• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'High capacity' magazine bill alert

KIX

I missed this one.

Hope some contact Monday would be OK.

This would be insane.

Jonathan

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Limiting magazine capacity is a really dumb idea. Being a former resident of California (who went to limiting mag capacity to 10 rounds) I have seen how in-effective it has been. What is to keep criminal elements from purchasing high cap mags? Nothing. Pre-ban mags can been purchased very easily or people just purchase kits and build their own. Heck, I have a few friends that are mechanical engineers that have access to CNC Machines. They would have no problem building me a high cap mag if I asked. Gangs typically just have their buddies ship hi cap mags from other states in which they are legal (problem solved for the bad guys). Once again, only the lawful firearm owner gets screwed when limiting magazine capacity...

KIX

Funny that you mention that.....

I do a little bit of personal gunsmithing (thought of it as a career at one point). I took magazine apart (purchased during the high cap bans federally) and thought...... it really isn't going to take much to modify this and make it full capacity!

It really is a silly idea. But this douchebag in AZ used a high cap mag (as MSNBC says, 32 round) and now that's on the radar in many states.

You should read the "CT Assault Weapons" law...... VERY silly stuff there.

Jonathan

S

savana

For me this is completely a new stuff to read and I will be really looking into this. I have read this for the first time here as, this is my first post so probably I must look for more info.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

LOL, nice Troma reference. :p

Heh, thanks. It's one of those movies that never leaves your head (unfortunately). A group of us in college would have bad movie night every week or so. There are truly some terrible movies out there but they really must be seen. Another one to watch is Robo Vampire (use caution, watching this film may injure your brain)....

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

You should read the "CT Assault Weapons" law...... VERY silly stuff there.

Jonathan

I've been looking to get an AR-15 (I have a FNAR 7.62MM, but it's a little bit heavy) and have been reading up on the CT "Assault Weapons" law. Indeed, it is silly. I don't understand why a flash suppressor or the ability to attach a bayonet figures into one of your choices. The grenade launcher makes sense to me (although I have been in a situation that I really could have used one...that's a story for another time), but that's about it....

Rich B

The grenade launcher makes sense to me

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. When was the last time a state without this law had a grenade launcher attack? Where would you even obtain one? Is launching grenades the only use for a grenade launcher or do they also serve as a flare launcher?

I'm sorry, but these laws were written by people with absolutely no clue about what they are talking about.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. When was the last time a state without this law had a grenade launcher attack? Where would you even obtain one? Is launching grenades the only use for a grenade launcher or do they also serve as a flare launcher?

I'm sorry, but these laws were written by people with absolutely no clue about what they are talking about.

Touché on the point in regards to the grenade launcher (I wasn't thinking about the use of flares). I should have stated that banning the grenade launcher made a tiny bit more (but not much) sense than the other items, at least to me. To your point, where would you obtain RPG ordinance in the first place...

Last edited:

Rich B

Touché on the point in regards to the grenade launcher (I wasn't thinking about the use of flares). I should have stated that banning the grenade launcher made a tiny bit more (but not much) sense than the other items, at least to me. To your point, where would you obtain RPG ordinance in the first place...

Many of the items banned under the AWB in CT fall under the ridiculously ignorant banner of "what would you need that for?".

Need has nothing to do with it.