• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urgent Legislative Alert 1-15-11 — Constitutional Carry

MamaLiberty

This looks like a good one, folks. We need to support it.

http://wyominggunowners.org/urgent-legislative-alert-1-15-1/
WyGO - Wyoming's Only No-Compromise Organization
Urgent Legislative Alert 1-15-11 — Constitutional Carry
By Staff Writer on Saturday, January 15, 2011
Filed Under: Alerts

Dear Friends of Liberty,

I need your help!

Constitutional Carry legislation ‘SF-47’ is to be heard in a Senate Committee on Tuesday January 18th.

It is urgent that you contact the Senate Committee members immediately and let them know that you want to restore the Constitution in Wyoming by passing ‘SF-47’.

Note: SF-47 does NOT remove the ability of a citizen to acquire a concealed carry permit.

If passed, our Constitutional Carry legislation SF-47 would restore the right of every law-abiding Wyoming citizen to carry a gun to protect themselves and their families — WITHOUT going through a bunch of bureaucratic rigmarole!

In short, if you’re legally able to own a firearm, you’re legally able to carry it. Period.

t3a1s5

Also note that the current version of this bill does NOT have the unconstitutional provision that non-permit concealed carriers MUST INFORM LEO's like last year's version did. This is a major improvement over last year's version.

Don't let them add the "must inform" provision. If "must inform" is added, I will strenuously oppose this bill.

March Hare

Also note that the current version of this bill does NOT have the unconstitutional provision that non-permit concealed carriers MUST INFORM LEO's like last year's version did. This is a major improvement over last year's version.

Don't let them add the "must inform" provision. If "must inform" is added, I will strenuously oppose this bill.

That's what was added to our bill to get the LE community to accept it. Now we're working on getting that wording removed as well.

Don't oppose the bill, work to get it passed. Laws and sausages, two things you don't want to watch being made!
A small victory is still a victory. Eating an elephant - one bite at a time!

I wish you all the best luck in the world!

-MH

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

Passed through committee

The Jaggi-Jennings Constitutional Carry bill, SF-47, has passed through its first hurdle and is set to move on to the Senate floor for a final vote. This is great news, and it is all because of your phone calls and emails to the Senators on the committee.

The committee passed the bill on a 4-to-1 vote. Senator John Hines (R-Gillette) was the only Senator who was opposed Constitutional Carry. At the beginning of the meeting, Senator Hines said that he had received a flood of emails urging him to pass this legislation, but he chose to ignore them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Object to it. Try to keep it out and keep the bill clean, but if it must remain support it. Work after the fact to get "must inform" removed.

MamaLiberty

NO compromise!!

Object to it. Try to keep it out and keep the bill clean, but if it must remain support it. Work after the fact to get "must inform" removed.

Not a chance, Grapeshot. It just doesn't work that way. How much of the "Patriot Act" have you been able to peel back?

We are fighting hard for this, but we're not going to buy a pig in a poke.

Here is the latest. How much of this should we buy into and then think we can get rid of later?

Constitutional Carry moves forward, but now faces poisonous threats!

The good news is that Constitutional Carry passed its first hurdle on the Senate floor today, and our vote on passage could come as soon as tomorrow. The bad news is that anti-gunners are making a last-ditch effort to mutilate the bill into a business as usual government permit system.

The Jaggi-Jennings Constitutional Carry bill, SF-47, is going to be voted on soon, but some Senators are now attempting to tack on amendments to the bill strip away real Constitutional Carry.

One of the worst amendments would require all law-abiding citizens who wish to carry a firearm to also pay for and enroll in a government sanctioned training program, then carry a government approved card showing completion of the program.

Let's see... Fees? Yep. Forms and paperwork? Yep. Government sanctioned cards that must be carried with you? Yep, again.

If that sounds just like another government permit system, that's because it is!

This is just one example of the amendments being lined up to destroy the bill. In politics, we call those "poison pill" amendments. This is a textbook example of political insiders trying to destroy Constitutional Carry in Wyoming.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not a chance, Grapeshot. It just doesn't work that way. How much of the "Patriot Act" have you been able to peel back?

We are fighting hard for this, but we're not going to buy a pig in a poke.

You obviously know what is transpiring there far better that I do. My primary intent was to wish you well and "give 'em hell" as I know you will. :D

MamaLiberty

You obviously know what is transpiring there far better that I do. My primary intent was to wish you well and "give 'em hell" as I know you will. :D

Thanks. Sorry I jumped on you.

I just hear so much of this "take whatever we can get and sort it out later" stuff. We know from hard experience that it just doesn't work that way. We killed a bill last year that was supposed to eliminate the "permit," but it would have given serious new powers to the police to disarm us at any time they chose! Not negotiable.

Now we're fighting a whole host of new restrictions and outright power grabs. Makes me sick that the legislature and the cops organizations right here in Wyoming can even think of doing this to us.

We've been peacefully carrying here for many long years, and we sure don't need any new restrictions or "laws." We just need to be left alone. sigh

The one bill we really want to see is the total repeal of the entire "concealed carry" section of the Wyoming statute, but this bill - clean - is the best we're likely to get. So we are already compromising as much as we intend to.

t3a1s5

I got to talk to three legislators last Thursday evening for an extended period of time. I expressed my strong opinion that this bill was best without any amendments. They all agreed.They all thought its chances were good, and they would try to keep those ugly amendments away from it.
Two of the legislators are in leadership positions, one in the house, and one in the senate. I think things look good.

Last edited:

Huck

The committee passed the bill on a 4-to-1 vote. Senator John Hines (R-Gillette) was the only Senator who was opposed Constitutional Carry. At the beginning of the meeting, Senator Hines said that he had received a flood of emails urging him to pass this legislation, but he chose to ignore them.

I'm sorry if I'm sidetracking from the thread, but it looks to me like Hines needs to be replaced since he chooses to ignore the will of his constituants. After all, he was voted into office to represent his constituants, not his own personal agenda.

bobcat

Well, looks like it passed the Senate, 20-10.

Anyone know if the bill was passed with purity or had nasty amendments attached?

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_9ff4a116-2813-11e0-ad3a-001cc4c002e0.html

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Wyoming residents would be able to carry concealed guns without a state permit under a bill that has cleared the state Senate.
The Wyoming Senate voted 20-10 on Monday in favor of the bill, sponsored by Casper Republican Sen. Kit Jennings.
If the bill ultimately becomes law, Wyoming would join Alaska, Arizona and Vermont as states that don't require citizens to have permits to carry concealed weapons.
Supporters of the Wyoming bill say generally that the state and federal constitutions guarantee the people's right to carry guns. They also say criminals are already carrying concealed weapons.
Some opponents of the bill say they're concerned that it would encourage untrained people to carry guns. The bill now goes to the Wyoming House.

March Hare

Well, looks like it passed the Senate, 20-10.

Anyone know if the bill was passed with purity or had nasty amendments attached?

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_9ff4a116-2813-11e0-ad3a-001cc4c002e0.html

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Wyoming residents would be able to carry concealed guns without a state permit under a bill that has cleared the state Senate.
The Wyoming Senate voted 20-10 on Monday in favor of the bill, sponsored by Casper Republican Sen. Kit Jennings.
If the bill ultimately becomes law, Wyoming would join Alaska, Arizona and Vermont as states that don't require citizens to have permits to carry concealed weapons.
Supporters of the Wyoming bill say generally that the state and federal constitutions guarantee the people's right to carry guns. They also say criminals are already carrying concealed weapons.
Some opponents of the bill say they're concerned that it would encourage untrained people to carry guns. The bill now goes to the Wyoming House.

I hope it passes without any 'nasty bits' added, that way we can use your state as an example for removing the 'must notify' piece from AZ law.

Good luck to you on this!

-MH

MamaLiberty

As far as I know, nothing was added. The house may attempt to do so, however, so it is important to remain in contact with the legislators and discourage this idea.

A point you might make is that qualified, certified instructors are available, and will remain so. I have never met a person who was interested in carrying a gun who didn't want at least the basic training. Criminals and fools would be an exception, of course, but nobody can do anything about them by passing more laws.

What the legislature must be reminded of is the fact that personal behavior or motivation cannot be legislated! It is not possible to write a "law" that will prevent malevolence, stupidity or carelessness. Those can only be dealt with on the spot, and after the fact.

Huck

It is not possible to write a "law" that will prevent malevolence, stupidity or carelessness. Those can only be dealt with on the spot, and after the fact.

After 30 years as a Fireman, I'm here to tell you that you hit the nail right on the head Mama! It's too bad that many of the so called "lawmakers" refuse to see it.

MamaLiberty

After 30 years as a Fireman, I'm here to tell you that you hit the nail right on the head Mama! It's too bad that many of the so called "lawmakers" refuse to see it.

If they could see that, they wouldn't be politicians to start with. How would that give them any job security? In order to be "lawmakers," they have to make endless "laws" or stay home.