• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Public Radio interview this morning

anmut

Great job Nik - your interview skills are top notch! Overall I think a good deal of common questions and misconceptions were asked and answered. WPR isn't the first radio network one thinks of when it comes to 2A topics so kudos to them as well for addressing the issue.

FMJ45

Did the Joy Cardin show in WPR from 7am to 7:30 this morning.

Archive:

http://wpr.org/wcast/download-mp3-request.cfm?mp3file=jca101004b.mp3&iNoteID=93007

If that link doesn't work, here is another link:

http://www.wpr.org/webcasting/audioarchives_display.cfm?Code=jca

Very nice interview! Well spoken and explained. I always love the liberal media that comes out with rhetoric and public sympathy comments. Facts and common sense always turn away those though. Well done.

One of the more serious offenses in my opinion is as you mentioned . . . the fact that oaths' of office were disregarded. Blatant disregard for those will begin with more rhetorical comments of, "it's better to er on the side of caution" or "it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".

Again, well done.

Max

Outstanding job Nik. You did not miss a thing. If anyone wanted brief but thorough primer on open carry in Wisconsin that was it. It is great to think how many people were educated by listening to that broadcast. Moving the ball forward.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

great job nik as always, however I don't think it's accurate to state that a felon would never open carry, it is amazing at what criminals will and frequently do, do.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
great job nik as always, however I don't think it's accurate to state that a felon would never open carry, it is amazing at what criminals will and frequently do, do.

My comments about felon's open-carrying were based on logic and norms, not hypotheticals and anomaly.

I'm not sure it would serve the cause to incite fear among the listening public that felons "might" open-carry when it doesn't make sense that they would. AND there is no evidence they do.

My job is to spread logic and advance the cause, not substantiate myth.

Rich B

My comments about felon's open-carrying were based on logic and norms, not hypotheticals and anomaly.

I'm not sure it would serve the cause to incite fear among the listening public that felons "might" open-carry when it doesn't make sense that they would. AND there is no evidence they do.

My job is to spread logic and advance the cause, not substantiate myth.

+1

DanM

"Never" is an accurate term for behavior which is so statistically improbable that it is non-existent in the present and virtually non-existent as an expectation in the future. While you mention "it is amazing what criminals will and frequently do", and I agree that they often do surprisingly bold or surprisingly stupid things, carrying a properly holstered handgun in the open in public simply is not a thing that felons will and frequently do. They just don't do it. They never do it.

It is just as accurate to say "Men would never use panty-liners". Even though it is within the realm of possibility, it just doesn't happen.

Nik is correct in saying "never".

Last edited:
X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

"Never" is an accurate term for behavior which is so statistically improbable that it is non-existent in the present and virtually non-existent as an expectation in the future. While you mention "it is amazing what criminals will and frequently do", and I agree that they often do surprisingly bold or surprisingly stupid things, carrying a properly holstered handgun in the open in public simply is not a thing that felons will and frequently do. They just don't do it. They never do it.

It is just as accurate to say "Men would never use panty-liners". Even though it is within the realm of possibility, it just doesn't happen.

Nik is correct in saying "never".

and you know this because your a felon and don't do it ? never is a word that frankly should not be used, it's this lack of imagination that leaves people open to attacks. It's like saying marshal law will never be declared. you do not know this nor could you. I know felons who hunt openly with guns (I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS)....i suppose this also never happens in your mind.

"men would never use panty-liners" and i suppose men would "never" wear womens clothing or date another man, regardless of what most would or would not do does not leave the possibility of the unthinkable happening and if you can't see that then we seriously have nothing more to discuss for your mind is closed. go back to believing what you are told.

I do however agree stating that such a thing could happen (which it could) would go against "your" agenda's of gun rights, you are so into your rights of constitution you are simply blinded that you are a slave to a system in which gives you rules and boundaries which frankly are just methods of controling you. WAKE UP!!!!
We ALL have a god givin right and yet you choose to spend your time squabiling over your goverment givin right, thats just ammusing to me.
interesting reading if your open minded

funny how one makes an observation and suddenly gets attacked for making it. seems like a theme in this forum.

Last edited:

DanM

and you know this because your a felon and don't do it ?

No. I know this because I pay attention to news, especially law enforcement reporting. All of which demonstrably shows that felons never open carry.

never is a word that frankly should not be used

No. It should always be used if it is correct. A great example of correctness: "Felons never open carry."

It's like saying marshal law will never be declared.

No. Martial law (or something identical to it) is something that happens (example: during Hurricane Katrina). Felons open carrying is something that NEVER happens.

I know felons who hunt openly with guns (I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS)....i suppose this also never happens in your mind.

We're talking about felons open carrying (i.e., carrying a holstered handgun in the open in public). We're not talking about felons hunting with guns. The statement was "Felons never open carry." Open carry has a specific meaning in the context of Nik's use, and the context of this website, and it doesn't mean felons hunting with guns. Stay on what Nik said in context, not other completely different hypothetical statements.

"men would never use panty-liners" and i suppose men would "never" wear womens clothing or date another man, regardless of what most would or would not do does not leave the possibility of the unthinkable happening

You are not recognizing the difference between things that are in evidence as happening and those that have no evidence of happening:
--Men using panty-liners: absolutely no evidence, news, studies, etc. that this happens.
--Men wearing women's clothes: plenty of evidence that this happens.
--Men dating other men: plenty of evidence that this happens.

Thus, the full weight of information and reporting relevant to the question of whether or not felons open carry demonstrates felons NEVER open carry, but if you have evidence that they do then please share it. And stick to "open carry" as used in the context of the open carry movement, which is the way Nik clearly meant it: carry of a properly holstered handgun in the open in public.

I do however agree stating that such a thing could happen (which it could) would go against "your" agenda's of gun rights

Stating that felons open carry is a lie. Whatever your agenda, it is best served by being truthful. And the truth is that felons never open carry.

funny how one makes an observation and suddenly gets attacked for making it.

I don't think you should confuse debate about what you said as an attack. If you say things that people disagree with, they are going to share their disagreement. That's all it is.

Last edited:

Old Grump

I woke up and the interview was just starting. I'm glad you had Joy doing the interview instead of a couple of other people on that station. I still miss Tom Clark in that spot but she does good and it was great to hear you on the show doing a great job.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

No. I know this because I pay attention to news, especially law enforcement reporting. All of which demonstrably shows that felons never open carry.

No. It should always be used if it is correct. A great example of correctness: "Felons never open carry."

No. Martial law (or something identical to it) is something that happens (example: during Hurricane Katrina). Felons open carrying is something that NEVER happens.

We're talking about felons open carrying (i.e., carrying a holstered handgun in the open in public). We're not talking about felons hunting with guns. The statement was "Felons never open carry." Open carry has a specific meaning in the context of Nik's use, and the context of this website, and it doesn't mean felons hunting with guns. Stay on what Nik said in context, not other completely different hypothetical statements.

You are not recognizing the difference between things that are in evidence as happening and those that have no evidence of happening:
--Men using panty-liners: absolutely no evidence, news, studies, etc. that this happens.
--Men wearing women's clothes: plenty of evidence that this happens.
--Men dating other men: plenty of evidence that this happens.

Thus, the full weight of information and reporting relevant to the question of whether or not felons open carry demonstrates felons NEVER open carry, but if you have evidence that they do then please share it. And stick to "open carry" as used in the context of the open carry movement, which is the way Nik clearly meant it: carry of a properly holstered handgun in the open in public.

Stating that felons open carry is a lie. Whatever your agenda, it is best served by being truthful. And the truth is that felons never open carry.

I don't think you should confuse debate about what you said as an attack. If you say things that people disagree with, they are going to share their disagreement. That's all it is.

Do you seriously think a felon WOULD NEVER open carry, this statment is just incorrect.

you state this as though it's a fact a felon would never do it, like you suddenly speak for all felons and are an expert on the habbits of a felon, GET F'N REAL!!!!

Last edited:

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Nik, you are an excellent spokesman and you devote an incredible amount of time to this organization. I could not do nearly as well and I am very grateful you are on the side of open carry. That said, my preference is that you refrain from using the word "never" when speaking of whether felons would ever open carry. When engaged in argument or debate the use of "Always" and "Never" will favor your opponent since they need only a single exception to disprove or undermine your position. Certainly we could look to the records from Alaska, Arizona or Vermont to see if they have ever had a single recorded incidence of a felon who engaged in open carry. While I admit the surprise would be a pleasant one for OC advocates in Wisconsin, I would be very surprised indeed if they haven't had a single recorded event of a felon engaged in open carry.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
It goes without saying there are no absolutes.

If radio programs lasted hours and the point was to philosophize and brainstorm hypotheticals you could offer a countless number of possible scenario's along with an in-depth discussion of the likely hood (or lack there-of) and ramifications of each hypothetical.

I don't go on radio programs to brainstorm, nor discuss anomalies but to deliver a direct and unequivocal message that is based on the reality and logic that supports our message.

To give "equal time" to the suggestion that criminals could hypothetically open-carry next to the reality that there is no evidence or logic for them to do so (quite the contrary) would not support an accurate message.

I'll leave the perpetuation of myth and offerings of illogical scenario's to the anti's.

DanM

I don't go on radio programs to brainstorm, nor discuss anomalies but to deliver a direct and unequivocal message that is based on the reality and logic that supports our message.

I fully agree with Nik. The direct and unequivocal message in the criminology and law enforcement literature about the way criminals carry is clear. The fact that criminals never carry properly holstered handguns in the open in public is a settled matter of fact in criminology and law enforcement literature.

One of the most well-known FBI studies is "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers". The quotes below are from that.

Firearm Concealment and Storage

In the current study, when asked to identify their method of carrying a handgun on their person . . .

As I indicated with bold type, this section about criminals carrying a handgun even begins with the fact that nothing other than concealed carry by criminals happens.

Traits of Armed Individuals

. . . firearms, specifically handguns, are the weapon of choice for offenders . . . In fact, numerous incidents occurred where the offenders produced handguns and caught the officers unaware.

As I indicated in bold, this literature reinforces the fact that criminals never open carry. They produce handguns from concealment and catch their victims unaware. That is the way criminals do it. Period.

Later in the same section:

After reflecting on the hundreds of law enforcement felonious deaths and assault incidents that they had examined, the investigators . . . decided to include some suggestions to help law enforcement officers improve their skills in detecting firearms . . .

As I indicate in bold, the weight of law enforcement documentation of criminals is that they ONLY conceal handguns (until the moment of committing crime, of course), which necessitates skill in detecting firearms on criminals. BECAUSE CRIMINALS NEVER OPEN CARRY HANDGUNS.

In the context Nik and other participants in the open carry movement have consistently used it, "open carry" means wear of a properly holstered handgun visible to public view at all times. Criminals, including felons, never do this.

Last edited: