• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his truck

OC for ME

I heard about this on the radio. I hope cooler heads prevail and the student is not punished beyond what he has endured to date. It will be good to have this incident expunged from all of his permanent records.

TFred

This story is going viral. In about 5 hours, his Facebook support page has grown from 6,400 members, to over 8,500. Some dude is clicking "confirm" just about as fast as he can.

Kid was overheard on the phone with his mom asking her to come get the truck with the unloaded shotgun, forgotten from a weekend camping trip with skeet shooting.

Mass hypocrisy at play, because two years ago, a school administrator left a LOADED handgun in her car while students in auto shop were working on it. Students found gun and then hid it out of sight. Administrator not punished AT ALL.

We need someone like the SAF to get involved. This is a perfect case to review gun laws that do not require malicious intent to turn someone into a felon.

TFred

eye95

Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his

I hope that some college looks at his record and says that they don't care whether or not he has a piece of paper from a high school, that they will accept him anyway and will give him a full ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

TFred

Falwell said “common sense” should have prevailed in Withrow’s case. “I think they were just trying to make a point that guns are evil,” he explained. “Our society is just going too far.”

Before it was understood that Withrow would be able to graduate by completing an alternative schooling program, Liberty University was also offering to let him wrap-up his high school requirements through their online academy.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ed-for-accidentally-leaving-gun-in-his-truck/
A nice idea, but if they don't stop the prosecution, this kid could be a felon, spending his next few years in PRISON, not class.

TFred

eye95

eye95

Is that a rule? I read the rules...I did not see that...

Anyone who does not know the answer to that question, well, their ignorance is monumental. Your response also indicates a woeful lack of reading prowess (or an intentional misreading, neither of which speaks well of you). When one writes of what "should" be done, he is not necessarily (and almost never) citing a rule. He is almost always stating a preference.

Again you demonstrate why rational people should not lend any credence to anything you write. Moving on.

On edit: I notice that I used the word "should" in the next to last sentence. For the reading-impaired, I should point out that the word does not indicate that a rule exists. Dang, I did it again.

Last edited:

ldsgeek

I hope that some college looks at his record and says that they don't care whether or not he has a piece of paper from a high school, that they will accept him anyway and will give him a full ride.

<o>

He got a full boat scholarship from Liberty University, one he wanted to go to but couldn't afford. If the criminal charges are dropped I'd say this is a win all around for him, and another black eye for "zero tolerance" policies everywhere.

protias

He got a full boat scholarship from Liberty University, one he wanted to go to but couldn't afford. If the criminal charges are dropped I'd say this is a win all around for him, and another black eye for "zero tolerance" policies everywhere.

And hopefully it can move even further forward and we can get rid of this stupid GFSZ all together!

TFred

Everyone keeps saying that, but everyone seems to forget that this young man is facing a FELONY charge, so your "if" is a HUGE "IF". He will be spending this fall either at Liberty University, OR in PRISON. The LU scholarship was a very nice thing, no doubt... but it is distracting everyone from the much more important issue at hand, the fact that these gun-grabbing liberals have every intent to turn this Eagle Scout into a CRIMINAL. You watch, they will offer him a plea down to a "misdemeanor" of some sort, which would leave him with a criminal record for the rest of his life. It's how they roll.

They only seem to trip up Good Guys. They never stop the bad guys. Never convince a progressive of that though.
Of course you won't, because progressives view ALL private gun owners as "bad guys". They see how the GFSZA works and don't have a problem with it. It works exactly as they intended for it to work.

It is one of the most heinous and offensive laws on the books in the entire United States. It needs to go.

TFred

ron73440

Zero Tolerance is just an excuse for the administration not to use common sense and discretion, because with discretion you need to be able to articulate why a certain decision was made.

It's much easier for the principal to just say "there is nothing we can do, we have a zero tolerance policy."

These kind of situations make me really concerned for our future, we have given them so much power, even when it makes no sense.

SFCRetired

What got my attention was the fact that school staff have brought loaded handguns on school property and have only been suspended for a short period and with no criminal charges. Yet here is a very bright student and an Eagle Scout who makes an honest mistake, tries to correct the mistake, and is both expelled and charged with a felony.

The message I get out of this is, "There is one law for you sheep (students in this case) and a separate law for the ruling elite (school personnel).

If the prosecutor in this case has the common sense (which the school administration does not have) to do the right thing, he/she will drop all charges and petition the court to expunge the arrest record.

Personal opinion: Zero Tolerance equates to Zero Sanity.

davidmcbeth

Banned
For the reading-impaired, I should point out that the word does not indicate that a rule exists. Dang, I did it again.

Well, I don't think that YOU write the rules of the forum ... I'm sure that you are a legend , in you own mind

And since I actually agree with most of your postings (not the acrid manner of how you post but the basic premise of what you say) then it appears as if you are saying that folks should not pay attention to anything you say either.

Ka-POW !

Its too logical, Captain, for this life form to comprehend.

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/student-expelled-charged-felony-tried-thing-forgot-shotgun-154224579.html

Talk about terrible laws! 30-40 years ago, people had shotguns in their unlocked trucks in the school parking lots and we didn't have problems.

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/layout/default.php?sectionid=661&url_redirect=1

See their website .... "building a community of excellence, one student at a time"

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/club/club.php?sectionid=14670&
And they have a hunter safety team ???? !!!!!

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/club/club.php?sectionid=5213&
How can they have a "christian" club????
Listed below is a portion or the FCA's competitor's Creed

*I am a Christian first and last.
*I am created in the likeness of God almighty to bring him glory.
*I wear the colors of the cross.
*I am a Christian competitor and as such I face my challenger with the face of Christ.
*My body is the temple of Jesus Christ. I protect it from within and without. Nothing enters my body that does not honor the Living God.
*I give my all - all of the time. I do not give up. I do not give in. I do not give out.

Please see club information for meeting dates and times.
God Bless You,
Michael Price
Bruce Proctor

They are beggging for people to be messing with their school.

eye95

Student expelled, charged with a felony after he forgot his shotgun was in his

Since he chose not to quote the whole post, which hid his post being a complete non-sequitur, I will post the full quote of my post, followed by his. As I have moved on, I will add nothing new and just let the two full and unedited [save for some added bolding] posts stand side-by-side:

Anyone who does not know the answer to that question, well, their ignorance is monumental. Your response also indicates a woeful lack of reading prowess (or an intentional misreading, neither of which speaks well of you). When one writes of what "should" be done, he is not necessarily (and almost never) citing a rule. He is almost always stating a preference.

Again you demonstrate why rational people should not lend any credence to anything you write. Moving on.

On edit: I notice that I used the word "should" in the next to last sentence. For the reading-impaired, I should point out that the word does not indicate that a rule exists. Dang, I did it again.

Well, I don't think that YOU write the rules of the forum ... I'm sure that you are a legend , in you own mind

And since I actually agree with most of your postings (not the acrid manner of how you post but the basic premise of what you say) then it appears as if you are saying that folks should not pay attention to anything you say either.

Ka-POW !

Its too logical, Captain, for this life form to comprehend.

<o>

mikeyb

What got my attention was the fact that school staff have brought loaded handguns on school property and have only been suspended for a short period and with no criminal charges. Yet here is a very bright student and an Eagle Scout who makes an honest mistake, tries to correct the mistake, and is both expelled and charged with a felony.

The message I get out of this is, "There is one law for you sheep (students in this case) and a separate law for the ruling elite (school personnel).

If the prosecutor in this case has the common sense (which the school administration does not have) to do the right thing, he/she will drop all charges and petition the court to expunge the arrest record.

Personal opinion: Zero Tolerance equates to Zero Sanity.

Someone done goofed when writing the law. Previous idiots should have been charged & convicted of a felony, the felony/misdemeanor distinction is somewhat ridiculous.

But the real question, which I haven't seen answered: Was the shotgun unloaded and in a locked container (rack or cab of truck)? If so, no crime was committed.