• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few more spots OC friendly

rmeebix

Steak and shake by tri county mall off 275

Bass pro shops off 275 near tri county.

Also the khols that is right next to bass pro shop.

Pretty much anywhere in brown county ;)

There are more places that I have gone to that have not said anything to me but these are the ones that I actually had a conversation with either the store manager or a staff member about me OCing and they had no problem with it.

Just trying to help everyone out with their mental lists. If anyone has more around the Cincy area please let
Me know, I am always trying to expand my list of places to not do buissness if they are not firearm friendly.

MyWifeSaidYes

And why did you strike up a conversation with these people if THEY didn't approach you first?

Wait 2 weeks and return to each of those locations to make sure they are still not posted.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I was informed yesterday that some manager at a Home Depot down south asked a customer who was open carrying to leave the store. The ruckus prompted corporate to require nation wide training of all employees that corporate policy is to comply with state law.

Apparently employees are not allowed to interfere with home depot's customer service motto: Can't find what you're looking for? Then strap on your gun and come on down, we'll help you find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

jacksm6

Hey all, I'm new to the forums and OCing in general. I live right by in the area and can add a few places to the list. Penn station on rt.4 right across from Jungle Jims, walgreens at the rt.4/bypass 4 intersection an meijers by Cincinnati Mills mall. Now I didn't talk with anyone specifically about it but I was definitely noticed by employees/management and never had anyone say anything to me. Seemed positive to me :)

joanie

I'm new to this discussion board as well, and to open carrying in general. Heres what I don't get. Why not just go in to a store or resturaunt, without your firearm, and check with the business first? Just flat out ask them, and make a list of the places that allow it. Lets find out where the owners or managers stand on this issue.

I know if it were up to me, thats to say if I was in charge of a bussiness, My main concern would be losing customers. So I would tell the OCers to get back to me in a week. Durring that week I would be taking surveys from my customers asking if they mind. My point being, it's one thing to exersize personal freedom, but Bussiness is out to make money, and if they stand to take a big loss from offended customers, parionoid as they are, not returning, then you can hardly blame them for not allowing guns in their store. And yes, we need to change minds on that. Maybe respectfully asking first is a good first step. At least it would have people talking about it.

The upside for me, going to a place I never been and have no plans to return to, Like Youngstown, is if I do get banned from the bussiness, it's not a major inconvience. Unless of corse it's a chain, and the ban extends to all their stores.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I'm new to this discussion board as well, and to open carrying in general. Heres what I don't get. Why not just go in to a store or resturaunt, without your firearm, and check with the business first? Just flat out ask them, and make a list of the places that allow it. Lets find out where the owners or managers stand on this issue.

I know if it were up to me, thats to say if I was in charge of a bussiness, My main concern would be losing customers. So I would tell the OCers to get back to me in a week. Durring that week I would be taking surveys from my customers asking if they mind. My point being, it's one thing to exersize personal freedom, but Bussiness is out to make money, and if they stand to take a big loss from offended customers, parionoid as they are, not returning, then you can hardly blame them for not allowing guns in their store. And yes, we need to change minds on that. Maybe respectfully asking first is a good first step. At least it would have people talking about it.

The upside for me, going to a place I never been and have no plans to return to, Like Youngstown, is if I do get banned from the bussiness, it's not a major inconvience. Unless of corse it's a chain, and the ban extends to all their stores.

You Are new here, So, welcome!
You are uneducated, so, learn.

Never Ask If the business will allow you you to carry a gun!
They will always decide that carry is against some new policy!

Never Ask for permission to carry in their business!
They will all most always say, No, it is forbiden by our new policy!

Do not look for signs against carry,
Carry as you always do,
go about your business, as you normally do, just like always.
If you are confronted about your carry, If you are told No carry allowed,
Say OK, leave you cart of goods, and leave, politely!

Contact the business owners by phone or email and voice your concerns, and the law.

Lots of folks on this forum will be Very helpful in the ways to comunicate with these folks, after the fact.

MyWifeSaidYes

Joanie-

Let me try to put what Defender said in different words...

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

If you think that business owners and managers out there are as reasonable and fair-minded as you are, you are quite mistaken.

Many times, a business does not think about guns unless 1 of 3 things happens:

1) They get robbed. This causes them to post a No Guns sign on their door. An emotional, ineffective, knee-jerk reaction.

2) Somebody asks them about carrying, either open or concealed. That causes them to post a No Guns sign so the issue doesn't come up in the future.

3) Somebody with an openly carried handgun comes into their shop, doesn't rob them and actually GIVES THEM MONEY when buying stuff.

Suffice it to say, item #3 causes a link to be formed in their brain between guns and money.

There is an item #3a. If the open carrier is asked to leave and doesn't, or argues while leaving. That caused the Wendy's on Busch Blvd. to post a No Guns sign.

So, no, it is not a good idea to ask first. You are doing a legal activity. If they do not have signage prohibiting that legal activity, why would you ask?

CornfedinOhio

Lets say you have a bumper sticker with political views expressed. Do you walk into the store and ask the owner if its OK to park in their parking lot. Maybe your political view isn't supported by the owner of the store. It is legal to have what ever bumper sticker you want. Even if your sticker supports things that hurt that business like unfair taxes, no job creation, destroying our bill of rights and weapons bans based on actions of the mentally ill.
Don't ask permission to follow the law.
Don't represent our freedoms in a negative way when confronted.
Respect their property rights if asked to leave.
Educate them on the law and our rights if they are willing to listen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eye95

I will be echoing some of the things said already, and disagreeing some.

NEVER ask if carry is allowed. You will only motivate a policy against carry to be set. You will not cause any movement in the other direction.

Follow ALL signs. It is the law in Ohio, and not doing so will provide stories that cast carry in a bad light when you get jacked up for carrying where the owner has posted a sign against it.

Carry everywhere that the law or signs do not prohibit. Leave when asked to do so--immediately, even if that means leaving an unfinished and unpaid meal or a cart full of perishable groceries.

The normalization of carry will be the result of carry where allowed becoming more and more prevalent, so just carry and don't make an issue of it. Let the hoplophobes feel the need to turn it into an issue, and then you react rationally.

This takes time, but has proven to be the only effective course of action.

JoshJeh

I can tell you that Bass Pro off I-275 is NOT OC friendly. I went in with my dad to look at buying a new shotgun (with my Sig on my hip) and the old guy at the gun counter looked at me and told me that carrying openly is "against their rules". I politely thanked him for telling me and asked if I should go put it in the car. He just looked at me and walked away. I started to walk out of the store with my dad and the store manager found me and made a scene about how I'm not supposed to OC in there and how it detracts from the family type atmosphere. He walked me over to get a trigger lock put on my gun. My dad has his CCW and I do not, so I handed him my gun and we walked out. Never going back to any Bass Pro ever again. No signs, rules, or notifications about it were posted.

eye95

Call corporate. Either policy changed or the manager does not know BPS policy. We had a similar incident in the BPS in Prattville, AL. The manager learned from corporate that OC is allowed in BPS. However, if a customer is going to be unholstering his firearm for any reason, then it must be checked in, unloaded, and disabled.

If you are OCing with no intention to touch the firearm, they follow State law. If you are going to be trying holsters or other accessories to find if they work with your firearm, then that is a different story. After the Prattville manager was slapped down, we scheduled a few OC shopping trips and lunches to drive the point home.

Unless policy changed, BPS allows OC where State law does.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can tell you that Bass Pro off I-275 is NOT OC friendly. I went in with my dad to look at buying a new shotgun (with my Sig on my hip) and the old guy at the gun counter looked at me and told me that carrying openly is "against their rules". I politely thanked him for telling me and asked if I should go put it in the car. He just looked at me and walked away. I started to walk out of the store with my dad and the store manager found me and made a scene about how I'm not supposed to OC in there and how it detracts from the family type atmosphere. He walked me over to get a trigger lock put on my gun. My dad has his CCW and I do not, so I handed him my gun and we walked out. Never going back to any Bass Pro ever again. No signs, rules, or notifications about it were posted.

Better to go up the corporate food chain and get this straightened out, than to roll over and play dead. We educate and motivate, not capitulate.

joanie

Point taken. Theres alot to consider I guess when open carrying. I used to open carry years ago, off and on and only while camping, fishing or going to the target range. Nothing much was said about it but that was then, early 90s. More recently my BIL, who has his concealed permit, open carried while him and my sister was moving into an apartment. I went to see their new place and police were called out. he was told by the cop to conceal it as he didn't want to keep getting calls. Well my BIL made a big stink about it to the cop, and grumbled about it afterward until I had to leave. They no longer live there. I'd almost bet the apartment complex now has a no gun policy.

Ok, don't ask. I'll only carry in places I don't mind being banned from though. Theres one advantage in going to Youngstown for me then, just because I don't live there. Here I'll have to be more selective where I open carry.

One other question, should I get a ccw permit? Would it protect me in any way if I open carry often?, or will it somehow work against me?

Last edited:

Brian D.

One other question, should I get a ccw permit? Would it protect me in any way if I open carry often?, or will it somehow work against me?

I'd recommend the license, if for no other reason than Ohio's laws regarding the transport of firearms (especially loaded ones) in a motor vehicle. Don't know how many times you get in and out of a car during any given day, but many of the OC'ers in this state go ahead and get the license just to take some of the time-consuming hassle out of their daily routine. (Don't take my word for that, maybe we can get a few of the forum regulars here to chime in, since I'm most often a concealed carrier.) Perhaps more importantly, if one is attacked while inside their vehicle while stopped at a red light or whatever, an empty gun is kinda...useless, at least until the person can get it loaded.

Hareuhal

I'd almost bet the apartment complex now has a no gun policy.

Doesn't matter if they do. Ohio law prohibits landlords from prohibiting tenants or their guests from carrying firearms on the property.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by joanie

I'd almost bet the apartment complex now has a no gun policy.
Doesn't matter if they do. Ohio law prohibits landlords from prohibiting tenants or their guests from carrying firearms on the property.

Cite please.

eye95

That law is as it should be. I'm big on property rights. Stores are free to post their gunbuster signs, and I am more than happy to respect that. But when someone's home is leased from another, it becomes their home in which they enjoy all of their rights: speech, religion, association, self-defense, etc.

I have no idea whether my landlord likes it, but I have as many firearms in this apartment as I have rooms, including the bathroom.

eye95

Cite please.

ORC 2923.126 includes the following:

(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

joanie

Thats good to know. I assume the same would be true of trailer parks, condos, seinior citizen homes, and camp sites? I should check into getting my ccw, not sure how long it takes, or what all I have to do. It would be nice to not worry about if I'm carrying it right, or will the police consider it concealed if they are standing on the wrong side of me and not see it. Also would be nice to cover up with a jacket or coat in bad weather and not having the firearm exposed to rain.

Hareuhal

ORC 2923.126 includes the following:

(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

Thanks for the cite. I am on my phone and pulling up the ORC is annoying when not on a computer.