• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no silhouettes

H

Herr Heckler Koch

In the early days of the "civil rights movement" black silhouettes (B-27) were banned as racist. That led to Smurf silhouettes that are now a joke.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Put 8" paper plates up on the backer.

O
OOO
O
OO

Head, chest, torso, pelvis. Only you will know.:uhoh:

stay safe.

* Freaking lack of ability to get the circles in the right places. You can figure out how to move them to where they should be, right?

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

The NRA range near me I think allows silhouettes but doesn't allow anything that looks like a person - no faces, skeletons, zombies, etc. so I'd imagine they would nix a target that was drawn to look like a person too.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Michigander

In Michigan, quite a few are the same way. Many also prohibit rapid fire and shooting from the hip. In essence, you can't in any way practice like you mean it.

I, like SFCRetired, will not give idiots like that my money.

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

In Michigan, quite a few are the same way. Many also prohibit rapid fire and shooting from the hip. In essence, you can't in any way practice like you mean it.

I, like SFCRetired, will not give idiots like that my money.

This.

The DNR ranges are like that.

No Silhouetts.
No "Rapid Fire", which they define as more than 1 shot every 3 seconds, which basicly means you deliberately have to shoot slow, regardless of your ability.
No full auto.
No Tracers.
No .50 BMG.
No more than 6 rounds loaded at a time (It used to be single load only.).
No positions, benchrest only.
No movement.
Basicaly they only want Fudds zeroeing in their deer rifles.

The indoor ranges are better, but most still have restrictive rules like:

No Tracers.
No "Armor piercing", or steel core, or steel jacketed ammunition.
No "Rapid Fire" (Normaly defined as more than 1 shot a second, though most will waive this if you show ability.).
No Full Auto (Though some will if you ask.)
No drawing from a holster (Some will allow you to if you ask.).
No positions escept standing. (Some will if you ask.)
No Movement (To be fair, unless you reserve the whole range this is imposible anyway, and some will let you if you do just that, reserve the whole range.).

Even though some indoor ranges are more permisive than others, and many will make exceptions, most have some variation of those rules at least in this area, and some also prohibit rifles, or make you use only the grosely over priced range ammo.

There are other outdoor ranges, but all require an expensive membership, and some require you to be refered by existing members, or aren't excepting new members.

Southeast Michigan sucks in terms of ranges. To get decent practice in you will eighther need to shell out money, or go out of Southeast Michigan.

Jack House

The DNR ranges are like that.

1. No Silhouetts.
  2. No "Rapid Fire", which they define as more than 1 shot every 3 seconds, which basicly means you deliberately have to shoot slow, regardless of your ability.
  3. No full auto.
  4. No Tracers.
  5. No .50 BMG.
  6. No more than 6 rounds loaded at a time (It used to be single load only.).
  7. No positions, benchrest only.
  8. No movement.
  9. Basicaly they only want Fudds zeroeing in their deer rifles.
1. Retarded
2. Incredibly obnoxious, which is why I don't go to ranges.
3. Understandable, you don't want some knuckle head firing more gun than he can control on full auto. Still annoying.
4. Maybe they're worried about the tracers catching paper targets on fire and damaging the lines? Maybe there's grass down range? IDK
5. Can not comprehend. If it's an outdoor range, where is the harm?
6. This just seems asinine and another reason to avoid ranges.
7. Asinine.
8. Depending on the range, this is either annoying or understandable.

The indoor ranges are better, but most still have restrictive rules like:

1. No Tracers.
  2. No "Armor piercing", or steel core, or steel jacketed ammunition.
  3. No "Rapid Fire" (Normaly defined as more than 1 shot a second, though most will waive this if you show ability.).
  4. No Full Auto (Though some will if you ask.)
  5. No drawing from a holster (Some will allow you to if you ask.).
  6. No positions escept standing. (Some will if you ask.)
  7. No Movement (To be fair, unless you reserve the whole range this is imposible anyway, and some will let you if you do just that, reserve the whole range.).
1. Same as above? IDK, I'd really like to know the reasons for this rule.
2. Understandable as it would to increase maintenance costs and time. At least, that's how it would seem to me and I wouldn't blame them if that is in fact the case.
3. Same as above, I prefer to shoot on private private property for this reason and a few others.
4. Same as above.
5. Understandable, especially with the caveat that it's ok if you can prove you can do so without an ND.
6. I can understand this somewhat. It would be promblematic to go prone at the indoor range near me with a few exceptions. Crouching would be very awkward with the way the range is setup.
7. What you said.

Even though some indoor ranges are more permisive than others, and many will make exceptions, most have some variation of those rules at least in this area, and some also prohibit rifles, or make you use only the grosely over priced range ammo.

There are other outdoor ranges, but all require an expensive membership, and some require you to be refered by existing members, or aren't excepting new members.

Southeast Michigan sucks in terms of ranges. To get decent practice in you will eighther need to shell out money, or go out of Southeast Michigan.
Central Texas is the same way. You only have three options, 2 indoor ranges and one outdoor range. The indoor ranges are roughly $15 per-person, per-hour. The outdoor range is I can't remember, $12 per-person? Whatever the price is, it's for the whole day. I've never been there, so I don't know what the rules are like. All other ranges either are club or law enforcement ranges(though at least some agencies use private ranges).

Since I usually go shooting with friends, $15 per-person per-hour is out of the question. The rules also bug me. Sometimes I just want to piss away my ammo. :uhoh:

So usually I'll just go out to my friend's pecan orchard and shoot. So much more fun that way, plus I can take some beer and steak and have some BBQ afterwards then jump into the river that runs parallel with his property for a swim. Also, shooting tractors, tannerite and whatever else I deem worthy of destruction sure does beat shooting paper targets. :lol: