• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Election Day - 2014

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Please go to your polling place and cast your ballot - it not only is your right, but I believe your obligation.

Not voting, even as a form of protest, puts the dark side in control.

My polling place is in an elementary school, so I cannot carry there, but I will be OCing an empty holster and mag cases as I have done for a number of years. Also will be wearing a RKBA type hat - don't expect any problems, but we shall see.

Polls are open now - gotta go get dressed and move out.

I've never looked that up. Do the mag cases have to be empty? (Yes, I promise I will investigate ...)

Repeater

"I Voted" ... on a gun

H/T David Codrea:

ScreenHunter_03%2BNov.%2B04%2B09.24.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've never looked that up. Do the mag cases have to be empty? (Yes, I promise I will investigate ...)
I honestly don't know for sure, Tess. I simply did what I would do at the Court House, no gun, no ammunition, no knife - better to error on the side of caution in this case.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I went, I voted, I got my sticker. :banana:

Hey, I got a sticker today too ... I guess we're sticker-buddies...

I had issues today with democrats calling the cops on me .. they don't like people providing facts to other voters I guess ...

And they spied on me .... now I'll get to spy on them .... forever ... we'll see who collects the most dirt ... it will be me, I'm sure.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is there any state out there that does not allow you the opportunity to write in the candidate of your choice, as opposed to the ones that were pre-printed?

Lots of times I have written in the name of my neighbor's dog only because I know that little beast will dump on the lawn and not on my head.

stay safe.

Almost all ballots have space for write in candidates (at least in my state) -- I routinely write in names, even if they did not file write in campaigns ...

mobeewan

I've lived on the same street for 43 years. this year I am in Bobby Scott's district. I wrote in Alfred E Neuman.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Gillespie lost a lot of gun votes which isn't really worth getting into, but that contributed to the tight margin so far. He chose his staff poorly and IMO, he's toast.

Yes, the Republicans made a sweep thanks to Obama but I'm not jumping on the "Let's dance" stage yet.

My political views are pretty simple. The only difference between the Republicans and the Democrats are the Republicans throw better parties.

Dave Brat is the only bright spot for me and it remains to be seen if he can resist the corrupt forces in Washington. Many well intending newbies go there only to be seduced by the painted lady.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]At any rate, for the next two years, in both Virginia's General Assembly and now in Congress, there will be a "Do nothing" atmosphere. The Republicans may pass great things only to be vetoed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Obama will use his Executive Powers even more now and there will be a massive push to get Obama Appointees in before the changeover.[/FONT]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gillespie lost a lot of gun votes which isn't really worth getting into, but that contributed to the tight margin so far. He chose his staff poorly and IMO, he's toast.
--snipped--
Obama will use his Executive Powers even more now and there will be a massive push to get Obama Appointees in before the changeover.
Agree - Gillespie beat himself. Coulda and Shouda are red headed step children.

Executive orders, legal or not, and political appointees, once approved, are nigh impossible to change. The road will be bumpy and full of potholes for the foreseeable future. We aren't home free.

OC for ME

You'll be hard pressed to find many (any?) republicans that are Obama. Right/wrong/ indifferent, any republican is better than Obama because they are not Obama. Replace Obama with liberal and the premise remains true.

Your vote is important.

AJG

Yes, the Republicans made a sweep thanks to Obama but I'm not jumping on the "Let's dance" stage yet.

My political views are pretty simple. The only difference between the Republicans and the Democrats are the Republicans throw better parties.

Dave Brat is the only bright spot for me and it remains to be seen if he can resist the corrupt forces in Washington. Many well intending newbies go there only to be seduced by the painted lady.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]At any rate, for the next two years, in both Virginia's General Assembly and now in Congress, there will be a "Do nothing" atmosphere. The Republicans may pass great things only to be vetoed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Obama will use his Executive Powers even more now and there will be a massive push to get Obama Appointees in before the changeover.[/FONT]

Gillespie lost votes yes, but to prove they were gun votes or votes related to his lobbying efforts/history are difficult at best to prove.
No doubt the gun lobby will claim victory and say it was due to the lack of answers.
As will all the other lobby's that had negative campaigns against him.
But what is worse is the fact (and I'm sure a recount will be requested) that Warner won.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gillespie lost votes yes, but to prove they were gun votes or votes related to his lobbying efforts/history are difficult at best to prove.
No doubt the gun lobby will claim victory and say it was due to the lack of answers.
But what is worse is the fact (and I'm sure a recount will be requested) that Warner won.
If it didn't hurt him, at the very least it did not help him......and he needed all of the help he could muster.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm not trying to prove it. It's my opinion and nothing else but his staff picks have a track record of leaving a bitter taste with gun owner's. That certainly isn't the only reason either. His record with lobby clients had more impact than gun owners IMO. At any rate, there will be a recount and since Virginia can't seem to count one vote for every vote cast, I fully expect the margin to get larger, but not in Gillespie's favor.

AtackDuck

2X loser

Tucker Martin advised Kilgore to ignore the VCDL, because he had the blessing of the NRA. He did it again for Gillespie. I wonder who will be the next victim of Tucker Martin's wisdom?

2a4all

I'm not trying to prove it. It's my opinion and nothing else but his staff picks have a track record of leaving a bitter taste with gun owner's. That certainly isn't the only reason either. His record with lobby clients had more impact than gun owners IMO. At any rate, there will be a recount and since Virginia can't seem to count one vote for every vote cast, I fully expect the margin to get larger, but not in Gillespie's favor.
+1 to that!