• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland gun buy back

Jordysoso

Date is Saturday June 15,2013 at public safety central located at 2100 Payne Avenue. They are offering $100 Target or gas gift cards for handguns, $200 target or gas gift cards for semi auto rifles (AR's); pending on if they are operable. They will also be giving a pair of Lake Erie monsters and cavs tickets. Other guns can be turned in (ie bolt action, lever action, shotguns,etc.) but no incentives will be given. Ill be out in front with cash stopping people from getting them melted down. Who else will be there?

NEOOpenCarry

I don't want to commit yet, but we are meeting in two weeks to set a date for our Cleveland OC walk, and I will definitely bring this date up as a possibility. I'm sure some of our members would be willing to pick up a few guns to keep them from getting melted. I will let you know.

Hareuhal

Funny I was just wondering when ours would be....this gives me some time to save up for it!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

eye95

I don't want to commit yet, but we are meeting in two weeks to set a date for our Cleveland OC walk, and I will definitely bring this date up as a possibility. I'm sure some of our members would be willing to pick up a few guns to keep them from getting melted. I will let you know.

Excellent idea! If I am off that day, I will participate in the walk. Maybe I can pick up a nice bargain in the process!

On edit: Be careful, though, of city officials grabbing your OCed firearm and replacing it with a gift card!

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Be aware, the CPD can (will) threaten you with charges if you "interfere" with their "buyback".

Last edited:

Jordysoso

I'm definitely interested in a Cleveland OC walk! Also, bb62 wouldn't it be unlawful to interfere with us saving the guns if we are on public property? It's a private party transfer and also ill be running the serial numbers of any guns I come across to buy. Having the walk on the same day as the buyback would be a good "coincidence" :p

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm definitely interested in a Cleveland OC walk! Also, bb62 wouldn't it be unlawful to interfere with us saving the guns if we are on public property? It's a private party transfer and also ill be running the serial numbers of any guns I come across to buy. Having the walk on the same day as the buyback would be a good "coincidence" :p
Oh, they won't necessarily do it directly... "You have a vendor's license? I thought not. Move on please."

My point is that I can almost guarantee you that they will mess with you. You have to decide what to do when it happens.

And YES, I love the idea of an OC walk coinciding with the "buyback". I go back to suggestions I've made elsewhere, though - get their policies for handling open carriers via a records request ahead of time. They may or may not hassle a group OCing - but remember, this is the city that fought the notion that preemption applied to them!

Alternately, because I think that OC group walks, unless they're in reaction to something, or celebrate an occasion, don't necessarily accomplish anything as far as establishing the acceptability of OCing without interference.

Last edited:

joanie

I would'nt mind going to a buyback, or dissarming event just to videotape and make fun of the whole process. Maybe bring with me a gun values guide and show those in line just how much their being ripped off. I agree that they wouldn't like it, and probibly would do what they could maybe even stepping over the line, to undermind the, umm, saving or rescue of these guns. They play on fears of guns stollen from homes and used in crimes. I really don't like that. So there will likely be those who have really nice guns and want to see them destroyed, even without any compinsation.

I currently am saving up for a piticular rifle and doubt very much such a rifle would be turned in at one of these. Even if that was not the case, the guns I would be interested in are most likely owned by those who know exactly what they are worth.

If one of these quote "buybacks" happends to take place in central ohio, I hope to find out about it in time. I don't watch TV or read the paper, so it would just about have to be posted in here for me to even be aware of it. But again, I'd only go to undermind the whole process and convince people to keep their guns. Not to purchase any.

Alternately, because I think that OC group walks, unless they're in reaction to something, or celebrate an occasion, don't necessarily accomplish anything as far as establishing the acceptability of OCing without interference.

People who see it and are not anti gun and offended by the sight, might be thinking that they would like to do likewise, or get into guns, or get interested in learning their rights. It might even spread to the 4th amendment at airports, the 1st on the internet and other places. Also, if it makes the police less bad (I won't endorse the notion of any good cops) so much the better.

The more large group OCing events, the better. This will pave the way, for a day, when those can do so by themselves without any problems. People need to see this often. See that this isn't going to turn into mass rioting in the streets, looting, violent crime, ect.

I've heard people here say that they open carry as a deterent to crime, that the gun be seen and would serve as a preventive measure. Well, why should we wait for someone to get unjustly arrested or similar before we open carry in that area? Granted, preventive OC walks or events would never show what all they prevented, but I like the idea of not having to be outraged by so many stories of such injustices.

Call it reverse condisioning. The TV, news media, all condision the people to believe guns are evil and shouldn't be in the hands of anyone but military and police. Lets undermind those efforts.

NEOOpenCarry

How hard would it be to get a vendors license there? I have no idea of the process. How funny would that be though? Officer: "Sir unless you have a vendors license, move on!" Me: "I do infact have a vendors license sir. Who wants an extra 50 bucks for their gun??" As the line completely shifts over to me ;-)

eye95

A vendor is a seller. I'd be buying.

Just do the OC walk carrying a sign saying that you are in the market for a gun. If a private sale happens to spring up on the spot, so be it.

Jordysoso

First off there is power in numbers. I doubt they will make 30+ people leave. And to be a vendor you have to be selling something. I'd be buying for personal use, not resale. If the cops think I have intent to resale, it won't matter because they cannot prove it. But nonetheless I'm excited for the walk and buy back

Jordysoso

Have multiple video cameras going and a lawyer on standby if you can, maybe contact a pro-gun lawyer and invite him to come along.

I plan on trying to bring a few sheriffs. I know a few that would love to go to this. But a lawyer present is a good idea too.

Pecker

A vendor is a seller. I'd be buying.

Just do the OC walk carrying a sign saying that you are in the market for a gun. If a private sale happens to spring up on the spot, so be it.

Yes, I read the Cleveland ordinances on "vendors licenses" and it by definition only applies to people selling or bartering wares. It has no provisions to deal with those specifically purchasing. It's an item definitely in our favor. I searched the entire code for key words such as "solicit" and the only applicable item came for this vendor license section. It doesn't apply to purchasing.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Ohio/cleveland_oh/cityofclevelandohiocodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:cleveland_oh

JediSkipdogg

The next thing Cleveland will do is say you are soliciting. And without case law, it could be an issue....

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Ohio/cleveland_oh/partsixoffensesandbusinessactivitiescode/titleigeneraloffenses/chapter605-disorderlyconductandactivity?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0#JD_605.031

“Solicit” or “soliciting” means to request an immediate donation of money or other thing of value from another person, regardless of the solicitor’s purpose or intended use of the money or other thing of value. The solicitation may be, without limitation, by the spoken, written, or printed word, by gesture or by other means of communication.

You are requesting and "other thing of value" therefore you are soliciting. Now, you can only be guilty if you do it....

(1) In an aggressive manner;
(2) Within twenty (20) feet of any automated-teller machine without the consent of the owner or other person legally in possession of the machine, provided, however, that when an automated- teller machine is located within an automated-teller machine facility, the distance shall be measured from the entrance or exit of the automated-teller machine facility;
(3) Within twenty (20) feet of a bus stop, rapid-transit shelter, or bus shelter;
(4) Within twenty (20) feet of a line of pedestrians waiting to obtain access to a building or event;
(5) Within twenty (20) feet of the area of the sidewalk used by an outdoor restaurant under a temporary public right-of-way occupancy permit issued under Chapter 513 of the Codified Ordinances or by a vendor under a permit issued under Chapter 508, Section 675.06, or Section 675.07 of the Codified Ordinances;
(6) Within twenty (20) feet of a valet zone established under Section 451.33 of the Codified Ordinances;
(7) Within fifteen (15) feet of any pay telephone, provided, however, that when a pay telephone is located within a telephone booth or other facility, the distance shall be measured from the entrance or exit of the telephone booth or facility;
(8) Within fifteen (15) feet of the entrance or exit of any public toilet facility;
(9) On public property within ten (10) feet of an entrance to a building;
(10) On public property within ten (10) feet of an entrance to a parking lot;
(11) On a public street, by intentionally or recklessly blocking the safe or free passage of a person or vehicle.

I hope #1 doesn't apply to anyone. Basically, if the person say no, walk away from them and you are clear of #1. The rest, just follow those and you'll be safe as well.

As far as I can tell, they don't have a general no solicitation at all ordinance. It's simply you can't do it in those locations.

NEOOpenCarry

The next thing Cleveland will do is say you are soliciting. And without case law, it could be an issue....

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Ohio/cleveland_oh/partsixoffensesandbusinessactivitiescode/titleigeneraloffenses/chapter605-disorderlyconductandactivity?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0#JD_605.031

“Solicit” or “soliciting” means to request an immediate donation of money or other thing of value from another person, regardless of the solicitor’s purpose or intended use of the money or other thing of value. The solicitation may be, without limitation, by the spoken, written, or printed word, by gesture or by other means of communication.

You are requesting and "other thing of value" therefore you are soliciting. Now, you can only be guilty if you do it....

(1) In an aggressive manner;
(2) Within twenty (20) feet of any automated-teller machine without the consent of the owner or other person legally in possession of the machine, provided, however, that when an automated- teller machine is located within an automated-teller machine facility, the distance shall be measured from the entrance or exit of the automated-teller machine facility;
(3) Within twenty (20) feet of a bus stop, rapid-transit shelter, or bus shelter;
(4) Within twenty (20) feet of a line of pedestrians waiting to obtain access to a building or event;
(5) Within twenty (20) feet of the area of the sidewalk used by an outdoor restaurant under a temporary public right-of-way occupancy permit issued under Chapter 513 of the Codified Ordinances or by a vendor under a permit issued under Chapter 508, Section 675.06, or Section 675.07 of the Codified Ordinances;
(6) Within twenty (20) feet of a valet zone established under Section 451.33 of the Codified Ordinances;
(7) Within fifteen (15) feet of any pay telephone, provided, however, that when a pay telephone is located within a telephone booth or other facility, the distance shall be measured from the entrance or exit of the telephone booth or facility;
(8) Within fifteen (15) feet of the entrance or exit of any public toilet facility;
(9) On public property within ten (10) feet of an entrance to a building;
(10) On public property within ten (10) feet of an entrance to a parking lot;
(11) On a public street, by intentionally or recklessly blocking the safe or free passage of a person or vehicle.

I hope #1 doesn't apply to anyone. Basically, if the person say no, walk away from them and you are clear of #1. The rest, just follow those and you'll be safe as well.

As far as I can tell, they don't have a general no solicitation at all ordinance. It's simply you can't do it in those locations.

It looks like this only applies to people who are asking for a "donation" of money or other things of value. We would be offering to pay for any valuable or service we receive. This more applies to people begging on street corners and what not. It says nothing about paying for those services or goods.

eye95

I don't think you can.

I'll have my iPad. I'll say, "Just let me run the numbers. Oh, can I have your ID?" If something is up with the gun, I expect the seller to run and get his gift card. If not, I will end my bluff on running the numbers, record the identifying information of the seller, complete the transaction, and then ask the police to run the numbers. If something nefarious comes up, I'll share the ID of the seller and forfeit the gun.

Anyone have a better idea? Or want to poke holes in mine? Or add to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

skeith5

Eye,

I went to the Seattle gun buyback with a stack of bills of sale. Never used a single one. Everyone was in a hurry, I went off my gut feeling about the person. I turned only 1 guy away who gave me an uneasy feeling. Most of the people and guns being turned in didn't fit the demographics to be worried about.