• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kinda stiff fine for brandishing

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
By the way, it's not all that steep a fine. The maximum fine is $2,500.00, and people get fines for misdemeanors in that range as a usual thing. I'm surprised it wasn't steeper, given a conviction.

Did you drop a few zeroes? The guy got nailed for a quarter-million bucks, which iirc is the actual maximum fine.

The difference between $2,500.00 and $2,500,000.00 could be dipping into petty cash or needing to sell off everything both moveable and nailed down and still being a bit short.

stay safe.

2a4all

Did you drop a few zeroes? The guy got nailed for a quarter-million bucks, which iirc is the actual maximum fine.

The difference between $2,500.00 and $2,500,000.00 could be dipping into petty cash or needing to sell off everything both moveable and nailed down and still being a bit short.

stay safe.
Skid, you've added an extra zero. A quarter million would be $250,000.00.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skid, you've added an extra zero. A quarter million would be $250,000.00.

I add a zero, User drops a zero. Pretty soon we are both going to have jobs with the federal government <spit!> as economists <spit! spit!>

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I add a zero, User drops a zero. Pretty soon we are both going to have jobs with the federal government <spit!> as economists <spit! spit!>

stay safe.

Or ecumenicists. Hell, if I could do arithmetic, I wouldn't have had to have become an attorney!

Marco

I think everyone who posted is right to some degree considering what we know TJ.

There are three issues though.

First, would he be convicted if not killed. Absolutely! That's a fight you won't win even if you win the gunfight.

Second, was he justified. Skidmark said it all.

This fellow violated my golden rule. Never try to intimidate someone with a gun. Pull the gun and pull the trigger...period.
The old adages still apply. Draw me not without reason, sheath me not without honor.

Last is his age. There are very few good things about getting older but one, especially when you know you're near the end...is that you an put honor above reason or fear, because there's very little to lose. The fellow was 79.
I doubt he cares about a fine because I doubt he pays it.
I doubt he would care about jail time because that just makes the Feds pay for the funeral.
I doubt he cares about being killed because it beats going in a hospital bed.

I'd say the agents were the lucky ones!

1+