• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opinion on this police bulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

onus

My co-worker got this email from the local police department.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From what I gather from the bulletin, this man was NOT arrested. However, the police are telling the public about his actions, activities and whereabouts even though what he did didn't warrant an arrest.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The purpose of the release of this information is to allow members of the public to protect themselves and their children from sex offenders

Nice

He is not in violation

What kind of registered sex offender conviction doesn't have some clause that says you can't park next to a school and watch kids? I don't like slippery slopes, but damn. That said, he's not a rapist; but he's obviously not all there.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You may want to reread the red part at the bottom of that notice (just above the yellow box) that you just posted on an Internet website, however.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Something doesn't make sense here.

The police allege they are posting the information for public safety. Yet, how is the public safer? What steps are the public supposed to take?

Did they post this in the elementary schools and notify the parents of every child? (Whereupon droves of parents pull their kids from school.)

Are they tailing him everyday at recess times and after school lets out while some children walk home?

I suspect this is just a big scare tactic and an attempt to be seen to be doing something because they don't otherwise seem to be doing anything actually effective.

Primus

Something doesn't make sense here.

The police allege they are posting the information for public safety. Yet, how is the public safer? What steps are the public supposed to take?

Did they post this in the elementary schools and notify the parents of every child? (Whereupon droves of parents pull their kids from school.)

Are they tailing him everyday at recess times and after school lets out while some children walk home?

I suspect this is just a big scare tactic and an attempt to be seen to be doing something because they don't otherwise seem to be doing anything actually effective.

? If this guy was standing out side or parked in front of your kids school you would think he's there for a kid. You then see this bulletin, remember he's a diddler and realize he's there for a kid, just not his own. Where is the confusion? It's an ALERT. Like hey if this guy is asking your kid to find his puppy, call the police. It's the whole reason they have to register. So if/when they are trying to re-offend (huge rate of re offending) at least people can be aware they are there.

They have apps that tell you if they live in your neighborhood. Why? Not so you can "take your kid from school", not so you can "tail him", so you (any parent) can be a parent and not let your kid go over there for tea and cookies or study algebra. Being a sex offender isn't something that comes up over coffee. You have to be told by someone. So this is the PD telling everyone, hey heads for this creepy guy.

onus

? If this guy was standing out side or parked in front of your kids school you would think he's there for a kid. You then see this bulletin, remember he's a diddler and realize he's there for a kid, just not his own. Where is the confusion? It's an ALERT. Like hey if this guy is asking your kid to find his puppy, call the police. It's the whole reason they have to register. So if/when they are trying to re-offend (huge rate of re offending) at least people can be aware they are there.

They have apps that tell you if they live in your neighborhood. Why? Not so you can "take your kid from school", not so you can "tail him", so you (any parent) can be a parent and not let your kid go over there for tea and cookies or study algebra. Being a sex offender isn't something that comes up over coffee. You have to be told by someone. So this is the PD telling everyone, hey heads for this creepy guy.

Why not post the bulletin at restruants ? Children eat at restruants. Why not post it at the beach ?

If the police are concerned he is breaking the law by being near schools then why are they just simply telling parents ? The police should be interviening if they think hes breaking the law.

I think its strange that police are notifying the public about a person engaging in lawful behavior.

eye95

haha, I just saw that.

Isn't that a California law cited on the poster? If you are in Idaho, you are not subject to that law. However, if you are in California (which I am damn well convinced that you are), then you have violated that law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

onus

Isn't that a California law cited on the poster? If you are in Idaho, you are not subject to that law. However, if you are in California (which I am damn well convinced that you are), then you have violated that law.

I don't know why you would be so convinced that I am in California. Is it because I said I was in California right now ? hahahaha

(c)(1)The designated law enforcement entity may authorize persons and entities who receive the information pursuant to this section to disclose information to additional persons only if the entity determines that disclosure to the additional persons will enhance the public safety and identifies the appropriate scope of further disclosure. A law enforcement entity may not authorize any disclosure of this information by its placement on an Internet Web site.

So basically a reading of the code doesn't prohibit a private person from posting it on the internet. It simply prohibits POLICE from doing so under most circumstances.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Onus has said his co-worker received this from the local police department which is in CA - it is not a inter-agency notification to an out of state LEA.

Conclusion: Onus & his co-worker are in CA.

Also there is some question as to the appropriateness of the post and using someone's picture w/o authorization.

Locking it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.