• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The anti's are everywhere... Even here in the northwoods.

stickbow95

My wife left for work a couple of hours ago. She just sent me a text message saying that there was a note in her mailbox stating that she is not allowed to have a weapon of any sort while at work.

She works at Wild Eagle Lodge here in Eagle River. River Valley State Bank owns the property, however she is employed by IDM management group, the letter was issued by them.

I am going to ask her if the attached Boondockers lounge is posted.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
The same river valley bank that owes over $700million in TARP Bailouts

My wife left for work a couple of hours ago. She just sent me a text message saying that there was a note in her mailbox stating that she is not allowed to have a weapon of any sort while at work.

She works at Wild Eagle Lodge here in Eagle River. River Valley State Bank owns the property, however she is employed by IDM management group, the letter was issued by them.

I am going to ask her if the attached Boondockers lounge is posted.

So, this means no scissors, nail clippers, any aerosol spray can, a vehicle, the tools needed to change a tire on that same vehicle...............................

safcrkr

It's not River Valley policy, it's the management company. River Valley Bank is not posted. I was just there, and I work with them all the time on foreclosures (Wild Eagle was one). They own the property now through foreclosure (along with a BUNCH of others from same owner... most in St. Germain and a few in Phelps), but rather than just shut the doors and lose more money, they hired a management company to keep them running while they attempt to sell them. We're talking hundreds of rental units, restaurants, bars... and snowmobile season is right around the corner. The management company is not local to the northwoods AFAIK. If they do post all those properties, they're sh!t out of luck if they need any more of my services, cuz I won't disarm to do work there. My company policy (which I own :)) is armed at all times.

If she gets a CWL, your wife can have whatever she wants (that's legal to possess :)) in her vehicle, on their property, and they cannot prohibit that. So can you. They cannot post the parking lots, only the buildings.

Last edited:

stickbow95

She asked me about the knife I gave her to keep in her purse. I told her to leave it in there. Nothing like an employer that prefers to employ potential victims. I'm going to make sure she has pepper spray as well. If it becomes an issue, she can get a different job as far as I'm concerned. If we didn't have kids to feed, I'd tell her to quit on the spot. I may still do that, I have to think about it a bit more...

safcrkr

So, this means no scissors, nail clippers, any aerosol spray can, a vehicle, the tools needed to change a tire on that same vehicle...............................

Drills, hammers, screwdrivers, pliers.... hope they don't need any doors or locks fixed. :) I kinda got a monopoly on that around here.

Last edited:

stickbow95

It's not River Valley policy, it's the management company. River Valley Bank is not posted. I was just there, and I work with them all the time on foreclosures (Wild Eagle was one). They own the property now through foreclosure (along with a BUNCH of others from same owner... most in St. Germain and a few in Phelps), but rather than just shut the doors and lose more money, they hired a management company to keep them running while they attempt to sell them. We're talking hundreds of rental units, restaurants, bars... and snowmobile season is right around the corner. The management company is not local to the northwoods AFAIK. If they do post all those properties, they're sh!t out of luck if they need any more of my services, cuz I won't disarm to do work there. My company policy (which I own :)) is armed at all times.

If she gets a CWL, your wife can have whatever she wants (that's legal to possess :)) in her vehicle, on their property, and they cannot prohibit that.

You posted as I was typing ;)

I am curious how well any local business will do in this area if they start to post. I've not seen very many as of yet.

I mentioned the vehicle thing to her also.

safcrkr

She asked me about the knife I gave her to keep in her purse. I told her to leave it in there. Nothing like an employer that prefers to employ potential victims. I'm going to make sure she has pepper spray as well. If it becomes an issue, she can get a different job as far as I'm concerned. If we didn't have kids to feed, I'd tell her to quit on the spot. I may still do that, I have to think about it a bit more...

Jobs are scarce in these parts... but if I hear of any openings I'll let you know. What does do? If it's front desk, Super 8 had a help wanted sign up last time I looked. Owner's name is Ron... good friend. Tell her to tell him I sent her. :) Use my username... he'll know who it is. It's the same as my license plate. :)

stickbow95

She does, in fact, work the front desk. I'll let her know about Super 8 as soon as she gets home tonight.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

safcrkr

You posted as I was typing ;)

I am curious how well any local business will do in this area if they start to post. I've not seen very many as of yet.

I mentioned the vehicle thing to her also.

The ONLY one I have seen was at the animal hospital by Derby Inn. Sign lasted 3 days after I discussed it with them in the 1st week the law was in effect. I've been taking my pets there since '91, and they all know me. And they've been my customer just as long.

My wife works at 1st National... not posting. Never even mentioned by anyone, so she asked at my request if they intended to. "NO", was the emphatic answer... followed by "that's dumb, we don't worry about our customers who get permits". Several of her fellow employees have asked me for training recommendations for their CWL in last few months since the law passed.

stickbow95

I noticed that the Ministry Medical Building in town is posted also. I had to turn around at the door and put my 1911 in my vehicle so I could go in to the Lab on Wednesday.

I'm glad to hear that 1st National will not post, as I do my banking there.
"that's dumb, we don't worry about our customers who get permits"
If only everyone had such a logical thought process...

safcrkr

She does, in fact, work the front desk. I'll let her know about Super 8 as soon as she gets home tonight.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Same guy owns Eagle River Inn & Riverdale Motel, and the owner of Derby Inn, Alan D., is a friend too. The manager at Days Inn, Bob, is too. They all know me by my user name here... it's my "nickname", because it's part of my job. :) If any are hiring, she can use my "name" at any of them. I know it doesn't pay much, but my daughter works at McDonalds. They're always hiring. She's been there 3 years and is scheduled for manager training soon. Better than nothing.

safcrkr

I noticed that the Ministry Medical Building in town is posted also. I had to turn around at the door and put my 1911 in my vehicle so I could go in to the Lab on Wednesday.

I'm glad to hear that 1st National will not post, as I do my banking there.
If only everyone had such a logical thought process...

Ministry's been posted since they opened. Forgot about them. So is the hospital. Always has been since I've lived here. They won't even allow cell-phones in the building (I suppose there's some reason for that... radio interferance with equipment, I was told). But I haven't seen any "new" postings due to Act 35. Especially businesses in town here, and elsewhere. I was at Fleet Farm in Antigo yesterday... they have a sign "Welcoming" concealed carry permit holders, hanging on the wall right inside the door. :)

Yetiman

I hope there's no assault weapons in their landscaping...

(oops, I would have typed rocks, but I have been hit in the head with one once in an attempted mugging while I was working and know better now)

MKEgal

Question: is it an employee policy (which is bad enough), or are they posting?
safcrkr said:
they hired a management company to keep them running while they attempt to sell them. We're talking hundreds of rental units, restaurants, bars... and snowmobile season is right around the corner. The management company is not local to the northwoods AFAIK
If they're posting the properties, instead of "only" making an employee policy, suggest an assortment of people explain to them, politely & after using spellcheck / grammar check, that their new policy is bad for business, as well as that they've given up their immunity from liability.
And if it is "only" an employee policy, again, explain that loss of immunity concept.

stickbow95 said:
Is this them: http://www.inndevmgmt.com/
10 S Water St. E; Fort Atkinson, WI; 53538
Phone: 920.563.0133

From their "people" page:

Craig Neddersen - President
cneddersen@inndevmgmt.com

Connie Barbian - Partner, Business Development and Marketing
cbarbian@inndevmgmt.com

Sean Skellie - Vice President of Business Analysis
sskellie@inndevmgmt.com

Becky Rogers - Director of Hotel Operations
brogers@inndevmgmt.com

Chris Nelson-Jeffers - Corporate Revenue Manager
cnelsonjeffers@inndevmgmt.com.com

If the properties are being posted, might also contact the bank to explain how the policy implemented by their hired help will lose the bank money by turning away customers & leaving them without immunity from liability.
https://www.rivervalleybank.com/index.cfm?pid=1
customer service toll free: 1.888.842.0221
Local office: 141 S Willow St.; PO Box 2350; Eagle River, WI; 54521
715-477-6206

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Wait...My Understanding Is An Employer Can NOT Prohibit Weapons In Vehicles....

whether that person has a license to conceal or not. I thought ACT 35 prevented an employer from prohibiting anyone from keeping a weapon in their vehicle...employee or not.

Did I miss something?

Tell the anti's to pack sand.

paul@paul-fisher.com

whether that person has a license to conceal or not. I thought ACT 35 prevented an employer from prohibiting anyone from keeping a weapon in their vehicle...employee or not.

Did I miss something?

Tell the anti's to pack sand.

175.60(15m)(b)An employer may not prohibit a licensee or an out-of-state licensee, as a condition of employment, from carrying a concealed weapon, a particular type of concealed weapon, or ammunition or from storing a weapon, a particular type of weapon, or ammunition in the licensee's or out-of-state licensee's own motor vehicle, regardless of whether the motor vehicle is used in the course of employment or whether the motor vehicle is driven or parked on property used by the employer.

Sorry. My employer requested that I show them my license.

Jason in WI

what?! get an F'in warrant!

Might as well get it over with now then having another employee see him store his firearm and cause a huge stink. As has been pointed out, you have to be a licensee to enjoy the protection.

It sucks but I didn't write the law, if I did it would have been less then one page repealing some laws and costing nothing.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I feel the law is misunderstood on this part........................

Might as well get it over with now then having another employee see him store his firearm and cause a huge stink. As has been pointed out, you have to be a licensee to enjoy the protection.

It sucks but I didn't write the law, if I did it would have been less then one page repealing some laws and costing nothing.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I am not getting this "need to have a license to keep a gun in your vehicle" as posted many times, laws as written do not say what is allowed, they say what is disallowed, and nowhere in this law does it say only a licensee can keep a gun in a vehicle.