• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Capital police officer discharges firearm inside the governor's mansion

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

This is what I say every time I hear one of these stories! The correct word is negligent. Every negligent discharge can be prevented simply by following the four basic rules of firearm safety. Of course we know that the police are the only ones qualified enough to handle a gun safely....

humy9ete.jpg

http://youtu.be/trlPcDg-B4E

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What!?! You guys now have big-letter cops?

Or, do you mean a police officer assigned to the seat of government?

As in capitol police. :p:)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They prefer "Police" to "police" anyway. It's one of those little trips they enjoy each day.

Old Grump

First few times I heard the news teaser it sounded like they said a fatal gun shot in the governors residence but nobody was hurt and a man was out of a job. Just another rookie making a rookie mistake taking a gun out of his holster when and where he should not have taken it out. Why do new gun carriers always have to touch it and take it out to look at it, that's what ranges are for. Don't know what the lad is going to do now but I'm thinking police or armed security work is out of the job equation.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't know, but I'm sure that when they discharged the cop it was intentional!

OK, that's got to be at least five points for that play on words. Very good. :)

And it suggests a few playful questions:

Where is the trigger on a cop? How do you rack his slide?

Or, does he have a cylinder that just goes around and around and...

If he is a revolver cop, how hard to you have to whack his ejector rod to get...? (Oh, that should get some comments. Keep it clean, guys!)

If he is an autoloader, it would be really handy to know: how do you engage his safety? :)

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Do enough of anything, and you will make a mistake.

While not what happened in this case, there is randomness in the universe. If you do something enough times, random events will conspire in ways for things to go wrong.

Most people who have played/taught/competed with firearms for decades, in a serious way, can tell you a story or two about an unintentional discharge.

I had one when I was 14. I had purchased a cheap beater shotgun for $20, the first gun that I bought. The safety did not work, so I fixed it. During testing without a cartridge in the chamber it worked just fine.

I went outside to test fire the shotgun. Before I shot it at a target, I pointed it at the ground and thought "I should check that safety one more time." I pressed the trigger, and no one was more surprised than I when the gun went off.

Unintended discharge? Absolutely! Was anyone hurt? Only my budding pride as a newbie gunsmith!

Most unintended discharges hurt no one because people are following the rule to be certain that the firearm is not pointed at anyone they are not willing to shoot.