• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry of Long Gun

Hogwit

I hope this is not against the rules being that the forum is supposed to be for handguns only, but there is written in an exception for areas where handguns are not permitted so I'm assuming there is the "unwritten exception" for someone not of age to carry a handgun.

What are the laws regarding carrying a long gun?
Is there an age restriction?
Loaded/unloaded?
Round/shell in the chamber?
Required to be in case or is a shoulder strap sufficient?
Anything else you can think of?

Things I have found:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0001.htm
Memo listed here: http://ctcarry.com/Announcement/Details/f6f5040d-2be9-4183-948a-47337bc9fd89

Hogwit

That only mentioned the firearm (not loaded/unloaded, chambered/not chambered, etc), but it states the same information that I had found. I want to find the actual law that mentions carrying a long gun.
I want to do it both as a survey (ask people how they felt) and as something educational to others, however I don't want to be arrested for a class D felony of unlawful possession of a firearm while doing so.

carsontech

Activist Member
That only mentioned the firearm (not loaded/unloaded, chambered/not chambered, etc), but it states the same information that I had found. I want to find the actual law that mentions carrying a long gun.
I want to do it both as a survey (ask people how they felt) and as something educational to others, however I don't want to be arrested for a class D felony of unlawful possession of a firearm while doing so.

I understand. The sites (sources) mentioned in that thread will help you find the statutes.

carsontech

Activist Member
This is not how laws work. Legislation is not a rulebook for how to live life.

+1

The statues the OP finds, or the lack of statues the OP sees, will help the OP along in his journey. Then he/she has to worry about case law, and even the intent of the bill that passed that put the statute(s) into place.

Last edited:

Rich B

The statues you find, or the lack of statues you find, will help you along your way. Then you have to worry about case law and even the intent of the legislation passed that put the statues into place.

This thread is seeking a legal opinion. And on a topic that is off topic for the forum.

OP:

We can likely help with this, but not through this forum.

info [at] ctcarry.com

Hogwit

From everything I have read, their is no age to carry, no checks, license, etc.
Strap is fine.

I haven't found anything regarding chamber/not and loaded/not but that hasn't been my biggest concern with what I've been looking up.
Anyone want to chime in on that?

The only thing is the new long gun eligibility certificate or whatever it's called...what does that do? Is it just for purchasing or is it for carry as well?

Hogwit

According to: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0192.htm the federal law that does not permit possession of a firearm within 1000 feet of a school does make an exception for, "anyone licensed by the state in which the school zone is located, or by a political subdivision of the state, if the law required the licensing authority to verify that the person is qualified to receive the license." That to me sounds like a pistol permit or the new long gun eligibility certificate...but I'm wondering if there is any license/permit for people under 18 years old.