• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Questions - Newbie

bh2win

I spend most of my time in the cities of Fairfax and Alexandria, I recently just purchased a .357 Ruger GP100 as my Open Carry weapon. As I was Google searching the OC laws for Virginia I found this statute (I underlined the parts I have questions about):

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in
public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-
that expels single or multiple automatic center-fire rifle or pistol
projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and
is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will
hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the
manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a foldgazine that will hold more than ing stock or (b) shotgun with a ma
seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered
on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk,
public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of
the public in the Cities of Alexan- whatever nature that is open to
Church, Newport News, Norfolk, dria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls
the Counties of Arlington, Fair- Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in
fax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement
ds, military personnel in the per- officers, licensed security guar
formance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful
hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established
shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

My questions are:

1. Local Governments in Alexandria have restricted open carry unless you have a CHP?
2. Local Governments in Fairfax have restricted open carry unless you have a CHP?
3. I literally cannot walk down the street to my neighbors house with my gun on my hip in either Alexandria or Virginia?

I'm hoping someone can explain this statute a little more clearly because I know Virginia allows OC - I just don't want to get in trouble.

hunter45

My questions are:

1. Local Governments in Alexandria have restricted open carry unless you have a CHP?
2. Local Governments in Fairfax have restricted open carry unless you have a CHP?
3. I literally cannot walk down the street to my neighbors house with my gun on my hip in either Alexandria or Virginia?

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes, you can.

ocholsteroc

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in
public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-
that expels single or multiple automatic center-fire rifle or pistol
projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and
is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will
hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the
manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a foldgazine that will hold more than ing stock or (b) shotgun with a ma
seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered
on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk,
public right-of-way, or in any public park
or any other place of
the public in the Cities of Alexan- whatever nature that is open to
Church, Newport News, Norfolk, dria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls
the Counties of Arlington, Fair- Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in
fax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement
ds, military personnel in the per- officers, licensed security guar
formance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful
hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established
shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Read carefully

Meaning if you carry a Glock with a 33round magazine you are in violation
same with the rest of it, IE the silenerce.

Last edited:

TFred

See the important parts of this law, bolded below.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) [semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol] that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is [equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition] or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.​

Your GP-100 is neither a semi-automatic, nor can it hold anywhere near 20 rounds of ammunition.

TFred

ETA: Oops, typed too slow!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Read carefully

Meaning if you carry a Glock with a 33round magazine you are in violation
same with the rest of it

Unless you have a CHP - then you are legal.

"The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit ......"

bh2win

Thank God, you guy's are amazing and knowledgeable. Thank you for your swift responses.

Puts my mind to rest knowing I can legally OC. Thanks again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank God, you guy's are amazing and knowledgeable. Thank you for your swift responses.

Puts my mind to rest knowing I can legally OC. Thanks again.

Check the Virginia forum regularly and you will see meet 'n greets frequently planned.
Come on out and sit and chat a spell. More good info available on a first hand basis and lots of friendly people from all walks of life.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
My questions are:

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes, you can.

3. If your neighbor is ok with it. Personal Property rights are also important.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
By the way bh2win, welcome to this board and the fraternity of OCers. (Should I also add the sorority of OCers? We do have a number of distaff members!)

scouser

We have a May date available and we just added a July date.

This week we'll probably add 1 or 2 more dates for the rest of the year.

ok thanks .. the May date didn't work for me, already had to cancel for that one because of conflicting arrangements. Hopefully July will be convenient for me

TFred

3. If your neighbor is ok with it. Personal Property rights are also important.

He can walk down the street all he wants, whether his neighbor is OK with it or not.
Depends on what the OP meant by "to my neighbor's house". If he meant "on the sidewalk up to the boundary of my neighbors property", then hunter45's response is correct. If he meant "onto the property of my neighbor", then ed's response is correct.

Let's just hope another horse will not be dead by the time this thread is done! :lol:

TFred

bh2win

By the way bh2win, welcome to this board and the fraternity of OCers. (Should I also add the sorority of OCers? We do have a number of distaff members!)

Thank you good sir. This forum's reputation of friendly exceeds all expectations in kindness and information.

And thanks for posting the classes ProShooter.