriff, John McGinness, after the Sheriff modified his handgun carry permitting policy. Law-abiding Sacramento County residents may now successfully apply for permits to carry handguns by asserting self-defense as a basis for carry permit issuance. A one-year residency requirement has been eliminated, as has policy language that tied self-defense to arbitrary geographic factors.
. . .

Coded-Dude

MY buddy is going to be so excited. I was just talking to him the other day about california open carry laws. He was surprised, and a bit leery about what i was saying(i should have brought him a flyer). Anywho, this is good news for sac county gun owners.

Publius

For those that are A&G fans here is a copy of the email I have sent Armstrong and Getty who interviewed the Sheriff recently about this subject.

----------
Second Amendment Win In Sac County

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/10/25/...eaffirmed.html

Sheriff John McGinness was right, he didn't lose the lawsuit he faced, because he DID what he should have done to begin with and the suit was dropped!

I still say you shouldn't prostrate yourself to the Government and ask permission for your rights, just Open Carry, you know, "Bear Arms". CaliforniaOpenCarry.org
----------

1245A Defender

shhhh

shhhhh...
did you hear that???
i think i heard the first domino falling!!

ive been expecting something like this to happen,
ever since edward peruta posted about the benevolent friends of the police stuff!!
i know they are different cases, but it was strong juju..
and then the call for folks in all the counties!
i just kept my fingers crossed, and went to my happy place!
CONGRATS!!!

cato

I still say you shouldn't prostrate yourself to the Government and ask permission for your rights, just Open Carry, you know, "Bear Arms". CaliforniaOpenCarry.org
----------

There are some 1st A. benefits to being licensed to carry in CA. ;)

caskydiver

Let's not rest...

Let's not rest until ALL counties in California are "shall issue"!! This is really good news....

For those in Sacramento county, congrats! ...and please continue to fight the good fight for the rest of us stuck in other parts of the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

KS_to_CA

The SDSO should have done just that. If Gore did just that, Peruta's lawsuit could have been dropped. If he losses (I think the county would), not only would they have to change their policies but the SDSO would have been the trigger that would resonate through the entire PRK. Can you imagine the discussion when the Chiefs come together for a dinner after a court loss?

Enjoy it Sacramento!

Michigander

How does this effect incorporated Cities?
I live in Riverside City, Riverside County.
Thanks!

Not at all, unless they're in a county that decides to be shall issue.

Future litigation may have a further reaching state wide effect, but this pretty well means nothing to your county that I am aware of.