• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawsuit to allow carry in Post Office facilities

PT111

This case has a very good chance of winning due to the "unique" circumstances laid out in the complaint. This is a much better case than one that we all want to file just so we can carry at the post office. The NAGR has been able to find someone with a real need and justification from all angles much like the Heller case in DC. No holes for the post office to pick apart. I think we have a winner here folks. When you file a lawsuit you have a much better chance if you can show actual damages or need. Just like the Heller case out of the 12(?) original complaintants only one actually made it all the way.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I did not realize I couldn't have my unloaded, encased firearm in the trunk of my car on post office property. Is that right? My post office has on street parking so I haven't violated but really?

protias

I did not realize I couldn't have my unloaded, encased firearm in the trunk of my car on post office property. Is that right? My post office has on street parking so I haven't violated but really?
Probably due to it being federal property, but that's just a guess.

Flash Gordon

Probably due to it being federal property, but that's just a guess.

the post office is technically a private agency that is just given a government protected monopoly on letter delivery. I've never read anything saying one way or the other that the building and property is federally owned or not, so you might be right.

KBCraig

the post office is technically a private agency that is just given a government protected monopoly on letter delivery. I've never read anything saying one way or the other that the building and property is federally owned or not, so you might be right.

Since the ban on firearms on USPS property is a rule promulgated by USPS in the Code of Federal Regulations, I'd say they would lose any attempt to claim they're not an agency of the federal government.

Even that rule is internally contradictory: that are lots of people legally carrying guns into post offices every day, in order to ship them. Their claim of banning all guns fails on its face.

apjonas

Handguns are not mailable

Since the ban on firearms on USPS property is a rule promulgated by USPS in the Code of Federal Regulations, I'd say they would lose any attempt to claim they're not an agency of the federal government.

Even that rule is internally contradictory: that are lots of people legally carrying guns into post offices every day, in order to ship them. Their claim of banning all guns fails on its face.

except in certain well-defined circumstances that pretty much exclude the average owner. In any event, those circumstances are set forth elsewhere in the postal regulations and when read in toto create exceptions to the general rule.

littlewolf

except in certain well-defined circumstances that pretty much exclude the average owner. In any event, those circumstances are set forth elsewhere in the postal regulations and when read in toto create exceptions to the general rule.

Manufacturers and dealers can ship via USPS provided they fill out a ps1508 for each shipment. Cheapest way to ship !

J.Gleason

Banned
I guess the feds still don't realize that when a postal worker literally goes postal it may not be only the post office employees he tries to kill. It is a sad day when the postage stamp makes more cents/sense than the Government and the laws they create.