• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are there times when not carrying is ok?

PT111

Someone posted on another board how do you carry when in your backyard swimming poll. Do you attach it to your swim fins or to the bottom of your float or kickboard. A full size 1911 will tend to weigh you down a little while making swan dives off your diving board. Also probably handicap you when trying to get back up for air after grabbing those little things they throw in the bottom of the pool.

PT111

Several years ago on one board a fellow was asking for advise about what heppened to him. It seems that he got up in the middle of the night to answer a call of nature. The first thing he did was try to grab his gun from the night stand and put it on. However he had left his clothes where when he tried to get his gun he got tangled up in his clothes and fell. His gon did not go off but he did hit his head on the dresser and wound up in the ER. It seems that he was trying to fasten the belt rather than turning on any lights and watching what he was doing. He was in a hurry but wanted to be sure that he had his gun because he lived in sort of a dangerous neighborhood and never could tell when someone might come beating down his door.

protias

Several years ago on one board a fellow was asking for advise about what heppened to him. It seems that he got up in the middle of the night to answer a call of nature. The first thing he did was try to grab his gun from the night stand and put it on. However he had left his clothes where when he tried to get his gun he got tangled up in his clothes and fell. His gon did not go off but he did hit his head on the dresser and wound up in the ER. It seems that he was trying to fasten the belt rather than turning on any lights and watching what he was doing. He was in a hurry but wanted to be sure that he had his gun because he lived in sort of a dangerous neighborhood and never could tell when someone might come beating down his door.
That's why you have them all over the place. ;)

Motofixxer

He was in a hurry but wanted to be sure that he had his gun because he lived in sort of a dangerous neighborhood and never could tell when someone might come beating down his door.

Yep I can imagine living in a bad area, getting up in the middle of the night to answer Mother Nature. And someone comes beating down the door and you have the wrong gun in your hand. :D That could be bad!

MKEgal

This thread is perfect for April 1st...
too bad some anti with no sense of humour is liable to take it as gospel proof of how we're all complete lunatics.

(Not the "how to protect your gun against water while on a boat" part, but most of the rest.)
I just thought of something - since the law currently prohibits carrying a loaded, uncased pistol on a motorboat, I should be perfectly legal on my kayak, right? :confused:
(Not that I'd want to take the risk of losing my remaining pistol in the lake, mind you.
But I could do it.)

civilwarguy

This thread is perfect for April 1st...
too bad some anti with no sense of humour is liable to take it as gospel proof of how we're all complete lunatics.

(Not the "how to protect your gun against water while on a boat" part, but most of the rest.)
I just thought of something - since the law currently prohibits carrying a loaded, uncased pistol on a motorboat, I should be perfectly legal on my kayak, right? :confused:
(Not that I'd want to take the risk of losing my remaining pistol in the lake, mind you.
But I could do it.)

funny you mention this as i was just wondering this the other day. We use a canoe when we trap up north and i was trying to figure out if i have to unload and encase whenever i get in the canoe (also trying to decide if i want to risk the gun falling in the water)

phred

funny you mention this as i was just wondering this the other day. We use a canoe when we trap up north and i was trying to figure out if i have to unload and encase whenever i get in the canoe (also trying to decide if i want to risk the gun falling in the water)

As long as you are not using a motor, you should be ok.

And you are not within 1000 ft of a school property, or you don't launch the canoe from a state park, or it's in a fish hatchery or you are operating under a class B liquor license.
Make sure you have a good retention holster. Or, do those plastic guns float? :lol:

civilwarguy

As long as you are not using a motor, you should be ok.

And you are not within 1000 ft of a school property, or you don't launch the canoe from a state park, or it's in a fish hatchery or you are operating under a class B liquor license.
Make sure you have a good retention holster. Or, do those plastic guns float? :lol:

i have a good retention hoster and i dont know if they will float nor do i want to test it.

civilwarguy

Maybe if you filled the little hollow points with styrofoam the gun will float. ;)

Of course, if you lose the gun in a canoe capsize, they won't be able to take it away from you.

you can test first if it works let me know:)

theoicarry

When not to carry 0ne lesson learned

This thread must apply to me today. We were headed our for a short ride and filling my wife's explorer with gas for this week. I put my magazines on my belt, put my 40 cal in the zipper case set it on the kitchen table. The wife said it would be a few minutes until she was ready, so why don't I walk down the driveway and get the shopper stopper paper. My Golden retriever and I head out the door and I looked back and saw my gun on the table, and thought, I just put it in the case, What could happen at the end of the driveway only 300 feet from the house.
Well! I looked out in my field by the house at the end of the drive and there walking 25 yards from me is one of the black coyotes I have been trying to shoot the past year. There is a pair and have been really bold since last summer. I talked to the DNR and they figure the black ones could be a mix between wild dogs and that is the reason for them being bold. Anyway I missed my one and probably only opportunity to take it. It probably doesn't matter, I more than likely would have missed anyway.
Oh Well!

VW_Factor

I don't "sleep with my gun", but it is within arm's reach on the dresser each night after I cover up.

+1

There could be a whole new market though, for ... Wait for it.....

PJ's with integrated holsters!

>.<

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

My 1911 comes to bed with me.

You guys cant tell me I am the only one that sleeps with a gun.

LR Yote

This is my rifle, this is my... oh never mind.

Is it wrong?

And on a side note. The last time I did not carry I was challenged to a joust by a Ninja Team riding a juvenile Allosaurus. They painted the beast red for some inexplicable reason. Boy I sure hope that never happens again. (The jousting part not the painting of giant lizards part, which can be quite fun at Festival)

(Opps! Not to be confused with painting lizard's giant parts! That just pisses them off...)

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

The only time it is not ok to carry is when it is not legal to do so..

This question got me to thinking...about when NOT to carrry and my thoughts are stated above... In going through the thought process, I have made a decision based on my reply to the question...

I have decided to include in my will that I wish to be buried with my fully loaded holstered weapon on my hip... now I only have to decide which weapon... the XD 40 or the Judge....

Outdoorsman1